Sione

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights' started by Woosh, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Knight Vision

Knight Vision Juniors

he's down as second row, I wasnt aware he played mostly up front last year. Still I think it goes some way to illustrate that Sione isnt too far off the mark for a young bloke

2. macavity

macavity Coach

Not death riding at all. He is in red and blue, I want him to succeed. I just think some in here massively over rate him because he is decent “for us”...

3. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Pretty typical Newcastle...

We get a junior with a bit of talent, talk them up like the next Immortal, pay them way too much and then talk longingly about what SHOULD have been.

Sione's good, but keep some perspective. He hasnt earned his reputation yet, but he's also only 21...

4. Spot On

Spot On Coach

I think Mac is referring to Jamie Buhrer Doc. That's how I read the quoted post anyway.

5. Tom155

Tom155 First Grade

6. Knight Vision

Knight Vision Juniors

goes to show the arm chair critics bagging this bloke have no f**king idea what theyre talking about. The hatred for the kid on the other site ( particularly by one cretin ) is nothing short of bizarre.

7. Knight Vision

Knight Vision Juniors

Bring it home Knights likes this.
  8. Spot On

Spot On Coach

Is that the same bloke that was calling for Brown to be sacked for the past 12 months? Bizarre some of them over there indeed.

9. BuderusIsaBeast

BuderusIsaBeast Juniors

The biggest thing I think people forget with Sione is he’s still only 21 years of age. Only 1 year older then Jessie Ramien and Lamb, 3 years younger then Moga, and the same age as the Saifiti bros and Watson.

There is a lot of growth and improvement in his game yet as long as he stays healthy

10. BuderusIsaBeast

BuderusIsaBeast Juniors

Clearly a troll

Knight Vision likes this.
  11. Glendale

Glendale Juniors

Ignore Woosh guys, don't give the guy attention.

12. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Can any one seriously say get rid of Sione when we have just lost our only other centre to a serious injury. FACT at this stage Sione is our best centre, if your not happy with that blame it on recruitment, Moga out injured and no sign of anyone in res stepping up.

13. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 Bench

About where I hoped we would be this year. No better no worse.

With Moga done and Watson out long term the Pythian sacking starts to hurt more....

14. Knight Vision

Knight Vision Juniors

it is the same guy from the other forum.
    Bags the kid out at every turn. The vitriol borders on bizarre, I'd say Sione banged his boyfriend.

15. slotmachine

slotmachine Bench

Imo after 70 odd nrl games he is no better or worse than when he debuted.

Apey likes this.
  16. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

Sione is a difficult one to gage because every year he’s pushed to a new position and we change the way he’s supposed to play. He can’t just develop normally because every year we seem to change what he needs to do.

We bulked him up and pushed him to the back row in 2016-2017, he excelled, but he kept getting concussed so we had to move him + we didn’t have any other centres.

Now because we bulked him up to handle the back row he struggles laterally in defence out in the centres.

He’s got a lot of positives Sione but also a lot holding him back and it’s difficult to tell which way things will go at the moment because 4 years in and he still hasn’t been able to develop in one position.

I’ve just never understood why he cops it from “fans” so much. It’s been happening since he debuted and I don’t get it.

17. Frederick

Frederick Moderator Staff Member

This.

Fullback -> centre -> wing -> halves -> second row -> centre

All in 70 games, each position requiring different body type and technique. No wonder his devolopment has been stunted.

Knight Vision and Noname36 like this.
  18. slotmachine

slotmachine Bench

Body shape doesn't explain the inability to make defensive reads in the centres though.

Will have played >50 nrl games in the centres by the end of the year. There is no way he keeps his spot over ramien based on what I've seen.

So if he's not right centre, and isn't allowed to play in the forwards, then what?

19. Noname36

Noname36 First Grade

His reads in defence have been no worse than any of our other current outside backs who have been playing at centre longer as well (or backrowers for that matter) or any of our previous centres. Do you want us to get rid of them all?

His defensive problems are mostly because he doesn’t have the lateral movement now he’s been bulked up to defend well in the centres. He defended very well in the back row. In the majority of instances yesterday you saw him trying to tackle the right person but missed because he couldn’t get there in time (although that has a lot to do with his inside men too).

If Sione is the weakest link in all positions next year when Ramien comes in then he shouldn’t be in the side, simple as that...but really that’s no different to any other player in the squad is it? Hence why I don’t get why he’s always been held to much tougher standards than the rest. Is it because some idiot picked him to play for Australia people think he should be good enough to overcome 6 new positional changes in 4 years?

Old dog likes this.
  20. slotmachine

slotmachine Bench

Strongly disagree.