What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SL France-watch

CC_Roosters

First Grade
2 Super League clubs and French players scattered throughout English and NRL clubs would be ideal in 5-10 years.

The number of French players at English clubs seems to have increased greatly in the past few seasons which can only be good. Only a matter of time before some more find their way to the NRL.

jim_57

Staff member
Did anyone see the amount of French players in the Catalan team today..?? :hushed::rage:

5 was it?

When it comes to the first team Catalans have become win at all costs which is good news for 3rd rate Australians but not so good for local juniors. One of the arguments many use against P&R was that teams would do just this.

I guess more and more will keep looking to England for opportunities which can only be good IMO.

Storm13

Juniors
Shame seeing some very ordinary players taking up space for these young French kids.

Duport can't even get a gig. Walsh was one dimensional as usual.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Unfortunately I had to attend work today!, as a Hull FC fan I was hoping for a home win but after getting home 12 hours later and checking the score I see that penalties from Luke Walsh decided the result of the game, that's Catalans now 2/2 with a rare Away win.
Once the club becomes a little more competitive then it will be time for the locals to shine with less reliance on washed up Aussies, what's strange is that the Catalans are going for UK Players these days in preference to the has been NRL players, I look forward to seeing Toulouse continue their path to the Super League.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
What, Catalans have been around for 11 years, they want to win a trophy and rightly so.

Yeah I know that they've been around, for a while, if they were subjected to relegation in the early years we very well may have seen the last of them, I'd like to see Gilbert Brutus packed every other week too.

Storm13

Juniors
What, Catalans have been around for 11 years, they want to win a trophy and rightly so.
11 years later following the same method has not delivered the trophy they desire. One thing they have finally done is get rid of those types of players who have let the squad down in recent times.

adamkungl

Immortal
Relevant?
http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8...born-players-are-making-their-mark-in-the-nrl

The gist - in the 20 years since Auckland Warriors entered the NRL, the number of first grade NZ born players has more than double from 51 to well over 100.

I would have thought this would have led to more Kiwi wins - looking at the records though, their win rate remains pretty consistent. Hovering between 15-25% per decade.

Nevertheless, that kind of number would still be a huge improvement for France in modern times.

Currently they have around 25 players playing first grade. Evidence would suggest getting that over 50 would have them at least seriously competing, and 100 (with at least some NRL) would put them in the frame for a shot at major trophies.

The Daddy3

Juniors
A lot of Toulouse players have been playing outstandingly well in the championship and if they stay in the top four will be playing Super League teams by the end of the season. This will double the number of French players exposed to pro league overnight and with the 2017 world cup on the horizon that's great news for France.

Margarita, Ader, Canet, Boyer, Marion, Planas have all looked impressive and I would add all of them to the French national team based on their performances. On top of that a few for the future who also look good are Puetch, Marcon and Sangare. Exciting times for French RL.

jim_57

Staff member
A lot of Toulouse players have been playing outstandingly well in the championship and if they stay in the top four will be playing Super League teams by the end of the season. This will double the number of French players exposed to pro league overnight and with the 2017 world cup on the horizon that's great news for France.

Margarita, Ader, Canet, Boyer, Marion, Planas have all looked impressive and I would add all of them to the French national team based on their performances. On top of that a few for the future who also look good are Puetch, Marcon and Sangare. Exciting times for French RL.

Definitely think a few players from Toulouse should get a look in, they've beaten Catalans in the trials and are proving it's not a fluke this year despite a loss today to London.

France will have a pretty young side this World Cup, hoping a lot more can find their way in to Super League or Championship in years to come instead of the bulk of junior talent wasting away in Catalans reserves. Could be the fewest ever Catalans players (since 2005) in the national team this year which is good to see IMO.

Yesterday there was a SL game between 2 of the most successful English clubs with 2 Frenchmen playing in spine positions, the best Frenchman on the field in the Toulouse game was the London Halfback and all but 1 SL game had a French player. Definite signs of progress.

Last edited:

JasonE

Bench
Benjamin Julien was very strong for Warrington v Widnes, he may not be the biggest but gee he has a great technique in defence. He smashes em'

Evil Homer

Staff member
Benjamin Julien was very strong for Warrington v Widnes, he may not be the biggest but gee he has a great technique in defence. He smashes em'
Impressed with Jullien every time I've seen him in SL, not sure why he isn't more of a regular.

adamkungl

Immortal
Who's coaching France this year and what kind of cred do they have?

I put a lot of France's recent disappointments down to coaching/playing style. They went into every game at the last WC with a boring, negative attitude and never threatened. Certainly don't have the grit to win an arm wrestle against NRL players.

Latest posts