What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Logan and Acacia Ridge

Sydney Carton

Juniors
Are you kidding Schultzy?

You could get Scweppes drinks (before the canteen ran out), and sausage rolls (before the canteen ran out), and and...well that was about it I suppose.

But the grandstand was a plus, and the can bar was always entertaining. Close to the action and elevated and shade in the afternoon is all this footy fan needs.

Purtell & Kougari are close behind Meakin. Then light years back to Souths & Norths.

chileman

Coach
Remember one player complaining he was nearly whacked in the head by a flying baseball from across the road :lol:

mightybears

Bench
chileman said:
Where is that???

souths league juniors [brandon park, acacia ridge], essential near to the admin site of archerfield aiport [where archerfield, coopers plains and acacia ridge meet.]

if on the beaudesert rd/mt lindsay/traffic nightmare going north take a left at mortimer road, fields are on your right [with netball, bowls club etc]

chileman

Coach
mightybears said:
souths league juniors [brandon park, acacia ridge], essential near to the admin site of archerfield aiport [where archerfield, coopers plains and acacia ridge meet.]

if on the beaudesert rd/mt lindsay/traffic nightmare going north take a left at mortimer road, fields are on your right [with netball, bowls club etc]
Cheers amigo....lived here 5 years and still have no idea :lol:

mightybears

Bench
Stewbum said:
What do southerners call it?

generically just a street directory or the 'gregorys'
bleak city residents tend to call it the 'melway' [again like sydney after the traditional brand/publisher].

noticed that melway have started publishing a brisway this/last year

NZ Jet

Juniors
....used to be caled the UBD in Sydney

I had planned to move back to Brisbane this year (got lost somewhere along the way and ended up in Auckland), and given the demise of Wests, I was going to follow Souths in the QC. 2 main reasons - tradition first, but also the similarity to the Newtown situation. Having lived and breathed Newtown Jets every 2nd Saturday for the past four years, I would think there is a real opportunity for Souths at West End. The Jets organisation basically just decided to get on with making the club as successful as could be in a 2nd tier comp.

I have seen the inner wes community adopt the Jets and really get behind the club. It has taken a few years but the transformation is amazing. In 2001 I could wear my Jets jersey and it may as well have been a school jersey to the general public - now you can't go anywhere in the inner west without people yelling "go the mighty Jets!" at you. Crowds of up to 2000 at Henson Pk loving the experience with a great spirit - truly a fantastic rubgy league cutlture.

This has all come about mainly through increasing visbility in the area - street stalls at community events, Newtown gear sold in local shops, articles in the local papers every week etc etc etc - doesn't happen overnight but is hapenning.

Around the inner west we live in old houses, narrow streets, sense of community - not a Westfield, Parking Station, Delphin developed plastic (but with heritage styling) community at all - ie. a bit like West End......

People have moved into these old communities and look for something to bond with in the community - surely Souths could achieve the same at West End (Valleys should have done this even more so)

Having said all that - it is ridiculous for Logan not to have a team of it's own as well...

my 2 cents anyway
cheers

Latest posts