What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skyrim

Misanthrope

Staff member
Mis nailed it. The same setting in every damn game. It's so samey that they changed the whole genre in number 3 to try and spice things up. And, from the looks of the trailer, they've integrated the equivalent of the Sims into 4 so we don't notice that it's just the same game again.

Love the post apocalyptic yet old-timey setting.

Love the cultures and the lore.

Just feel like there's precious little difference between running around in DC and running around in Boston, and when they did try to change it up with New Vegas they chose the one setting more boring than an urban wasteland - a desert.

roc107

Juniors
Love the post apocalyptic yet old-timey setting.

Love the cultures and the lore.

Just feel like there's precious little difference between running around in DC and running around in Boston, and when they did try to change it up with New Vegas they chose the one setting more boring than an urban wasteland - a desert.

Oh yeah, Fallout is great, don't get me wrong, but TES is the best series by far IMO

roc107

Juniors
lol.. "Sims 4 shit"...

The base-building in Fallout 4 is clearly and obviously influenced by the wave of PC survival games - which in turn were largely influenced by Minecraft and DayZ, not the Sims 4.

Ergh, that's even worse. Arguably.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Was having a really fun run in my most recent go at Skyrim. Had my mods picked out well for some extra challenge and things were rolling along well. Had hit level sixteen and was progressing along well.

Then... CTD. Endless CTD. Not sure what the hell happened, but I can't get my saves to load at all.

f**k this shit. I'm going back to Oblivion :lol:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Was having a really fun run in my most recent go at Skyrim. Had my mods picked out well for some extra challenge and things were rolling along well. Had hit level sixteen and was progressing along well.

Then... CTD. Endless CTD. Not sure what the hell happened, but I can't get my saves to load at all.

f**k this shit. I'm going back to Oblivion :lol:

All of them? Try disabling mods to see if any of them are the reason.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just the auto-save and quick-save. Anything earlier is 4-5 hours of play-time earlier.

I went back and disabled the newer ones, but no joy >_< That's what I get for adding a mod into the mix while already playing.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Just the auto-save and quick-save. Anything earlier is 4-5 hours of play-time earlier.

I went back and disabled the newer ones, but no joy >_< That's what I get for adding a mod into the mix while already playing.

Oh yeah it's a pain in the ass, I've been through that before but not necessarily with Skyrim. Modding New Vegas while keeping it actually functional was f**king hell.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ugh, I know that feeling well. I barely made it anywhere in that game because I over-modded it from the start.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just downloaded and successfully installed Skyrim: The Journey. More than 450 mods tweaked to work together.

The game looks stunning (although even my beast can't handle the ENB), there is oodles of new content, the world feels lived in, and it's bloody hard.

You only have three lives and then your save is deleted, although you can replenish lives by sleeping.

Food, water, and shelter are essential and combat is hard.

Like a whole new game.

Kinda wish I was a PC gamer so I could get the full advantage out of Bethesda games, though I don't play games much these days so it's not worth the investment.

At least FO4 will have console mods soon.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah, I can't imagine I'd have still been playing Skyrim fairly regularly four years after its release if it weren't for the insane effort people have put into mods.

Fallout 4's mod scene has started off a little slow, but I'm excited to see what they develop down the line.

Project Brazil for Fallout 3 looks pretty awesome too.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Finally bought it for PC. Have it currently on Xbox 360 (original purchase) and on PS3 (started shifting games over to PS3 as free online play, just havn't sold my Xbox yet)

Was cheap as chips on the steam sales, plus wanted to be able to mod it.
Surprised my laptop runs it well with settings upto High.

redvscotty

First Grade
Just started a new game, made a Nord named Aragorn because I'm totally original.

I just want to set him up as a Ranger type, 1H swords (but aiming for bigger looking almost 2h modelled swords) and bows.

Only played through the intro to the first village as I've been time poor this week but hoping to have a good crack Friday night.

I've only ever played until just after where you go into the mountains for your dragon skills in the main missions, but have also done a heap of non main mission stuff.

Got a whole bunch of mods to play around with too.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Just started a new game, made a Nord named Aragorn because I'm totally original.

I just want to set him up as a Ranger type, 1H swords (but aiming for bigger looking almost 2h modelled swords) and bows.

Only played through the intro to the first village as I've been time poor this week but hoping to have a good crack Friday night.

I've only ever played until just after where you go into the mountains for your dragon skills in the main missions, but have also done a heap of non main mission stuff.

Got a whole bunch of mods to play around with too.

What mods are you using?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Picked up Skyrim Special Edition yesterday.

Thought I might hate going over the same quests all over again but it's still as enjoyable as ever. I've never played as a mage before so that helps.

Iafeta

Referee
Didn't really have time for it when it was on XBOX360, but have now got the special edition on Xbone, and loving it. Its Fallout-esque in terms of how to play, but just such a cool mythical setting, reminds me a bit of Quest of Glory in a sense. Loving it.

Iafeta

Referee
Best gaming moment ever. Bizarro to the max. Was on a cliff above a waterfall. A mammoth was in the stream on the edge of the waterfall. I sent a fire bolt its way and it sprung I'd say a kilometre into the air perfectly upright before dropping into a nearby field. Success, dead as a door nail.

Latest posts