What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 2018 fullback

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Too depressed to talk about 2017. This year sucked. But if there has been one shining light in the pack it's definitely AJ. Deserved top try scorer this year with his form and I think he brings a lot more to the team when he is at fullback rather than on the wing.

I know GI is one of the greatest players we've ever had, but using him as such an integral part of our spine worries me for a few reasons. He is getting old now which means there is a very high chance of injury for the legend. He will most likely be playing origin so will miss the middle period of the season anyway which could be crucial for us. I think for the past 2 years we've relied too much on Inglis to do everything and I think we need to move forward from that. Inglis is a class centre and will still be just as much a threat to the opposition without having such a big risk for injury. I think Inglis should be completely out of the debate for fullback because he is not our future.

Then there's Gagai who gets involved wherever he plays on the field. He could play on the wing yet still deliver 200+ metres. This is a big reason why I want Gagai in the centres or on the wing. I think our back 5 have lacked a lot of involvement and have been quite lazy throughout the year. I believe Gagai gets involved in the game no matter what where AJ needs to be at fullback to get involved.

Ultimately I think the fullback position should go to a player who isn't likely to miss any games next year as the spine positions are the positions that you don't want to be constantly chopping and changing. It can destroy the tempo of play and really mess up combinations. I would like Souths to stick with a spine for 26 rounds next year and tough it out obviously with the exception of injuries.

My vote is for AJ to claim the fullback position purely because of how much more involved in the game he is back there. Having GI and Gagai in the outside backs is not wasted talent either. You need quality outside backs to put points on the board. Souths have lacked that quality this year so moving GI and Gagai there could really benefit us.

Would love to hear others opinions. I think our spine next year is going to be a very controversial topic.

rabbitohs95

Bench
For me it's AJ.

I'm just worried about the rest of our backs. Besides GI and Gagai we don't really have anyone that can nail down a spot.

Currently I'd have

1. AJ
2. Gagai
3. Hunt
4. Inglis
5. Jennings/Graham

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
For me it's AJ.

I'm just worried about the rest of our backs. Besides GI and Gagai we don't really have anyone that can nail down a spot.

Currently I'd have

1. AJ
2. Gagai
3. Hunt
4. Inglis
5. Jennings/Graham

Agreed I wouldn't mind seeing another winger come to Souths. But if the cap restraint is really too much then we gotta work with what we've got. Jennings had a good showing against the storm. We were down by 60 but it was still good!

Rabbit toes

First Grade
I'd give Inglis 1st crack again. If fitness is down, then shuffle AJ back there.

Inglis
AJ
Gagai

If we go through those 3 and have to choose a 4th then it's probably the season gone already!

rabbitohs95

Bench
Agreed I wouldn't mind seeing another winger come to Souths. But if the cap restraint is really too much then we gotta work with what we've got. Jennings had a good showing against the storm. We were down by 60 but it was still good!
I'd really like to see us bring back Joe Burgess. Could form a deadly combo with GI inside him.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I'd give Inglis 1st crack again. If fitness is down, then shuffle AJ back there.

Inglis
AJ
Gagai

If we go through those 3 and have to choose a 4th then it's probably the season gone already!
I'm sure GI will get first go at fullback. He's captain afterall.

1. GI
2. AJ
3. Hunt
4. Gagai
5. Jennings

Doesn't look too shabby but it all depends on how GI, Jennings and Hunt are with injuries.

doyen

Bench
AJ gets first crack in my mind.
GI will be such a weapon at centre

I think what you say is the best option--AJ has proven that he can do big things when the team is firing.
GI could create havoc at centre--it's not as if he's a foreigner to the posse!

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
inglis
AJ
gagai
buy a centre
buy a winger
cody
reyno

SOUTHS BLOODY WELL need a real 1st grade centre and a real 1st grade winger please stop accepting mediocrity forget about hunt/jennings/talakai/graham.....but out of the 3 id persist with graham only for 1st grade he will only get better when he fills out.....hunt talakai and jennings/talakai are all dead set nsw cup standard players FACT and are not worthy to put on a souths 1st grade jumper ....Shadow...WE ARE LACKING A CENTRE PLUS A WINGER JUST LOOK AT THE STORMS BACK LINE THEY WOULD NOT TOUCH JENNINGS/BURNS/TALAKAI/GRAHAM IN THEIR CURRENT BACK LINE . BLIND FREDDY KNOWS THAT IT AINT ROCKET SCIENCE YOU KNOW......

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
inglis
AJ
gagai
buy a centre.....WE NEED DYLAN WALKER BACK AT SOUTHS .
buy a winger.....THERE MUST BE A BETTER 1ST GRADE WINGER OUT THERE SOMEWHERE IN RUGBY LEAGUE LAND RATHER THAN SOUTHS USING EITHER OF THESE 2 MEDIOCRE NSW CUP STANDARD PLAYERS SUCH AS - BURNS/JENNINGS FFS:rolleyes:
cody
reyno

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
ITS A FUGGIN MESS FOR 2018 ALREADY UNLESS WE BUY A TOP CENTRE AND A SPEEDSTER WINGER OR WE ARE DOOMED ONCE MORE . HUNT AND JENNINGS ARE NOT THE ANSWER I HATE STICKING WITH MEDIOCRITY SUCH AS THESE 2 DUDS .

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
SOUTHS are in trouble for 2018 why oh why do we have all those duds on my list ready for 2018????? you have to be kidding me souths??wake the fug up souths do you want the wooden spoon you fools because thats where we are heading read below .....Shadow...

BRITT
BURNS
CHERRINGTON
CLARK
GOSIEWSKI
GREINKE
HUNT
JENNINGS
KELLY
MOCEIDREKE
MUSGROVE (LATEST DUD TO BE ADDED TO MY DUD LIST HE IS GOING BACKWARDS)
REYNOLDS (TIME TO SHOP REYNO/ FARAH IMMEDIATELY AND BUY MALONEY OR CRONK)
RUDOLF
SUTTON (NEEDS TO JOIN SOUTHS CARE PROGRAM IN 2018)
TALAKAI
TRACEY
TURNER
TYRRELL

Last edited:

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
I CANT BELIEVE CROWE AND RICHO AND MADGE AND CO ARE THIS FUGGING DUMB WITH RECRUITMENT/RETENTION ABOVE... oi R20 AM I FIRED UP MATE TOO RIGHT I BLOODY AM MATE I BEEN HITTING THE KEYBOARDS FOR THE PAST 2 DAYS ON HERE WHEN I GET A MOMENT I AM BLEEDING RED AND GREEN BLOOD MATE...Shadow...

handyman2190

Bench
I CANT BELIEVE CROWE AND RICHO AND MADGE AND CO ARE THIS FUGGING DUMB WITH RECRUITMENT/RETENTION ABOVE... oi R20 AM I FIRED UP MATE TOO RIGHT I BLOODY AM MATE I BEEN HITTING THE KEYBOARDS FOR THE PAST 2 DAYS ON HERE WHEN I GET A MOMENT I AM BLEEDING RED AND GREEN BLOOD MATE...Shadow...
Agree agree agree we need to replace what we loose the cap has gone up SHOW US THE MONEY

Dogmatix

Juniors
Johnston did improve a lot in attack in his last 3 games at fullback. So he might make it as a fullback in the long run

However his defence has so far been hopeless at fullback and defence is half the game. Vs Canberra only 4 games back he let in 2 tries with poor defence that he could have stopped

Right now Inglis is the only proven fullback Souths have got while Johnston is a proven winger

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think Inglis is more of centre these days. I understand wanting to give him first crack at fullback but I feel it's better to work with AJ there during the whole pre season there. Inglis just has that magic touch that could really be deadly at centre.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Johnston did improve a lot in attack in his last 3 games at fullback. So he might make it as a fullback in the long run

However his defence has so far been hopeless at fullback and defence is half the game. Vs Canberra only 4 games back he let in 2 tries with poor defence that he could have stopped

Right now Inglis is the only proven fullback Souths have got while Johnston is a proven winger

I think you've got to cut Johnston some slack though. He does have poor defensive reads but that's always gonna happen when you've played less than 50 maybe even 100 games back there. Fullback positioning is one of the hardest in the game.