What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Socceroos 2018 World Cup Qualification Thread

Clifferd

Coach
Idk if you can blame the players, they were seriously and I mean seriously unlucky. They play that same game tomorrow they probably win 7-0

Danish

Referee
Well the Saudis got up, so we are toast.

If we manage to get through Syria, looks like we will then play off against the US, Honduras, or Panama pending results of their games later today.

Have to say, I would actually love to see us face off against the US in the playoff. America have always considered themselves above us in football for no real reason, and massively inflate the quality level of the MLS (its seriously A league standard). Would be good to knock them down a peg

Smack

Coach
Hon have Mexico last game too, but not sure how hard Mexico will go when they have already qualified.

Honduras/ Panama most likely but USA can still choke..

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Like always pretty much , we're just there to make up the numbers

I thought our last WC was actually pretty good though, if we were in another group we may have very much so made the 16 with how good we played
We did pretty well with Chile, Holland and Spain in our group. Only comfortably beaten by Spain, the rest we played extremely well and gained a lot of respect internationally.

yeah, we didn't get a point, but we didn't disgrace ourselves either. That's pretty much how it's going to be for Australia for the foreseeable future unless we luck out with a decent group or we have a few prodigies come through. 06 was an anomaly, but a f**king fun one at that.

Clifferd

Coach
I thought we played good enough to beat the Dutch

Chile wasn't it like 1-1 until the last 10 mins?

Spain was the only game we entirely lost our bundle iirc

Lemon Squash

First Grade
In a weird way I think us being forced into a playoff may spike the general interest of the Aussie public like in the old days.

Since we have gone into Asia it has almost been seen as fete accompli that we would automatically qualify every 4 years, no one has really cared about the qualification its just been 'she'll be right mate' attitude.

Now that we actually have to fight and grind our way to Russia it will definitely raise interest. Good for the squad to have to go and play under real intense pressure.

But yeh even if we do manage to qualify from here we will be fish bait in Russia.

Smack

Coach
Giving Oceania .5 of a spot is bullshit. It's not a world cup when team(s) from all parts are represented.