What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sooo... Cooper Cronk...

Should we sign Cronk even at the expense of Pearce/Friend?

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Lambretta

First Grade
If you have ever attended ANZAC day or if you were at the 2010 GF you know that numbers don't tell the whole story.
The size of and extent of diaspora of Dragons fans absolutely dwarfs that of Easts.
Having a wider diaspora necessarily means that a smaller percentage of fans will attend games/become members. The average jersey owning, every game watching, Dragons fanatic in country NSW or South Queensland does not become a member or attend games.

Now as for on field success, Easts are a club to be admired. There will always be speculation about well monied, successful and well connected clubs "cheating the cap" but if they haven't been caught they must bend the rules very well. Any other club would do the same if they were as well resourced.

Anywho.
I came in here to say I hope Cronk goes well for you. He really is the only likeable one from the big 3 and his time with you will be legacy defining.

Yeah, they have a lot greater support - I get that
I was at the 2010 Grand Final - that level of support they got was something else

I just get irked when people have a go at our lack of support
If we're so poorly supported, why are our numbers in attendance so similar?
People should be amazed so many of our fans bother turning up

As for Anzac Day games - I have been at every Roosters home Anzac Day game for the past decade
At the games where Easts are the home side, support is slightly in favour of Easts - about 55% to 45% - mainly thanks to the Members of the SCG trust being largely Easts fans

For the games where St George are the home side, the percentage of St George supporters is much higher

Lambretta

First Grade
It is saddening but the Roosters needed to free up cap space so allowing Pearce to move on was the pragmatic thing to do

Cronk will be there for 2 seasons - so it will be his job to bring through our future half back

At the games where Easts are the home side, support is slightly in favour of Easts - about 55% to 45%

Holy shit... you actually believe that don't you?

I agree with most other things you have to say, but seriously man, this is the definition of delusion.

kbw

Bench

I agree with most other things you have to say, but seriously man, this is the definition of delusion.

Sydney Roosters 5th highest average home crowd
Sti 12th on that table.

Come back and tell me about crowds when YOU get some

Valheru

Coach

It's the truth and I don't know why some dragons fans have an issue admitting it although most seem ok with it.

2013, 2015 and 2017, Easts easily outnumbered saints fans at ANZAC day, it was obvious. I won't deny that their has been an occasion or two when saints have outnumbered us at our home ANZAC Day game with 2009 being the obvious one. That had a lot to do with form and to be fair we got very close to, if not exceeding your numbers in 2014.

You will probably reply with a denial of the above but don't waste your time as it is the truth.

Lambretta

First Grade

Seems that way to me
There's a tonne of Red, White and Blue there on Anzac Day
At least the last couple I've been to have been

Around 10 years ago I'd say you massively outnumbered us - when Bennett was coach - but not during the last couple when we were hosting. Our membership number rises have helped massively

It's fairly even in the concourse area - probably even in St George's favour - but the members and corporate (which always sell out on that day) gives us a slight edge in supporter numbers

The big difference is that St George fans wear the Red and White - Roosters fans, well they're not as errr committed. Then there's the ones who wear White Roosters jerseys. As they often look like St George fans.

That wasn't the case at the 2010 Grand Final - that was 70,000 St George fans, 6,000 Roosters fans and 4,000 neutrals (all cheering for St George). I have never, in any sport, seen a stadium that full and that one sided in my life. Not even Origin.

Lambretta

First Grade
It's the truth and I don't know why some dragons fans have an issue admitting it although most seem ok with it.

2013, 2015 and 2017, Easts easily outnumbered saints fans at ANZAC day, it was obvious. I won't deny that their has been an occasion or two when saints have outnumbered us at our home ANZAC Day game with 2009 being the obvious one. That had a lot to do with form and to be fair we got very close to, if not exceeding your numbers in 2014.

You will probably reply with a denial of the above but don't waste your time as it is the truth.

I have been a Roosters fan since the mid 90's and back then St George used to bring more fans to our home games than we did. This happened all the time

For 2013, 2015 & 2017 I wouldn't say it was an easy outnumber - it was fairly even down in the concourse level. Saint's bring loads. But the corporate and members swing it in our favour.

Valheru

Coach
I have been a Roosters fan since the mid 90's and back then St George used to bring more fans to our home games than we did. This happened all the time

For 2013, 2015 & 2017 I wouldn't say it was an easy outnumber - it was fairly even down in the concourse level. Saint's bring loads. But the corporate and members swing it in our favour.

I'm not one to put down Saints fans efforts in attending ANHZAC Day clashes, it just annoys me when opposition fans claim they consistently outnumber us at our own ground (particularly souths).

You are right that in the 2008-2011 period Saints dominated the attendance but things started to swing in 2012 and since then every year we have held our own and outnumbered them when we have hosted.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Back on point will be interesting to see how Cronk goes out of Melbourne.

Cannot see him flopping but interested to see how u blokes think he will go outside the Melbourne system.

Also, if Robinson does not deliver a premiership will uncle Nick punt him out the door in 2018.

Valheru

Coach

Cannot see him flopping but interested to see how u blokes think he will go outside the Melbourne system.

Also, if Robinson does not deliver a premiership will uncle Nick punt him out the door in 2018.

Barring an absolute disaster in 2018, you would have to give Robbo the 2 years that Cronk has signed for to deliver a premiership.

