What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sione

Old dog

Juniors
Why then does he keep getting picked?
It's first grade football, coached by people that should know, selected by people that should know. He has played first grade for a few years now surely someone would have noticed if he was holding the team back, he has had a few different coaches.
Instead we get told by some that seem to know better than the coach that he is no good.

Spot On

Coach
We haven't had much depth - near zero - Old Dog. He was moved around the year Stone destroyed the side and that did him absolutely no favours.

He was not much chop at centre.

I really don't think that can be argued.

He's now had a go at backrow - which I said he would end up playing before Brown moved him - and since then he has had imo serious concussion issues.

I'm one that can't see a big future for him but I do hope I'm wrong. Maybe improved defensive technique will help his longevity. Otherwise, it's a move to the outside backs again (don't think Brown will entertain this) or if the concussions keep coming it will be game over.

Last edited:

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I know many have the opinion he is awful in the centers but my memory is he played decent in a very bad team. Early last year (2016) when he was playing in the centers I thought he was quite good. In fact from memory the reason Brown moved him to the backrow was so Mata'utia could get more ball. He may have had a few issues in defense but as a young player these can be improved and he was in a terrible team defneding with awful wingers and backrowers.

I remember he had some great moments in defense when in the centres 2016 with some great tackles agaisnt Canberra and a huge hit against Parra that gave us an oppurtunity to win the game (Ross was just held up by Bevan French). He also was decent in attack including a great solo try against the Warriors where he fended off two Warriors defenders. I may be forgetting plenty but I cant think of many huge issues Sione had when playing in the centers

Joel-22

Juniors
The concussions are definitely an issue. I think he has all the right attributes to be a great 2nd rower.
I don't think anyone can question his heart and his desire to play a physical brand of football. I know it sounds counterintuitive but i believe this is why he often missed tackles this year. He seemed to put too much focus on hurting the attacking player rather than just getting the player to ground successfully.
If he learned to channel his aggression and let the big hits come rather than constantly looking for a big shot I think he'd not get concussed as often. He has shown he's quick for a forward, runs good lines, has a good pass, and an offload. He needs another big offseason in the weights room and to work on playing a smarter more efficient brand of footy.
At this stage am I the only one in here who rates him?

Old dog

Juniors
I think Sione is a good player, yes he has some serious concussion problems and certainly could improve his tackling, no doubt he is focused and willing, gives it his all which could be curbed a bit.
He may struggle to hold a regular starting position in 2018 due to improved players brought in and others improving.
I just think the knockers of Sione and to his brothers is a bit over the top, we call ourselves supporters?

Glendale

Juniors
The concussions are definitely an issue. I think he has all the right attributes to be a great 2nd rower.
I don't think anyone can question his heart and his desire to play a physical brand of football. I know it sounds counterintuitive but i believe this is why he often missed tackles this year. He seemed to put too much focus on hurting the attacking player rather than just getting the player to ground successfully.
If he learned to channel his aggression and let the big hits come rather than constantly looking for a big shot I think he'd not get concussed as often. He has shown he's quick for a forward, runs good lines, has a good pass, and an offload. He needs another big offseason in the weights room and to work on playing a smarter more efficient brand of footy.
At this stage am I the only one in here who rates him?

I'm with you mate. I think there is a load of potential in there as a second rower.

First Grade
I would rather have 13 players putting in with the heart that Sione does every week and still get the spoon every year thanwin a few games with guys that are after a pay packet.

Pedge1971

First Grade
That’s why we will continue to struggle.
Picking local players because they are good people.
Sione’s just not good enough to make our starting 13 next year.
People will continue to make excuses that he’s still young but the fact is his game is very limited.

Absolute rubbish. Everyone is getting a hard on about Fitzys season. The bloke played 3 or 4 good games and he is now part of the 17? Sione had that at 17 years of age. That is not a knock on Fitzy but not expecting a lot from him next year. They will work him out.

Sione is a good player and clearly one the other blokes want on the field given he is captain.

Watch him in a team when there are 4 or 5 threats to contain on the edge with a good spine instead of Plodko shovelling the ball wide to the 1st guy who will take it off him.

He will be in the 17 next year. 21 yo, played for Australia, club captain and being written off? Get real...

mozza91

Coach
Dont get the the Sione hate. I thought he had a good year. A lot of the good things we did in attack came from him or off the back of him. Lamb improved out of sight when he moved to the left side with Sione and they formed a very good combination.

Why he's become the whipping boy is beyond me. Footy fans are strange that way. Sione could make 8 tackle breaks, score a few tries and nothing will be said. Buhrer could take a giant shit on the field and be praised endlessly for it.

Johns Magic

Referee
Sione’s just not good enough.
Not skilful or big enough to play in the backrow.
For the money he is on we could get an Angus Chrichton, Tevita Junior and still have lots of money left over.

You are out of touch with reality if you think Sione will get close to as much as Crichton when they both come off-contract this year.

Old dog

Juniors
Enough, you obviously hate Sione, doesn't matter, he is under contract for another season and will be paid whatever that is, like it or lump it. No point in getting in a tizz about it, it is what it is and when season starts we will all see where it is at.

Johns Magic

Referee
I’m talking about what Sione is currently on.
Chrichton, Tevita, Hess and Sione are all 21 years old.
Yet Sione the worst of the lot is the one on the good money.

We will continue to make excuses for Sione though. Oh he’s still young..

Yeah I would expect an Australian rep to sign a contract worth more than a bunch of NYC players...

Old dog

Juniors
Sione the past year purchased a home and land package and went through a broker.
Forget about the house and land and stick with what you know best - football?
Lots of people on a lot less money than first grade footballers have been buying houses and is not relevant to the subject

Latest posts