What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siebold first impressions

Rsag85

Bench
That's your opinion. But I think it's more a matter of Madge was the issue.

You could well be right but we'll see in 2018.

I've been very impressed with Seibold so far.

But why set the club backwards with a young coach that might not turn out to be the best fit for the squad.... already had 12 months as a type of coach for the club and didn’t go so well. My pick for the club is finishing in the bottom end of the table yet again maybe even getting the wooden spoon. I think the club has and continues to make big mistakes and just keep digging them selves in a hole and this has continued for years now.

southsport

First Grade
But why set the club backwards with a young coach that might not turn out to be the best fit for the squad.... already had 12 months as a type of coach for the club and didn’t go so well. My pick for the club is finishing in the bottom end of the table yet again maybe even getting the wooden spoon. I think the club has and continues to make big mistakes and just keep digging them selves in a hole and this has continued for years now.

Madge was big problem IMO, I'm expecting the young blokes to step up next year.

callmack1

Staff member
I disagree. I think Seibold could be the one to put us back on track or at least improve us for a big 2019. We needed a change and promoting from within is the right way to go.

It's also important to note that Seibs was a big part of a successful Maroons campaign.

That's just my opinion and like I said, time will tell.

Rsag85

Bench
I disagree. I think Seibold could be the one to put us back on track or at least improve us for a big 2019. We needed a change and promoting from within is the right way to go.

It's also important to note that Seibs was a big part of a successful Maroons campaign.

That's just my opinion and like I said, time will tell.

He might do well but there are still some big issues at the club and people involved in the club who shouldn’t be apart of the side

callmack1

Staff member
You can't bring Seibs down because he's young either.

Look at Trent Robinson at the Chooks, he's very young for a coach and got a Premiership in his first year. I'm not saying we'll reach those heights but young coaches can be great.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Too many on this forum for these past 2-3 seasons keep saying we will be fine it's all good......

Reality seems to have gone out the window.....

Madge when he came to us won a premiership as head coach in the UK and the Challenge Cup or whatever they call it over there......

Seibs has had more minor roles and no other head coaching experience which is a worry.........

A big worry of mine is Seibs was defensive coach last season and he stuffed up big time.... the boys tackling technique at times was in all sorts and that comes on him quite a bit......

Now we are giving him a squad with mainly footballers who have flopped at other clubs plus senior players that are very injury prone plus a few young guys that haven't cut it thus far a bunch of rookies......... it is an uphill battle and I don't feel we have the right assistants etc...... in place for him.....

His methodologies and things could work but at this point we need to get back to the basics....... he says he will fix our attack well you need your f**king defence in order first............. that's what he should've come out and said.....

He shouldn't have come out and said what most of our spine will be either as those players can coast along now and feel safe......... that was the wrong thing to do......

He shouldn't have come out and said it'd be a good idea to move Sam to the second row either...... that's a big no no!!!!!!

Then you've got guys in here saying oh start Zane........ well Zane can't even make the Samoan football team so that shows he is not coming on in leaps and bounds..... he mustn't have really shone through for the Samoan coach in the background.....

Yes there are positives re Seibs but too many in here aren't willing to look at the negatives.......

I've tried doing that before and there is even more disappointment once reality kicks in so you may as well weigh up both and be prepared just in case.......

Let's blame Madge everyone says........

What about the recruitment officer????

What about Richo???

What about the players saying they have been trained too hard........ plus the general culture in the place.....

For all you guys placing faith in Seibold to "turn us around", what are you actually basing that on?

Apart from a head coaching gig at the South Wales Scorpions where he took that team to the playoffs.. Big deal... He has absolutely no experience as a head coach anywhere.

Assistant at the Storm... So what?. So was Madge and also Stephen Kearney so that gives you both ends of the spectrum right there and shows that working with Bellamy is no guarantee of credentials.

Assistant at Manly... Who cares?

Assistant to the QLD origin team... Easiest job in the world.

Assistant and defensive coach at Souths last year... Those results speak for themselves.

