What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sledging.

mozza91

Coach
The saffers, sheep rooters, Poms and street shitters love ganging up on Australia because we’re so much better than they are. Tall poppy syndrome at its finest.

Meth

Staff member
The saffers, sheep rooters, Poms and street shitters love ganging up on Australia because we’re so much better than they are. Tall poppy syndrome at its finest.

I'm sorry, but that's too funny.

Test rankings have India and South Africa ahead of you. ODI rankings have all four of the teams that you just mentioned ahead of you. I can appreciate that you can point to recent results as evidence that these rankings are not necessarily reflective of current reality- but they are reflective of you not currently being "so much better than they are"

Playing word association, if I said "sledging", most would say "Australia". That's not a sledge, because I don't really think there is anything wrong with sledging or the way that Australia approaches the game.

I don't think Australia has a sledging problem. Australia has a "David Warner" problem. Occasionally, other players step over the line, perhaps. We all have players who have those moments. But Warner is the maniac who can't handle the responsibility that comes with the 'good, hard' brand of cricket Australia wants to play. And he's your vice-captain, bizarrely.

mozza91

Coach
Who cares about the skewed rankings system. We once beat South Africa 5 out of 6 Tests and they were still ranked ahead of us for some unknown reason. The last 20 years have been dominated by Australia.

The anti Australia sentiment amongst other nations cricket fans and writers proves this superiority.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
sledging happens in every sport, they just dont have stump mics in other sports

Meth

Staff member
Who cares about the skewed rankings system. We once beat South Africa 5 out of 6 Tests and they were still ranked ahead of us for some unknown reason. The last 20 years have been dominated by Australia.

I agree that the rankings are rigid.

Let's examine the last year-

You lost a 5 match ODI series 1-4 v England at home
You won the Ashes 4-0 at home
You lost a 5 match ODI series 1-4 v India away
You drew a 2 match Test series with Bangladesh away
You didn't make it out of your group in the ICC Trophy
You lost a 4 match series v India 1-2 away

Australia is a great cricket nation- no doubt about that. Not sure I get the superiority vibe though

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that the rankings are rigid.

Let's examine the last year-

You lost a 5 match ODI series 1-4 v England at home
You won the Ashes 4-0 at home
You lost a 5 match ODI series 1-4 v India away
You drew a 2 match Test series with Bangladesh away
You didn't make it out of your group in the ICC Trophy
You lost a 4 match series v India 1-2 away

Australia is a great cricket nation- no doubt about that. Not sure I get the superiority vibe though

but, but, we won a T20 series

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Overall, except for the 15 years of West Indies dominance Australia has been the dominant force in test and odi cricket.

Meth

Staff member
Overall, except for the 15 years of West Indies dominance Australia has been the dominant force in test and odi cricket.

Sure. That's certainly has been the case in my lifetime. It's tapered off lately though, wouldn't you agree?

Meth

Staff member
Australia also recently (within the last 2 years) lost a Test series v Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka 0-3 in 2016, then lost an ODI series v South Africa 0-5 and the Test series 1-2 and then an ODI series v NZ 0-2

Not trying to pile on, but it doesn't scream out dominance and superiority.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeh, definitely no where near as dominant as the McGrath/Warne era

Meth

Staff member
Anyhow...

Again, I submit that Australia doesn't have a sledging problem. It has a David Warner problem. Correctly diagnosing the problem is key to treatment. In this case, Warner is hiding behind a charade of being in synch with the way that Australia plays cricket. Smith is how Australia plays cricket. Starc is how Australia plays cricket. Warner's just a dick

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ

Latest posts