What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sledging.

Bazal

Post Whore
Sure but seems to be a bit of Australian butt hurt around at the moment because Kohli is a meany.

Aust love dishing it out but don't take it terribly well.

Meh, I'll bite.

Kohli can say what he likes. But when the guy is enough of a merkin to rob his team mate of the chance to front the press after captaining the side that won the series, maybe what we're saying about the bloke is pretty spot on....

Meth

Staff member
I love sledging. Obviously, there are limits, but I listened to the Wade/Smith v Jadeja bit and it was fine. Perhaps there was some stuff that was said in this series (India v Australia) that I hadn't heard but all in all it added spice and intrigue to the series. Who cares if the players don't like each other?

Meth

Staff member
Brendon McCullum was a great sledger, but NZ somehow managed to put on the fakest nice guy act ever and the media fell for it.

I'll bite.

Off the top of my head, I think McCullum and New Zealand brought into a cricketing philosophy (that involved much more than supposedly 'being nice') that worked for them for a particular season (2-3 years). I'm not sure about the timeline, but I think that Phil Hughes death and the series that NZ were playing against Pakistan had a bit to do with this. I don't think it was really intended to be a wider commentary on cricket. It was just an approach that overall was working for us at the time. It wasn't fake at all.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its not Aussies V. the Rest of the World, it happens in cricket at any level.

Got nothing to do with which country a player comes from, you give it and you get it back its part of the game. Most of ti is not said in anger its just a bit of banter, when you come off the pitch you have a beer with the opposition.

Its all part of the cricket culture.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
When i sledged back in my cricket days it was basically just trying to get the batsmen to laugh and off his game,nothing personal ever said,nobody ever said anything personal to me either,all the players sledged to see who was the greatest comedian lol,not sure what it's like these days,haven't played for a long time.

simmo1

First Grade
Never understood why I'd want to have a beer with someone who's carried on like a merkin all game. If you're a dickhead on the field you're probably a dickhead off it too.

Bazal

Post Whore
Never understood why I'd want to have a beer with someone who's carried on like a merkin all game. If you're a dickhead on the field you're probably a dickhead off it too.

Yeah but sledging doesn't equate to being a dickhead...

Timbo

Staff member
When i sledged back in my cricket days it was basically just trying to get the batsmen to laugh and off his game,nothing personal ever said,nobody ever said anything personal to me either,all the players sledged to see who was the greatest comedian lol,not sure what it's like these days,haven't played for a long time.

That's true. I always thought it was the easiest way to work out if the blokes you were playing were dickheads.

For example, a few years ago I was skippering a park side. I was batting and I'd been bogged down for ages against this left arm tweaker. The first slip, in this ridiculous William Shatner accent goes:

'Captains log... this planet, is hot and dry. Runs are... hard... to come by. I feel that if I don't score a run soon, hope will run out'.

I hit the next ball into the carpark. The keeper goes:

'Captains log... six...'

We laughed for so long play was held up when the ball came back to the bowler. I'm now friends with that keeper even though we were on opposite sides and I don't play cricket anymore.

On the other hand, there was another team in the same comp where I was batting and a shooter came through off a medium-pacer at ankle height. I turned around and went, 'geez that stayed down', the first slip goes 'who the f**k you talking to, c***'. Abused the shit out me the whole way to 92 and an outright win.

Didn't share a beer with that guy.

Bazal

Post Whore
That's true. I always thought it was the easiest way to work out if the blokes you were playing were dickheads.

For example, a few years ago I was skippering a park side. I was batting and I'd been bogged down for ages against this left arm tweaker. The first slip, in this ridiculous William Shatner accent goes:

'Captains log... this planet, is hot and dry. Runs are... hard... to come by. I feel that if I don't score a run soon, hope will run out'.

I hit the next ball into the carpark. The keeper goes:

'Captains log... six...'

We laughed for so long play was held up when the ball came back to the bowler. I'm now friends with that keeper even though we were on opposite sides and I don't play cricket anymore.

On the other hand, there was another team in the same comp where I was batting and a shooter came through off a medium-pacer at ankle height. I turned around and went, 'geez that stayed down', the first slip goes 'who the f**k you talking to, c***'. Abused the shit out me the whole way to 92 and an outright win.

Didn't share a beer with that guy.

And that's a perfect illustration of sledging vs abuse.

We play a lad every so often who is the worst cross bat slogger you've ever seen. So last time we basically started calling a baseball game in the field. Sledging isn't about abusing blokes....

simmo1

First Grade
Yep, I'm sure when Waugh and co were talking about mental disintegration they were taking about doing their best Star Trek impressions.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yep, I'm sure when Waugh and co were talking about mental disintegration they were taking about doing their best Star Trek impressions.

I'd love to play cricket against you tbh. Have you sledged out in two overs.

And I wouldn't even have to share my beers after because you're clearly as petulant as Kohli. Can't lose!

Waugh employed the same philosophy when he batted. He sledged himself to a captains knock when the English refused to banter with him.

It's not limited to the fielding side. The batsman always has a right of reply and often the bat gets the upper hand when the retort is better than the sledge.

simmo1

First Grade
I'd love to play cricket against you tbh. Have you sledged out in two overs.

And I wouldn't even have to share my beers after because you're clearly as petulant as Kohli. Can't lose!

Shame I don't play fifth grade.

JJ

Immortal
Exactly

Latest posts