What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skilled Park Photos

aarondoyle

Juniors
I was down the coast on Saturday for a wedding. It was during the day and ended at 4 so rather than driving straight home to Brissy, I convinced my girlfriend and drove down to Robina to check out the new stadium. I'd read somewhere recently it was coming along well.

As I approached it I could see cranes in the distance, and as I got closer and drove along Cheltenham Drive, I was struck by how cool it looked. Three of the four sides of seating were up. The western stand seems to be built fairly extensively, the eastern and northern stands appeared to hang there as if held up by some invisible force.

I took a few photos on a mobile phone, but they didn't really work out. The places where you got the best angle to take photos you couldn't stop at. Despite this I have uploaded them for anyone who's interested (300k+ size).

http://www.olilolo.com/aarondoyle/skilled/skilledpark-1.jpg
http://www.olilolo.com/aarondoyle/skilled/skilledpark-2.jpg
http://www.olilolo.com/aarondoyle/skilled/skilledpark-3.jpg
http://www.olilolo.com/aarondoyle/skilled/skilledpark-4.jpg
http://www.olilolo.com/aarondoyle/skilled/skilledpark-5.jpg
http://www.olilolo.com/aarondoyle/skilled/skilledpark-6.jpg

They are taken facing north(ish) from Cheltenham Drive.

I will say one thing they are gonna want to upgrade the roads around there. Most of the streets are fairly small and if people are going to drive (which they will) they will be chockers of cars. Also trying to get buses in will be a real cow too if there's no bus lanes. If it's designed like a mini Suncorp the public transport infrastructure should be beefed up as well. In fact I couldn't think of a worse lot of streets to try to cram several thousand cars down.

It'll be fine by train but most of the Gold Coast doesn't have access to the train line. Most people will need to drive or take the bus and I'd rather not see the Titans fall over a few years down the track due to poor public planning and everyone getting the sh*ts with not being able to get to the stadium.

In my paranoia I want to blame the AFL-loving, NRL-hating, lord mayor.... but then again I am paranoid.

- Also if anyone's a photographer, there's going to be some cool photo opportunities out of this development if you can find the right spot... and you can share them online too.

Great pictures. Thanks mate. Although the fifth one doesn't seem to be working.

I didn't realise that so much progress had been made. It's going to be a ripper of a stadium, that's for sure.

Scorpio30

Bench
A transport hub as a seperate contract has been designed.

I have a whole lot of on-site photos on the server here at work so if I get a chance and can figure it out Ill upload them for you guy's

t-ba

Post Whore
Willow said:
The train station is is on a direct line to Brisbane, perfect for out of town visitors.

Here are some aerial shots taken last August: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=151009

Aren't they eventually planning to have the GC Line get down to the Airport at Coolangatta/TH?

It's a long trip from Brisbane City though, that's for sure. Probably better off getting a flight to the GC airport and catching the Tweed-Robina bus imo if you're doing and in-out job.

Awesome photos btw.

DeeGan

Bench
Lockyer4President! said:
Cheers for getting the photo's. I wonder if the stadium will be finished early so we can play a game or two at it in 2007?

No chance in either happening.

No game will be played at Robina until the 2008 season.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Scorpio30 said:
A transport hub as a seperate contract has been designed.

That's pretty cool. Any info around online about it? Not that I'll find some sort of problems well paid city planners, and engineers have missed. Just find it interesting.

DeeGan

Bench
Keep in mind the site is near the Robina Rail Station, adjacent to Robina Town Centre and in close proximity to the M1 ... plenty of opportunity for us to incorporate plenty of travel options for those wanting to be at Skilled Park in 2008 :D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
t-ba said:
Aren't they eventually planning to have the GC Line get down to the Airport at Coolangatta/TH?
Don't know. It makes sense. Robina isnt that far down.

t-ba said:
It's a long trip from Brisbane City though, that's for sure.
About an hour.
t-ba said:
Probably better off getting a flight to the GC airport and catching the Tweed-Robina bus imo if you're doing and in-out job.
lol. sure... that's one way of getting up the frequent flyer points. Never caught a flight from Bris to GC before, if such a flight exists it'd take longer than the train trip. You'd have to fly via Sydney I think.

Scorpio30

Bench
aarondoyle said:
That's pretty cool. Any info around online about it? Not that I'll find some sort of problems well paid city planners, and engineers have missed. Just find it interesting.

Im not sure if there is anything on-line. Im on the stadium team and there is another sub team with in that doing the transport hub proposal. From memory its another storey to the current carpark for commuters. Then on event day the top carpark deck becomes a bus interchange.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Sounds like a good idea. Are they upgrading the roads? They're very small and only one lane in parts.

Also I fixed photo 5.

Gibbo

Juniors
Thank God the whole thing's not going to have any Grahem park/Nothpower/advocate express /blue tongue stadium style dramas in regards to not being finished on time.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Was down there again the other day (before the Titans game on the weekend). I didn't have a camera on me but someone needs to get down there and take some pics.

It looks amazing at the moment.

ghoti

Bench
I went up to Tweed Heads for a few weeks earlier in the year, and visited some other mates in Brisbane and got there by public transport...the trains don't run down that far, but managed to take the buses to Coolongatta from Tweed Heads and then to Robina without too much trouble.

The trip from Robina to Brisbane was not far over an hour. Even then in January from the short view I got from the train, the stadium looking phenomenal...I think there were the skeletons of two sides of the seating up already and it wasn't far from the train station.

I'm sure the government will have something planned as far as transport is concerned, but you guys are sitting on an awesome stadium there. It should make up for having to watch at Carrara this year.

Latest posts