He comes off as an intelligent guy and a good speaker but this is no guarantee of success. Wayne Bennett is arguably the greatest coach ever and he sounds like a complete dunce.

Seibold is a big fan of tactical periodisation and is going to base our season around that. Sounds great... Seems to work in soccer and some other sports but what if it doesn't work in Rugby League? Besides... If the theory is so good, why haven't other NRL coaches jumped on it? It's been around for years in other sports and guys like Bellamy and Hasler are always looking for an edge, why haven't they taken it up?

Look... Seibold could well be a great coach and an outrageous success. Don't think I'm death riding him, because I'm not. I hope he comes up with the goods and we're all talking about contract extensions for him at the end of next year.

All I'm saying is that the exposed evidence about him is that he's a complete novice first grade coach with a non existent history of success and he's spruiking a completely unproven theory in Rugby League.

He can sound intelligent at every interview from here until February but until we start winning some games under him I'm going to be a massive skeptic.

The whole thing, to me, stinks of the club stuffing up by extending Madges contract for three years, only to terminate him a year later and then looking for the cheapest way out.

If I had a million dollars to bet, I'd even be placing it on Furner being offered the role first over Seibold and knocking it back.

Basically, good luck Anthony. I really hope you have the goods but I honestly reckon you've been thrown in the deep end and we'll be treading water with you until 2020 when we can afford to pay someone better.

Galeforce

Bench
Rabbits20 and DKOR
wow , get a life .

Souths have already made key decision on players and coach etc for 2018.

You do not like clubs decisions , do not like our chances , fine , say that and move on and go bet on Souths to miss the final 8 in 2018.

As for me , i keep sane , by looking forward to coming season and will wait to see how the team / coach perform. There is NO VALUE on death riding now , Deathriding now changes nothing in the clubs decision , only gives you two ability to say "I told you so " if the season goes bad. A shallow award to seek.

The only reason i tune into this forum now is to hear latest on player status and hopefully good news on Angus/Fuimaono etc .

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Rabbits20 and DKOR
wow , get a life .

You do not like clubs decisions , do not like our chances , fine , say that and move on and go bet on Souths to miss the final 8 in 2018.

As for me , i keep sane , by looking forward to coming season and will wait to see how the team / coach perform. There is NO VALUE on death riding now , Deathriding now changes nothing in the clubs decision , only gives you two ability to say "I told you so " if the season goes bad. A shallow award to seek.

The only reason i tune into this forum now is to hear latest on player status and hopefully good news on Angus/Fuimaono etc .
Careful @Galeforce last time I questioned people about next year's prospects I had my comments deleted and was told to "give it a break"

If people want to play the "no hope" card I'd suggest it's because they've done it all they're life

Rabbits20

Immortal
Rabbits20 and DKOR
wow , get a life .

I'm saying it as I see it but of course I want us to do well.....

Of course I want us to make the finals...

There is absolutely no basis for the rampant optimism being displayed around Seibold. Pointing this out is not deathriding the club. I’m merely stating a fact.

If we do well this year it’ll be more to do with good luck than good management.

doyen

Bench
Who has performed for STHS in the past couple of years??

Certainly not Madge--his record in that period was awful!!

The players overall too were terribly inconsistent to say the least!! They certainly weren't playing for Madge.

Seibold was probably doing his best to back up a dud head coach & a group of disinterested players who a lot of the time were tackle shy. He was probably just following Madge's ideas anyway--so blame Madge!
Seibold,on the surface anyway,looks like he's inherited a lemon.

If he does well with this group he'll be a genius & a hero!!!

southsport

First Grade
There is absolutely no basis for the rampant optimism being displayed around Seibold. Pointing this out is not deathriding the club. I’m merely stating a fact.

If we do well this year it’ll be more to do with good luck than good management.

There is a basis for optimism..........Madge is gone!

Pommy

Coach
Too many on this forum for these past 2-3 seasons keep saying we will be fine it's all good......

Reality seems to have gone out the window.....

Don’t you see the irony in this whilst advocating for Madge to stay?