What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So who are we chasing for 2019?

Rob Dragon

Juniors
We have had a 29 man roster for all of 2018. I thought we may cleverly have been holding a spot for a potential June 30 raid but that time has come and gone. This would probably mean that we have some room in the salary cap given that James Graham's salary is being off-set and given we have one player space left. Now with Ah Mau leaving next year (and as I understand it we matched the Warriors offer) we look like having somewhere between $500K - $700K to spend on a quality player. My thinking is that this signing needs to be a front-rower; but the question is who are we chasing for 2019?

JDHD

Juniors
I reckon we’d be sniffing around Marty Taupau but every club would be. I’d like to see us chase Peni Terepo, he’s a big, strong, young middle forward who’d do a great job of replacing Ah Mau and putting a rocket up Lawrie and Sele.

I’d also like us to chase a couple of outside backs, Nighty’s retiring and while Lomax is a great kid, you don’t want to put all your eggs in the one, unproven basket. Maybe someone like Corey Oates? Is he still off contract?

I reckon we’d be sniffing around Marty Taupau but every club would be. I’d like to see us chase Peni Terepo, he’s a big, strong, young middle forward who’d do a great job of replacing Ah Mau and putting a rocket up Lawrie and Sele.

I’d also like us to chase a couple of outside backs, Nighty’s retiring and while Lomax is a great kid, you don’t want to put all your eggs in the one, unproven basket. Maybe someone like Corey Oates? Is he still off contract?
oates wants to play back row hence the stalemate at the donkeys wayne wants him on the wing

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
We have had a 29 man roster for all of 2018. I thought we may cleverly have been holding a spot for a potential June 30 raid but that time has come and gone. This would probably mean that we have some room in the salary cap given that James Graham's salary is being off-set and given we have one player space left. Now with Ah Mau leaving next year (and as I understand it we matched the Warriors offer) we look like having somewhere between $500K - $700K to spend on a quality player. My thinking is that this signing needs to be a front-rower; but the question is who are we chasing for 2019?

Would mind a real good upcoming centre.

I honestly don't know.

You would think it would be a front rower to replace Ah Mau, but if they bring Lawrie along well enough he could easily do that job.
Latimore has been a revelation in the last 8 weeks, really taken his game to another level, I'm sure Graham has had a hand in that.
Host already looks ready, more unsure of Sele.

I'd like to see Lomax get any crack at an outside back spot first, Herbert and Marsters after him.
Lafai is signed long term and Aitken looks set to be our centre for a long period, not saying he's brilliant, but he could be a great club man along the lines of Mick Beattie.

So given all that, what position do we need to spend 600 grand on?

BennyV

Referee
Prop. Graham is another year on next year and Ah Mau is going. Latimore is ok and Lawrie has some work to do - otherwise, that’s it. We need a top shelf prop to join the rotation and another one to compete with Lawrie and Latimore for the bench spot.

After that we need a better back up 7. Mann works as a 6 but not a 7, and while a lot of people seem to think Nicholls is wonderful, in reality he’s a 29yo career reserve grader who’s not been able to land a gig at 4 first grade clubs now. We need a backup half who is first grade standard or has a decent future - y’know, some sort of upside!

Prop. Graham is another year on next year and Ah Mau is going. Latimore is ok and Lawrie has some work to do - otherwise, that’s it. We need a top shelf prop to join the rotation and another one to compete with Lawrie and Latimore for the bench spot.

After that we need a better back up 7. Mann works as a 6 but not a 7, and while a lot of people seem to think Nicholls is wonderful, in reality he’s a 29yo career reserve grader who’s not been able to land a gig at 4 first grade clubs now. We need a backup half who is first grade standard or has a decent future - y’know, some sort of upside!

But seriously, what half of any sort of quality is going to sign just to be the back up in case of injury. The best your going to get is another Nicholls.
Any sort of young half with potential is already signed by thier own club.

With the current crop of props mostly signed now long term I'm not sure who your going to get ?

I would prefer the money be spent locking up our young kids long term.

Bench
There are reports that we have been looking at super league for a prop. I think we would be, if we even were looking at a backup for Hunt. That person would not have a decent chance for a first grade spot.
Last night showed that our young forwards are there about being ready for first grade. We should be looking in house. There are more then enough players in the junior ranks that will make the grade in the future

BennyV

Referee
But seriously, what half of any sort of quality is going to sign just to be the back up in case of injury. The best your going to get is another Nicholls.
Any sort of young half with potential is already signed by thier own club.

With the current crop of props mostly signed now long term I'm not sure who your going to get ?

I would prefer the money be spent locking up our young kids long term.
Most of our kids are already locked up long term. The only one off contract this year is Herbert, and he (or others) aren’t going to cost big dollars.

Tapau would be the best target as a prop, considering potential ongoing salary cap dramas there. Hipgrave another. There are others who have shown potential early In their career but could do with a change of culture, like Latu.

Alternately, we go hard for a potentially unsettled prop with some decent dollars.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Agree Rob.
We need a hard nosed prop.
But not much available in australia mybe os

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach

Spending cash on the prop and then buying a cheapie 14 on a one year deal who can play 7 and 9 would be my preference. Someone like fein who isn't too expensive but can play a role in case of injury, and can play the role that Mann was playing until the last couple of games. Looking at our squad I don't think Robson is ready to be a full time 9 and I'd hate to think what would happen if McInnes was injured.