What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simon Mannering under pressure to retain Kiwis spot

TheDMC

Bench
This article proves what I have always said for years now about Simon Mannering. You will not win titles with him in your side. He absolutely has a NEGATIVE effect on any team on attack. Im sorry but if you take off your rose colored glasses Warriors fans you will see what everybody else sees. He dies ball in hand and is super predictable, he poses no dilemmas what soever when marking him.

Wonderful defender but he is a very incomplete footballer in a vital position. Pity as he could of been developed in a Matt Gillett type player.

Warriors fans make legends out of gritty defenders - Champion, Luck, Mannering - wont win you jack shit though. Glad the Kiwis actually are thinking about winning a world cup this time around.

He will still be in the squad I suspect but he wouldnt be in my 17 either.

I've watched a tonne of Bronco games and imo Gillet is a little better in attack but not much. He gets more opportunities cause his team isn't anywhere near as crap.

morningstar

Juniors
This article proves what I have always said for years now about Simon Mannering. You will not win titles with him in your side.

Apart from a world cup and two four nations. Tit.

Simon's played one game while Kidwell has been coach, how can he be the scapegoat for this shit show?

JJ

Immortal
Soo funny

Mannering in question while Blair is picked lolololololol

Iron Lion

Juniors
I've watched a tonne of Bronco games and imo Gillet is a little better in attack but not much. He gets more opportunities cause his team isn't anywhere near as crap.

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

No just noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Iron Lion

Juniors
No, I absolutely agree, you have the judgment of Tony Iro, or even David Kidwell.

Please, if Mannering didn't have to do ALL the defensive work at the Warriors, we'd see just how good he is with ball in hand. He's shown it in other years when there's been other players to tackle as well

Warriors Mannering fans love throwing out this line every year or seemingly every game.

If my Uncle was my Aunty etc

There is no if's there is just reality. Mannering is a mighty fine defender but that is about it he has got. In all honesty he is a bottom 3 team player. No team like Storm, Broncos, Roosters and Cowboys etc would ever carry such a player in their top 17 - why? because you wont win titles with this type of player in your team.

Players these days need to be more complete than ever before, hence the kiwis waking up to him probably not being the best type of player to have in your starting line up as he will more likely lose you the game than win it. Just simple facts.

Will upset many but glad this article is out in the open because the better football minds know this is true.

JJ

Immortal
Storm have (or have had) Harris, Proctor, Finucane all of whom Mannering is better than

Broncos currently have Blair in the middle, plus Glenn - and there's not such a difference between Gillett and Mannering

Cowboys have Lowe, Cooper, - and actually I'll just end this by saying Sean Fensom... if you serous think Blair or Fensom are better middle forwards than Mannering you're certifiable - at least with Fincane you could have a discussion - and of course Mannering can do everything Harris, Proctor, Lowe and Cooper do... just he doesn't get to play on an edge

Iron Lion

Juniors
Storm have (or have had) Harris, Proctor, Finucane all of whom Mannering is better than

Broncos currently have Blair in the middle, plus Glenn - and there's not such a difference between Gillett and Mannering

Cowboys have Lowe, Cooper, - and actually I'll just end this by saying Sean Fensom... if you serous think Blair or Fensom are better middle forwards than Mannering you're certifiable - at least with Fincane you could have a discussion - and of course Mannering can do everything Harris, Proctor, Lowe and Cooper do... just he doesn't get to play on an edge

Sorry but you have completely fooled yourself into thinking Mannering is more than what he is. All those players you mentioned offer far more presence on attack than Mannering does yet these same players are very basic footballers. Not sure if you watched the Storm vs Broncos game last night but there is a clear difference between quality from Harris and Blair to Mannering and not in Mannerings favor. Harris and Blair both have more presence with the ball and punch into the line where Mannering jogs to the line. Clear difference and the Kiwi coaching staff know that. They are looking for players who break tackles and not necessary break lines. Very obvious and clear shift of what the top NRL teams are looking for with modern players. Blair has reinvented himself as a David Solomona type offloader. Im not sure you could find room for Blair, Harris and Mannering in the same 17 to win a world cup. In fact I already know that you couldnt. Play those 3 and the kiwis wont win the word cup.

Lowe and Cooper are both more impacting ball runners than Mannering which would most likely be reflected in tackle breaks over a season.