I am a big fan of Robbo but he has to be held to account for the Cronk signing and subsequent Pearce defection. Anything less than a premiership in 2018/19 with the squad we have should see him, among others moved on.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Barring an absolute disaster in 2018, you would have to give Robbo the 2 years that Cronk has signed for to deliver a premiership.

I am a big fan of Robbo but he has to be held to account for the Cronk signing and subsequent Pearce defection. Anything less than a premiership in 2018/19 with the squad we have should see him, among others moved on.
I find the "Premiership or bust" ultimatum to be oversimplified.

Injuries are absolutely critical in determining the Premiers each year. Yes you need a great roster but you also need a lot of luck to win a comp. Cameron Smith recently said the same thing.

Injuries probably robbed us of a comp in 2015 with a cruel double blow on the eve of the finals when we were stomping the competition.

As for 2018, if Cronk - or a combination of key players like Teddy, Cords, Keary, SST, JWH - get injured just before the finals then is it still Premiership or bust?

Beyond that just look at the Storm and Cowboys line ups. The Storm are still awesome and the Cowboys have assembled one of the best rosters I've seen in the NRL era for 2018.

If they fire at the right time then is it really a failure to lose a close contest to either of those sides?

All I know is that the Cronk signing undoubtedly brings us closer to a Premiership, but given injuries and quality opposition it'd be an oversimplification to suggest that we should view the next two years as 'Premiership or bust' until we see how the seasons unfold.

Valheru

Coach
I find the "Premiership or bust" ultimatum to be oversimplified.

Injuries are absolutely critical in determining the Premiers each year. Yes you need a great roster but you also need a lot of luck to win a comp. Cameron Smith recently said the same thing.

Injuries probably robbed us of a comp in 2015 with a cruel double blow on the eve of the finals when we were stomping the competition.

As for 2018, if Cronk - or a combination of key players like Teddy, Cords, Keary, SST, JWH - get injured just before the finals then is it still Premiership or bust?

Beyond that just look at the Storm and Cowboys line ups. The Storm are still awesome and the Cowboys have assembled one of the best rosters I've seen in the NRL era for 2018.

If they fire at the right time then is it really a failure to lose a close contest to either of those sides?

All I know is that the Cronk signing undoubtedly brings us closer to a Premiership, but given injuries and quality opposition it'd be an oversimplification to suggest that we should view the next two years as 'Premiership or bust' until we see how the seasons unfold.

Yes I do agree with the injuries part. That can change the premiership or bust mentality.

If they are minimal though, I do think it is premiership or bust, particularly if we make the top 4 and capitulate in the finals again. A GF loss to one of those 2 sides or another side that catches fire might be considered a pass.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I could tolerate a GF loss to the Cowboys.

I mean I'd be devastated but I wouldn't be forming a lynch mob.

Thurston, Morgan, Coote and Granville playing behind a pack of Taumalolo, Scott, McLean, Bolton, Hess, Cooper, Lowe... that's just unfair!

And with a very solid and dependable 3/4 line too.

There'd be no shame in going down to that team in an epic contest.

But again, injuries will shape the season so much that it's unlikely such a GF match up would occur.

Lambretta

First Grade

Cronk is too much the consummate professional to do anything other than play his part
I think he will be absolutely fine

He has a strong playing group around him - if he was going into a weak side who struggled from week to week, then I would question his ability to make a massive difference, but he is not joining a complete rabble

The two big questions will be

1. How will he handle not getting the rub of the green from the refs?
Melbourne, Queensland and Australia very rarely face official instigated adversity

2. Will he have any hair left after watching yet another brain dead moron in Red, White and Blue drop the ball on the third tackle? He will likely only touch the ball six or seven times a half with the amount of ball we drop lol

SBD82

Coach
Pathetic reply, but did I expect any better ? You better watch it or I'll make another phone call to Ousty Dousty pretending I'm a Roosters talent scout on the look out for a new coach. The last time I called they re-signed Mary for another two years. Care to make that 4 ?
Oi! Easy tiger...

Let's not do anything drastic eh?

Reactions: OVP

Valheru

Coach
I could tolerate a GF loss to the Cowboys.

I mean I'd be devastated but I wouldn't be forming a lynch mob.

Thurston, Morgan, Coote and Granville playing behind a pack of Taumalolo, Scott, McLean, Bolton, Hess, Cooper, Lowe... that's just unfair!

And with a very solid and dependable 3/4 line too.

There'd be no shame in going down to that team in an epic contest.

But again, injuries will shape the season so much that it's unlikely such a GF match up would occur.

I agree but i think where i am coming from is that we could lose a GF to that team with Pearce whilst preserving his legacy at the roosters and not javing to look for another halfback in 2 years. Although i do believe the club wanted to keep him, he left because cronk was recruited so if cronk produces the same result (albeit it may not be his fault), one has to question what the point of the exercise was.

adamkungl

Immortal
As i've said before, not a fan of this at all, and nothing but a premiership will make me happy with it. Another in a line of recruitment decisions I believe the club has cocked up since 2015.
The club speaks of culture signing players like Cronk and SBW but scrapes up dregs like Paul Carter.

Pearce and SKD should have broken records at this club as one club players. With Aubo and later Friend and JWH, led us out of the post-Fittler decline era. At this stage it wouldn't surprise me if none of those players end their careers with us. Rumours abound that we're shopping Cordner around too.

If Pearce goes to Manly they'll finish higher than us next year.

Latest posts