What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sironen off to Manly?

BrotherJim05

Bench
Tigers back-rower Curtis Sironen is reportedly considering a shock switch to Manly following the departure of Jamie Buhrer.
Sironen only just re-signed with the joint venture club but the classy 23-year-old has been in secret talks with the Northern Beaches outfit.

He is believed to be on the outer at the Tigers after playing several games in the NSW Cup this year.

Burher’s exit from Manly to the Knights, which was confirmed Tuesday, has freed up considerable cash.

Sironen debuted for the Tigers in 2012.

http://www.insidesport.com.au/league/news/manly-set-to-pounce-on-sironen-438746

He is only going to go backwards toiling away in NSW Cup so it makes sense he would want out. If it frees up cash to re-sign ET then I'm all for it.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If like to see him stay. I'm hoping the stint in nsw cup was the kick in the arse he needed. I've never felt we've used him correctly in the backrow, he isn't a battering type how we used him. He could be very effective as a wade graham type ball playing edge forward though.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've f**ked his development and we have a coach here who does not have any ability to make forwards better.

If Sironen is smart, he'd leave asap. It might even get the stigma of his surname off his back somewhat which would be an immense burden for him to carry around.

He'd be better off going to Newcastle, Storm, Sharks or Raiders if he wants to genuinely improve his game. They all have coaches that have a strong track record of making forwards better.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think he could be anything. I like Aloiai as well and although he belts it up better than Siro I don't think his stats were that good when he got that role. I also think Siro's defence was better.

I can see him turning his career around but then again Ben Murdoch-Masila looked like a superstar and never developed.

super_coach

First Grade
The photo type of todays backorder is a hard running,hard working,big engine power game game player, and if they have some ball skills that is a bonus.

I am afraid young Siro has shown very little of the above. He drifts in and out of games and even in the lower grades bar maybe one game failed to stamp his authority on the game. A new environment might work but I think he is to big and slow to be a back and lacks some much needed qualities to be a class forward

Shredder

Juniors
Him moving on is better for everyone - he will get a shot somewhere else and we lose the elephant in the room and free up some cap space. Lets hope it happens.

Shredder

Juniors
I think its his size tbh. He has the same problem that Anasta did - too big for the back and too small for the forwards. Anasta got by with his ball playing and Siro hasnt really had a chance. Plus, honerstly, our pack is already too small to be carrying another small forward.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think its his size tbh. He has the same problem that Anasta did - too big for the back and too small for the forwards. Anasta got by with his ball playing and Siro hasnt really had a chance. Plus, honerstly, our pack is already too small to be carrying another small forward.

Sironen is close to the biggest guy at the club, he isn't small at all. He just doesn't use his frame like he should.

super_coach

First Grade
I am afraid it is not his size that is the issue,he just lacks urgency and intensity. His odd run can match the best in the game, and he can hit with the best in defence, but it just doesn't happen enough. I always supported him because I figured he never had a proper off season due injuries and was still finding his feet after moving from the backs to the forwards, but after this year my patience has worn thin

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I've said before, it's not even his attitude.

For most of days leading in the NYC and first season and a half in the NRL he was pretty good. But he was a ball playing half. He never got the opportunity to grow into the back row, a position that was always going to be his destiny.

You can't take a sideways running half and turn him into a hard straight running back rower overnight.

He was made to put on too much mass which killed his lateral agility. He has good technique defensively, but his lack of speed means he is unable to use his size to his advantage in attack or defence.

If he lost some weight, did a shitload of cardio and was moved wider of the ruck (not neccessarily into the centres. Other backs who became good forwards are Wade Graham and Luke Lewis who both play wider than centre a lot of the time in attack).

Stick hikm out there to learn how to run good lines, how to spot when to attack the gaps and when to be a decoy etc. These are things that centres learn which become massive assets in the back row (Luke Lewis is a great example, he runs the best damn lines of any back rower in the comp).

Barrett may see a bit of himself in Sironen which is a good thing for Sironen. He'll have someone who udnerstands his predicament but someone who also managed to have some success on the field despite it.

Most importantly, he won't be looked at as Paul Sironen's boy. Not many people watch Mitchell Pearce and compare his behaviour, ethic etc etc to his old man anywhere near as much as they do with Curtis.

BrotherJim05

Bench
As I've said before, it's not even his attitude.

For most of days leading in the NYC and first season and a half in the NRL he was pretty good. But he was a ball playing half. He never got the opportunity to grow into the back row, a position that was always going to be his destiny.

You can't take a sideways running half and turn him into a hard straight running back rower overnight.

He was made to put on too much mass which killed his lateral agility. He has good technique defensively, but his lack of speed means he is unable to use his size to his advantage in attack or defence.

If he lost some weight, did a shitload of cardio and was moved wider of the ruck (not neccessarily into the centres. Other backs who became good forwards are Wade Graham and Luke Lewis who both play wider than centre a lot of the time in attack).

Stick hikm out there to learn how to run good lines, how to spot when to attack the gaps and when to be a decoy etc. These are things that centres learn which become massive assets in the back row (Luke Lewis is a great example, he runs the best damn lines of any back rower in the comp).

Barrett may see a bit of himself in Sironen which is a good thing for Sironen. He'll have someone who udnerstands his predicament but someone who also managed to have some success on the field despite it.

Most importantly, he won't be looked at as Paul Sironen's boy. Not many people watch Mitchell Pearce and compare his behaviour, ethic etc etc to his old man anywhere near as much as they do with Curtis.

I've seen you post something similar to this before and totally agree. Re: Manly, my thoughts were that they were trying to bring back a Glenn Stewart, ball playing lock. I've always wondered why we never moulded him into this type of player. He is a massive boy so once he gets used to the middle he would handle it. He could have been our ET backup

I'm sure the coaches have thought of this though and just want to move him on. I'm glad it didn't play out like the Farah saga and to be honest, I would just love to see Siro find his feet somewhere

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is we made the same stupid mistakes of the past and gave him a contract, so we'll again be paying him while he wears another jumper.

Who does this keep happening?

TKO

Juniors
He has played well this season in cup. The problem is he has the skill and heart of a 5/8 and the body of a forward. He doesn't have the mongrel and toughness of his old man. He needs to be under Bellamy I think to get the best out of him. He has a lot of potential, but using him the right way is important

macnaz

Staff member
Thats true , he so often plays before the line rather than offloading once through it . He just doesn't have heart or he just doesnt realise he has the build to bust open any defence. I dont think it has anything to do with coaching as im sure his father who was one of the best 2nd rowers in the modern game would provide him with all the tips and mentoring he needs.
Apart from all that he been very injury prone and hasnt provided great value in all the years he has been here.
All the best to him , i hope he can play to his ability and become a great player in his own right.

Tiger05

First Grade
ball playing lock. I've always wondered why we never moulded him into this type of player. He is a massive boy so once he gets used to the middle he would handle it. He could have been our ET backup

I like the idea of playing him in that role now. ET can't go a full 80 but he could go 60 easily. Give Sirro 20 minutes to perform each game.

Radical Rat

Juniors
I'm no longer sold on ET as a top shelf option. He was starting to look very much like a plodder at the back end of the season. I think there's a reason he's struggling to get a contract anywhere.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I'm no longer sold on ET as a top shelf option. He was starting to look very much like a plodder at the back end of the season. I think there's a reason he's struggling to get a contract anywhere.

so I wasn't the only one not sold on ET. Although I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for next season, some of his goal line defence towards the end of the season was garbage.

Tiger05

First Grade

Good point. I hope we get him and I think he adds to our team but I'm not that fussed.