What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH New contract gives Rabbitoh Craigie a weighty problem

HBG

Juniors
New contract gives Rabbitoh Craigie a weighty problem
By Danny Weidler
January 4, 2004

Souths five-eighth Owen Craigie is risking $1000 every week of the NRL season if he lets his weight climb over 98kilograms.

Craigie could lose up to $24,000 if he is unable to control his weight throughout the season.

Craigie has battled the bulge for his entire career and has tried any number of techniques to keep his weight down.

Now he will be hit where it hurts if his willpower weakens.

The Sun-Herald has been told that Craigie has a special clause inserted in his contract that requires him to weigh in at 98 kilos or less.

It was a key component to securing a two-year deal with the club.

"Owen must be under 98kilos on the Tuesday before every game he plays this year or he loses $1000," his manager, Jason Coorey, said.

"Owen knows what an important year this is for him and Souths and I suppose that is just an extra incentive not to let things slide.

"Owen has had a hard time in his career with his weight.

"I think he is the sort of player who plays well with a bit of weight on.

"He gets strength from his size.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/03/1072908956964.html

Click on the above link for the rest of the article.

izzo

Juniors
I reckon that sucks cause the Big O dosent get that much money at the end of the day because half of it goes to his family and friends.

Seano

Juniors
look if it keeps O playing good footy i dont care.
he could be one of those players who needs clauses like this to keep them in line.

The Whippet

Juniors
If Owen Craigie wants to contain is weight he should speak to Shane Warne, he has a number of useful techniques. :lol:

gcbronco

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
So has Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers been approached to sponsor Craigie yet?
They did but they couldn't find a big enough video camera to fit him into the tv ad. :lol: