What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soundwave leaks two bands for 2013 lineup

ggmu

Juniors
All in all a good day
Planned on seeing Fozzy but was stuck in traffic and arrived late

Anthrax- Good set even played a little ACDC for the crowd.

Pucifer- Never heard the before but friends r really into Maynard enjoyed the show but not really the stuff i usually listen to.

Stone Sour- Corey Taylor is a f***ing legend. Plenty of energy the crowd was really getting into it. One of my favs from the day.

Slayer- Love the old school sound of Slayer getting on in age but still come heavy and hard.

A Perfect Circle- Good show enjoyed them opening with imagine.

Linkin Park- Not much of a Linking Park fan anymore(dont like their new stuff) but i loved there set lots of old stuff and the way the new stuff was played makes me want to give them a second chance. Was very classy of them to stop playing when someone went down in the mosh pit. Straight away called attention to it and thanked the mosher for helping security and first aiders out.

Metallica- Highlight of the night(minus the 30 min delay before they came out) plenty of intensity all the old classics mixed into the set. Didnt think they were coming back out at one ponit till i realised they hadnt played seek and destroy yet lol. Still rocking hard at there age hopefully a new album coming soon and hopefully and improvement over the last one.

franklin2323

Immortal
The setup was so much better. I didn't have to lineup for anything. I needed a toilet ANZ, ATM same & drink take your pick. Should always be the case.

Apart from Linkin Park spent the day at stage 2 & 3.

Linkin Park- Thankfully played bugger all off the new albums. They put on a great show. Great effort to stop when the guy collapsed in the mosh.
The band that surprised me was Billy Talent. I knew they were good but they were close to the best on that stage which given some of the names on that stage is a good effort.
Flogging Molly's acoustic set was pretty cool
Sum 41- A Killer mosh. Good setlist choice.
The Vandals - a typical good performance.
Blink - I was curious to check out the crowd with them they just couldn't get the crowd interested.
Offspring- still good. Though the 5 years since they came here last Dexter spent eating.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard Garbage couldn't play because of an issue getting their stuff to the venue in time.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
My SW journey:

The Wonder Years: About as good as the latest wave of pop punk gets. Plenty of hooks for the crowd to sing along with. First crowd surf of the day

Billy Talent: What a performance! Played a good variety of their material. Flawless

Sum 41: Great mosh, but I copped an elbow to the throat which made me withdraw to the seated area. These guys never disappoint.

A perfect circle: Never been a huge fan, but I can see why so many people jerk them selves off to Maynard. The man can sing.

Linkin Park: Definitely the best spectacle. When you consider range and variety, Chester would have to be one the the best vocalists in modern rock. Shame points of authority got cut short, but it's good form from them to stop playing... But it shows one of the flaws of playing to a backing track.

Blink 182: They were awesome. The crowd was not... but then, I couldn't get my way into the D barrier. Still pretty funny on stage

The Offspring: They didn't let anyone into the d barrier until the 4th song... when I got in there the crowd was doing nothing, but all of us who were stuck outside the D eventually found our way to the middle and caused some havok. Great set. But damn they look old now. haha

Great day. Shame there were so many clashes

Silent Knight

First Grade
I went and saw Blink 182 on the Friday night at their Brisbane sideshow. The crowd was really into it, heaps of chicks in the crowd as well. Highlights for me were What's My Age Again, Carousel, First Date, Josie, Dammit and of course All The Small Things. Brooks Wackerman did a good job on the drums.

Highlights at Soundwave for me were:

Flogging Molly - everyone was dancing and clapping the whole time. Couldn't get over how good they were.

A Perfect Circle - Passive, 3 Libras and The Outsider lived up to my expectations. Maynard didn't show much energy on stage but with his voice he didn't really need to. They just let their music do the talking.

Linkin Park - Crowd went fricking nuts when Points of Authority came on. Personal favourite was Bleed It Out. Great light show and the band were very tight. A mate of mine told me LP are an ordinary live band and I'd be best served missing them. The next time I see him I'll deadset call him a tosser. But then again he's a boring hipster, so I didn't really value his opinion on LP that much in the first place.

Metallica - like a fine wine they only get better with age. Master of Puppets drove the pit into a frenzy as per usual. Cyanide off their latest album sounded pretty damn good. It was good to hear ...And Justice For All which I don't believe I've heard live before. For Whom The Bell Tolls is a personal favourite and the way they closed out with Battery and Seek & Destroy was legendary. Hands down the greatest live band in the world today imo. I was really impressed by the crowd as well, it got a bit rough in patches but we looked out for one another.

Bring on the Offspring in less than 2 weeks!

natheel

Coach
Mindless self indulgence - I like them but just couldn't get into them yesterday

The vandals - so entertaining. Sound in that stage ws shit but they just messed about and that made it awesome

Flogging Molly - chill out time in the seats and really fun to listen too

Billy Talent - great set! One of the best for me

Sum 41 - meh ok. Couldn't get into them

All time low - what do people see in them?

Slayer - really good sound but needed food at that stage so left to get some

Cypress Hill - crowd were really into it and tht made me enjoy it too they were entertaining tbh

Sharks - batshit boring

Blink 182 - like sum I couldn't get into it so went to Metallica

Bring me the horizon - caught 2 minutes. I used to like em but now couldn't sit there and watch

Metallica - amazing! Best of the day. Probably better on their tour they did last time actually. Orion was a highlight!

Offspring - went and chilled out to the last of their set. Heaps of fun. Closing with self esteem was great

Paramore - they should have done everyone a favour and pulled out like garbage! (Although garbage wouldve been good) Haley Williams is annoying and their music is terrible.

Danish

Referee
Yesterday restored my faith in festivals in this country. After the clusterf**k that was Big Day Out this year, Soundwave was a breath of fresh air.

All the bands were great, highlights for me being Blink and Offspring. I think the key with Stage 2 was to be in the D, otherwise the sound was terrible. Watched Sum 41 earlier in the day and the sound in the stands was unlistenable, and I had to walk around the floor to find somewhere that it sounded half decent. Then once I was actually in the D for Blink and Offspring suddenly the sound was what it should be.

Also caught some of Slayer, APC, and Linkin Park in ANZ. The sound there was ridiculously awesome, and all bands were brilliant.

Something funny during the Offspring though. When they performed Bad Habit and got to the big crowd participation part (drivers are rude... etc), the crowd had NOTHING. Dexter was visibly pissed and did not risk another crowd particpation after that :lol:. I guess thats what happens when you play a song that is older than 60-70% of the audience (most of the older fans obviously watching Metallica at that point)

As for the organisation, absolute top notch. Food stalls EVERYWHERE, with all of them open basically till the end of the night. Over 20 bars open as well, with not a line in sight at any of them really. Free AND cold drinking water... Hell they even handled the curveball of missing equipment trucks well, pushing back bands on the fly and basically fitting everyone in (except Garbage who apparently chucked a hissy fit at being asked to play later than their allocated set time).

All in all I had a great day, and it looks like Soundwave has finally got their act together to match the quality of the line ups they have been producing for the last few years. Big Day Out is in major trouble over the next 5 years IMO. I can see Soundwave cannibalising a lot of their patrons, with Future music also taking their fair share given they are throwing in some cool rock/pop acts to go along with the electronic. There are definitely too many festivals in Oz these days and one of them is going to die soon

I only watched 4 bands but had a good time.

Night before I went and saw Blink and The Vandals. The Vandals were awesome and were the band I was most looking forward to for the whole festival. Then saw Blink and danced like crazy for a while, reliving my high school days. Had an absolute ball.

Got there at 12 and went down to stage 2 for Mindless Self Indulgence who are always fun. I love watching their crazy antics and seeing Jimmy Urine abuse people in the crowd. Easily the most camp band I have ever seen. They were very fun.

Next was the Vandals I tried to get into D barrier but they wouldnt let me in coz i had a backpack, I asked a security dude to mind it for me and he did which was really nice of him. got inside and went nuts for vandals who played another fun set. Warren Fitzgerald was funny as always and walked around shaking hands and taking photos with people in the crowd during the set lol. was great to see them for the 6th and 7th time.

next we raced off to Bullet For My Valentine, this was when i first noticed how many f**king people there were. they defintely oversold tickets for this years sw. anyways i went nuts for it as they played a pretty solid set. They didn't play my 2 fave Bullet songs (hand of blood & alone) but every song was played well and i had a blast.

This is where the day caught up with me. I'm not the fittest person in the world, infact, I'm nowhere near it. But when a band I like is on, I will go as hard out as anyone for hours and hours and i don't really feel tired or anything until after the set. I can usually get away with it at club shows but in 40 degree heat, it caught up with me quickly. I was f**ked.

We went back down to stage 2 for Billy Talent. this was a f**king nightmare, so many people were heading down there it took f**king ages. when we finally got there, i didnt see shit, i just sat there dying haha. I decided to skip sum 41 and get a good position for Shai Hulud, however this was tough as apparently every person in the world was there to see Sum 41. had to push through herds of people to get out.

I ended up at the wrong stage and saw some of sleeping with sirens who were f**king awful. then i finally found stage 6 which was hard to find coz it was upstairs into some small auditorium. I made it through Shai hulud, i was one of 50 people there to see them. then i bailed home. I had seen all i had wanted to see, didn't need to see Blink again. I went home and died.

Mong

Post Whore
All in all a good day
Planned on seeing Fozzy but was stuck in traffic and arrived late

Anthrax- Good set even played a little ACDC for the crowd.

Pucifer- Never heard the before but friends r really into Maynard enjoyed the show but not really the stuff i usually listen to.

Stone Sour- Corey Taylor is a f***ing legend. Plenty of energy the crowd was really getting into it. One of my favs from the day.

Slayer- Love the old school sound of Slayer getting on in age but still come heavy and hard.

A Perfect Circle- Good show enjoyed them opening with imagine.

Linkin Park- Not much of a Linking Park fan anymore(dont like their new stuff) but i loved there set lots of old stuff and the way the new stuff was played makes me want to give them a second chance. Was very classy of them to stop playing when someone went down in the mosh pit. Straight away called attention to it and thanked the mosher for helping security and first aiders out.

Metallica- Highlight of the night(minus the 30 min delay before they came out) plenty of intensity all the old classics mixed into the set. Didnt think they were coming back out at one ponit till i realised they hadnt played seek and destroy yet lol. Still rocking hard at there age hopefully a new album coming soon and hopefully and improvement over the last one.

You are not a death magnetic fan?

It's their best album for a while!!

ggmu

Juniors
You are not a death magnetic fan?

It's their best album for a while!!

Liked a few songs but just couldn't get into that album as much as I tried too. Having said that its better than 99.9% of "music" that is released these days. So I shouldn't be to judgemental.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
this guy is in a ton of poo

581801_10200166502144367_940364534_n.jpg

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
Yesterday restored my faith in festivals in this country. After the clusterf**k that was Big Day Out this year, Soundwave was a breath of fresh air.

All the bands were great, highlights for me being Blink and Offspring. I think the key with Stage 2 was to be in the D, otherwise the sound was terrible. Watched Sum 41 earlier in the day and the sound in the stands was unlistenable, and I had to walk around the floor to find somewhere that it sounded half decent. Then once I was actually in the D for Blink and Offspring suddenly the sound was what it should be.

Also caught some of Slayer, APC, and Linkin Park in ANZ. The sound there was ridiculously awesome, and all bands were brilliant.

Something funny during the Offspring though. When they performed Bad Habit and got to the big crowd participation part (drivers are rude... etc), the crowd had NOTHING. Dexter was visibly pissed and did not risk another crowd particpation after that :lol:. I guess thats what happens when you play a song that is older than 60-70% of the audience (most of the older fans obviously watching Metallica at that point)

As for the organisation, absolute top notch. Food stalls EVERYWHERE, with all of them open basically till the end of the night. Over 20 bars open as well, with not a line in sight at any of them really. Free AND cold drinking water... Hell they even handled the curveball of missing equipment trucks well, pushing back bands on the fly and basically fitting everyone in (except Garbage who apparently chucked a hissy fit at being asked to play later than their allocated set time).

All in all I had a great day, and it looks like Soundwave has finally got their act together to match the quality of the line ups they have been producing for the last few years. Big Day Out is in major trouble over the next 5 years IMO. I can see Soundwave cannibalising a lot of their patrons, with Future music also taking their fair share given they are throwing in some cool rock/pop acts to go along with the electronic. There are definitely too many festivals in Oz these days and one of them is going to die soon

That was terrible. I came from Linkin to watch Blink, so missed out on the D barrier for them. So I camped outside the D barrier, so i'd be first in for Offspring when people made their exodus after Blink. There were tonnes of hardcore Offspring fans waiting to get in, and it took until the 4th song for them to let us in. Then when we got in it was nothing but tweens who give you dirty looks when you try to push to the front to get a pit going. We finally got to a good spot as Americana started, and the pit went off after that...

My point? The latest generation should be banned from D barriers... They just stand there and scowl at you for trying to get into the music. Screw them.

I also made the point that most of Offspring's old school fans would have been over at Metallica. There were young guys there creaming their pants over "Spare me the details" and scratching their heads when they played Gone Away.

adamkungl

Immortal
Metallica was f**king amazing. Played a tighter show than their last Sydney gig, went off. Top setlist too. Only complaint is the 40 f**king minute delay to come on stage, I thought we were seeing a repeat of Slayer 2011.

Speaking of, saw the Anthrax, Slayer sideshow last night, top notch by both, I wish Anthrax could have played a full set, at least 5 songs I would have loved to see. Kingdom of Sorrow opened well too.

Other bands I saw were all very enjoyable:
Dragonforce - rumours about them being shit live are (at least in 2013, cant speak for 5+ yrs ago) absolutely false.
Sylosis - the guys can f**king play. Top set.
Orange Goblin
The Sword - both vaguely similar bands, heavy and distorted as f**k, both were enjoyable to just drink and mosh to.
APC - Sounded ok but didn't get into too much, not my style.
Linkin Park - Surprisingly good

2 days of circle pits has be utterly battered, bruised ribs being the 'highlight' of my extensive aches and pains :lol:
Sidenote - have to agree with Danish on the organisation. Never had a major issue before but they stepped it up a notch this year. Breeze to get through the bag checks, food drink and toilets widely available all day with no lines.

Bring on next year!

Big Pete

Referee
Most of the day is a blur.

Caught the tail end of Anthrax and just remember seeing Scott Ian and playing TNT. Solid performance but nothing that would make me think ohhhh that's Anthrax.

Never been a fan but Bullet For My Valentine was a bit of fun. Crowd was really into it.

Don't know why, but decided to go see Billy Talent. Not my style.

Don't remember much until Insane in the Membrane. That was fun, it was good to have a bit of variety and while I'm not a huge fan of rap or hip-hop (can't distinguish it) it was fun to be apart of the mosh.

Took a break to catch up with a bunch of people and eat before going to see Ghost. They were a sight to behold, started a little slow, sort of like APC apparently but were coming into their own as we had to leave and get our places for Metallica.

Thought Linkin Park were pretty eh but I seem to be in the minority. Too much new stuff and their older stuff just felt a little off. Mind you, was on the otherside of it behind the D-barrier so that may have hurt it.

Metallica were pretty good. Wish I had have actively listened to their stuff before-hand but the songs I knew I really appreciated (mostly the singles) and the production was just behind Iron Maiden's as the best I've seen.

Overall, fun day. Personally preferred BDO but only because that's more my scene.

DB

First Grade
Had a main-stage day....

Was going to check out Fozzy, but didn't get there in time.

Anthrax: Hadn't heard much of them, but really enjoyable. Good to hear them play 'TNT' aswell.

Tomahawk: Wanted to check the out for the Mike Patton factor. Much like Zack de la Rocha's 'One Day as A Lion', there was something missing that I couldn't put my finger on, and if it was there they would have been incredible.

Bullet for my Valentine: Judging by the key demographic of the young girls coming into see them, wasn't sure if I'd like them. A band where their intros got you hooked into the song, but once the singing started, it lost it.

Kyuss Lives: Really fun. Loved it, but I am a fan of QOTSA and the Desert Sessions.

Stone Sour: Really high energy gig, but my issue was it was pretty much the exact same energy level as last time I saw them.

Slayer: Good, but the crowd from where I was didn't seem as into it as I thought they would be.

A Perfect Circle: I had my phone out after 10 minutes..... enough said.

Linkin Park: Suprisingly good.... although I couldn't help singing Jay Z's parts to Numb.

Metallica: INCREDIBLE. One of the best shows I have seen ever.

Latest posts