Kiwis know what the Australian Forward will look like and its scary. Id imagine the tackle breaking stats their line up would produce would already be deep in Kiwi coaching thought process. Gillett will be a lynch pin of that backrow. To say Gillett and Mannering are similar is like saying Justin Murphy was similar to Jonah Lomu. Good laugh that.

You cant win games if your 2nd row dont break tackles, from what I see even Finucane does that better than Mannering. Finucane probably will not be playing for Australia at the world cup.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
IMG_2612.PNG IMG_2613.PNG IMG_2614.PNG IMG_2615.PNG IMG_2616.PNG IMG_2617.PNG IMG_2618.PNG
Sorry but you have completely fooled yourself into thinking Mannering is more than what he is. All those players you mentioned offer far more presence on attack than Mannering does yet these same players are very basic footballers. Not sure if you watched the Storm vs Broncos game last night but there is a clear difference between quality from Harris and Blair to Mannering and not in Mannerings favor. Harris and Blair both have more presence with the ball and punch into the line where Mannering jogs to the line. Clear difference and the Kiwi coaching staff know that. They are looking for players who break tackles and not necessary break lines. Very obvious and clear shift of what the top NRL teams are looking for with modern players. Blair has reinvented himself as a David Solomona type offloader. Im not sure you could find room for Blair, Harris and Mannering in the same 17 to win a world cup. In fact I already know that you couldnt. Play those 3 and the kiwis wont win the word cup.

Lowe and Cooper are both more impacting ball runners than Mannering which would most likely be reflected in tackle breaks over a season.

Kiwis know what the Australian Forward will look like and its scary. Id imagine the tackle breaking stats their line up would produce would already be deep in Kiwi coaching thought process. Gillett will be a lynch pin of that backrow. To say Gillett and Mannering are similar is like saying Justin Murphy was similar to Jonah Lomu. Good laugh that.

You cant win games if your 2nd row dont break tackles, from what I see even Finucane does that better than Mannering. Finucane probably will not be playing for Australia at the world cup.

The numbers don't match up with your assessments

Iron Lion

Juniors
Tackle breaks
Tackle breaks
Tackle breaks
Tackle breaks
Tackle breaks
Tackle breaks
Tackle breaks
Tackle breaks
Tackle breaks

For you more simple folks on here - that's what matters most for modern day 2nd rowers. How does Mannering rate there? This is the MAJOR reason for his non inclusion discussion with the Kiwi coaching staff.

Bit disappointed guys, I know your amateurs but I thought at least you followed the game a little bit!

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Please take time to ready my posts correctly before replying. Much appreciated.

"Presence on attack" I believe you wrote, Mannerings metres are all over the others. If you believe the only stat to base a second rower on is tackle breaks you've got a funny way of looking at the game

In your eyes Kenny Edwards is a better playing than Sam Burgess based on that ...

TheDMC

Bench
I'm sure Gilettes 2.16 tackle breaks per game is the main reason Brisbane got to the prelim final, and will be the reason Aussie win the World Cup. Lol dude, your so full of it, funny part is your utter delusion and lack of self awareness.

Iron Lion

Juniors
I'm sure Gilettes 2.16 tackle breaks per game is the main reason Brisbane got to the prelim final, and will be the reason Aussie win the World Cup. Lol dude, your so full of it, funny part is your utter delusion and lack of self awareness.

If you believe that then why are the Kiwis discussing Mannerings Role in squad?

I got it on good authority that is the key reason, this is not a new discussion either.

Gillette is just a dam better player - SIMPLE.

jaseg

Juniors
Gillett plays in a better system and in his best position - Simon does neither, yet performs at a high level. He started drifting wider in attack in the second half of the season, and guess what? His scoring rate more than tripled. Wow, that a surprise... except I could have told you that would happen 2 bloody years ago - because he's an edge forward being used to cover the fact that our recruitment isn't getting what we need... quality middles (no, Blair is not that).

Using the Kiwis selectors as evidence that you're right says it all. They chose Blair as captain, are still considering JWH... probably keen on Kahu too, and have little to no interest in Marshall. Tells you all you need to know - they don't have a clue.

Iafeta

Referee
If you believe that then why are the Kiwis discussing Mannerings Role in squad?

I got it on good authority that is the key reason, this is not a new discussion either.

Gillette is just a dam better player - SIMPLE.

He's so good you can't even spell his name.

So when does Watmough and Matai arrive for preseason?

Credibility for you... nought and descending at a rapid rate. The only way is up, except for you. Well done.