What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Its Round 5. Does Ivan Stay Or Go

Martli

Coach
He would have only lost his job if the Warriors completely bombed out. If it were 1 or 2 wins with 3 or 4 close losses and he'd have still kept his job in my opinion.

Moral of the story: 5 rounds is a stupid amount of time to judge a coach's success for that season.

ozbash

Referee
Moral of the story: 5 rounds is a stupid amount of time to judge a coach's success for that season.

while that is very true I think its a carryover of last years pathetic performance, all round.

Do we put this seasons 3/5 down to Ives or Iro or the attitude of the players ?

Pricey's not there either....

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
while that is very true I think its a carryover of last years pathetic performance, all round.

Do we put this seasons 3/5 down to Ives or Iro or the attitude of the players ?

Pricey's not there either....

of course its down to the players...dont play dumb

Iafeta

Referee
There doesn't seem to be a great deal of change except for the appearance of motivated players on deck.

Without a doubt, stay.

Micistm

Bench
Well, obviously stay now...although I still think on probation for the season. The Warriors own fault for re-signing Cleary halfway through '09 when things clearly weren't right.
IMO there's a number of factors for the turnaround, and the most obvious one is more effort from players. Last year looked lazy and lethargic. The new halves are a new lease of life, although we're missing one. Some players hitting form have helped, and some knowing they must be on their last chances is a factor too.
Can't help but think the look of this year has a lot of 'Iro' about it as well

Meth

Staff member

Yes.

It was a stupid idea to ever suggest we were going to shed him after 5 rounds. We had to give him the season

Iafeta

Referee
Well, obviously stay now...although I still think on probation for the season. The Warriors own fault for re-signing Cleary halfway through '09 when things clearly weren't right.
IMO there's a number of factors for the turnaround, and the most obvious one is more effort from players. Last year looked lazy and lethargic. The new halves are a new lease of life, although we're missing one. Some players hitting form have helped, and some knowing they must be on their last chances is a factor too.
Can't help but think the look of this year has a lot of 'Iro' about it as well

I don't agree that's it a fault of the Warriors to have re-signed him in the first place. The guy had performed well for the club, had a good affiliation with the players, was an astute football player and had performed admirably for the Roosters lower graders. The Warriors clearly had confidence in him from day dot.

We talk about "Keep the faith", clearly the Warriors management, who have a day-to-day relationship with Ivan understand he's a lot better coach than 2009 indicated, or that some of the chump media experts here in Sydney can appreciate.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
good to have some stability with the coach. the high turn over of coaches has certainly hurt the club over the years.

sadly its a nz thing, coaches are shafted all too quickly and the calls for them to be shafted come even quicker.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
good to have some stability with the coach. the high turn over of coaches has certainly hurt the club over the years.

sadly its a nz thing, coaches are shafted all too quickly and the calls for them to be shafted come even quicker.
yep, it's absurd. how can you ever expect a coach to correct and learn from mistakes if you feel the need to punt him every other loss?

we'd had decent teams 06, 07, 08 and it was madness to assume that 09 was somehow the cleary standard. things might still go tits up now, but calling to sack him last year - and worse still this year are shortsighted at best.

Iafeta

Referee
What I do love is how it was his fault last year, but now the revival, according to certain people is because of Iro, because of this, because of that...

ozbash

Referee
What I do love is how it was his fault last year, but now the revival, according to certain people is because of Iro, because of this, because of that...

ok, are you saying its not any of the above ?

Iro has nothing to do with the current show of form ?

what are you saying ?

why arnt we sh*t like 09 ?

Meth

Staff member

what are you saying ?

It certainly couldn't have anything to do with our halves this year being far, far better than last year

ozbash

Referee
possibly, although one has only played 1 game so far.

last year they must have been really, really sucky ?

Meth

Staff member
possibly, although one has only played 1 game so far.

last year they must have been really, really sucky ?

yes

we haven't even had a settled halves combination and every one has been far, far better than any combination involving Jones

Dirty Hoe

Juniors

what are you saying ?

how long is a piece of string? it is and could be many factors, on and off the field for the warriors aswell as the opposition we play.
oz you do have a tendency to blame a certain amount of people for a teams performance. last year has no bearing on this year, at all. so stop bringing it up!

Rich102

Staff member
Three points:

1. This is a forum. ie a place where people discuss things.
If we can't discuss things freely there is no point taking part. Hopefully, by reading someone elses opinion, we may learn more.

2. What has caused the form turnaround? Maybe Cleary; but I think two key positions have had a lot of influence. Hooker and Halfback. The ball has been moved through these two positions a lot faster so we are actually seeing the backs with some clean ball and a bit of space to move. Great.

3. Cleary. Five rounds was a fair time to evaluate his position. If we were 5-0 down, on top of last year, I don't think this discussion would be taking place. Instead we are playing good football and he has won a reprieve.
OK. Where to from here.
No doubt he is capable of coaching , my doubts lie over his ability to motivate.
He is the second longest incumbent NRL coach. (I think.) Last year the players weren't fit. He has all the facts and figures. Why did he allow this?
He stated that, had he been available, he would have re-signed Stacey. Astute? I don't think so.
Heremaia is head and shoulders better than Henderson. So what was Henderson doing playing second row?
Manu struggled in the first half last week and was clearly in pain. How stupid to put him back out & risk serious injury.
Time will tell if Cleary becomes a really good coach. Good coaches are forged not by leading a great team through a winning streak but in turning around the fortunes of an underperforming team.
If Cleary can lead us to a long overdue Grand Final win I will be his greatest supporter. Till then I will wait and hope.