What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths vs Eels Rd 12

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Well surely we need to start the cleanout.

Problem is we aren't even signing cheap solid/good buys,

We got nothing currently...........

I'm not too sure how to answer it either. It's quite frustrating. I think we're still trying to figure out who we can keep before we go out and start buying players. Need to let all the off contract players go maybe bar cherrington?

souths_reborn

Juniors
Souths Reborn you say it isn't as bad as it looks. But it actually is. You can't just put most of the blame on Reynolds.

Tom, George, Turner, Rochow, Cherrington, Clark etc...... they have not been pulling their finger out and helping Crichton and Sam.

Farah imo is a has been. Sutto has to retire.

Hunt is overrated.

Jennings, Burns and Talakai wouldn't make it at other clubs.

We need a big cleanout. We have about 19 players who shouldn't be in our squad. Farah, Sutto and Goodwin are getting old.

We only have 11 first graders that are very capable for 2018. We are in a mess and I can't see it changing next year. In fact we will be in the bottom 4 again next year I predict unless we have a cleanout.
I stand by that assertion; its not as if we are in a predicament like Newcastle where we are down on quality or where the performances are a complete shambles, like we've seen from some teams this season. In terms of what we are doing right, there are quite a few things that can be happy about. For instance, for the most part this season I actually think our defence hasn't been too bad. Similarly, our discipline in regards to conceding penalties has also been good. Our forward pack is also moving forward and getting in good field position and both our hookers have made contributions.

You say we shouldn't just blame Reynolds but you say that without examining the reasons as to why we are continually inviting pressure on ourselves and not scoring points. What is happening at present is that our forwards are making good ground but we are not capitalising on their good work because of Adam Reynolds' poor last tackle options. Similarly, when we do get the chance to attack our opponents goal line Reynolds is failing to contribute: he is putting the ball dead, miscuing kicks, failing to execute any sort of plays or simply just shifting the ball on. Overall, he is just not building any pressure which is what he is in the team to do via his kicking game.

Of course I was down on Issac for his bad deeds that cost us greatly at times but take that crap out & he's 5 times the player Cook is!!
I can't agree with anything you say so verbosely above until players like Reynolds,Cook etc.transform their ordinary efforts into results!!
In case you haven't noticed we are languishing at the rear end of the table!!
I know exactly where we are on the table. My point is that in terms of the way we are playing, I'd say it is an improvement from last years debacle. Moreover, the mistakes we are making are easily fixed and we have shown already this season that we are more than capable of matching it against the best.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm not too sure how to answer it either. It's quite frustrating. I think we're still trying to figure out who we can keep before we go out and start buying players. Need to let all the off contract players go maybe bar cherrington?
Well mate I have 18-19 guys that aren't up to it!!!!

Problem is (I am not sure how many of them are coming off contract) if we let say 8 or 9 of them go well then who do we replace them with as other clubs are swooping and we aren't!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I stand by that assertion; its not as if we are in a predicament like Newcastle where we are down on quality or where the performances are a complete shambles, like we've seen from some teams this season. In terms of what we are doing right, there are quite a few things that can be happy about. For instance, for the most part this season I actually think our defence hasn't been too bad. Similarly, our discipline in regards to conceding penalties has also been good. Our forward pack is also moving forward and getting in good field position and both our hookers have made contributions.

You say we shouldn't just blame Reynolds but you say that without examining the reasons as to why we are continually inviting pressure on ourselves and not scoring points. What is happening at present is that our forwards are making good ground but we are not capitalising on their good work because of Adam Reynolds' poor last tackle options. Similarly, when we do get the chance to attack our opponents goal line Reynolds is failing to contribute: he is putting the ball dead, miscuing kicks, failing to execute any sort of plays or simply just shifting the ball on. Overall, he is just not building any pressure which is what he is in the team to do via his kicking game.

Newcastle are playing with heart though. We couldn't seem to give a stuff in some of our games. It's poor attitude.

If we don't start clearing the duds and making some signings we could slip lower next season.

Gagai ain't gonna work miracles!!!!!!!!!!

It's ok to say let's get rid of Reyno but who do we replace him with????

Also with Cody possibly wanting out that means we'd need to chase 2 halves and there isn't much out there.

Maloney might be an option but in regards to a cheaper option the only guy I can think of is Benji Marshall. At least he's better than dud Luke Kelly.

We have the third or fourth worst defence in the comp. It isnot good enough sorry.

Our forward pack isn't all doing it's job either. The onus is coming on Sam and Crichton far too much.

The twins, Turner, Clark, Rochow etc.... have not been pulling their weight.

If Sam and Angus continue with this workload they will get injured.

Cody is fading in and out of games too much so I wouldn't just blame AR.

Problem with AR is he's so fragile and I think he's carrying injuries tbh with you.

His body is really struggling.

We don't have the backs to capatalise either which is a big problem.

If we want to sell AR off who do we sign without paying overs?????

We aren't really attracting much market wise are we?????

I know exactly where we are on the table. My point is that in terms of the way we are playing, I'd say it is an improvement from last years debacle. Moreover, the mistakes we are making are easily fixed and we have shown already this season that we are more than capable of matching it against the best.

doyen

Bench

Sths are leaking 22.5 pts a game--hardly sterling defence--I think you give us far too much credit there!!

Last season,at this stage,we were doing a fair bit better with only a minus 6 diff!! [minus 65 this year]. And on 10 pts.
We'd scored 266 pts[204 this yr].

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't think the mistakes are easily fixed either as it's been that way for a while now and it doesn't seem simple at all!!!!!!

I completely disagree Souths Reborn.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Sths are leaking 22.5 pts a game--hardly sterling defence--I think you give us far too much credit there!!

Last season,at this stage,we were doing a fair bit better with only a minus 6 diff!! [minus 65 this year]. And on 10 pts.
We'd scored 266 pts[204 this yr].

Those numbers are inflated by the manly game and the tigers game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
22.5 per game-------inflated or not;that is the average!

It does say,however,we were humiliated in a couple!

Whichever aspect you take we are minus 65 in differential which is POOR--NB. Poor!!!
I'm just gonna check now how many points we avg a game in attack.............

It's 17 points per game Doyen and that's inflated by our 38 we put on Manly and 28 we put on the Tigers.

In about 5 matches this season we have only scored 1 try in each of those matches.

We are 13th in attack.

We are 13th in defence too.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade

doyen

Bench
I'm just gonna check now how many points we avg a game in attack.............

It's 17 points per game Doyen and that's inflated by our 38 we put on Manly and 28 we put on the Tigers.

In about 5 matches this season we have only scored 1 try in each of those matches.

We are 13th in attack.

We are 13th in defence too.

The alarm bells must be ringing thunderously at Sths at present!!

The Eels bombed about 4 tries & we basically scratched around for 80 mins. to come up with only one that you could barely accept as teamwork---& that was a late consolation try.
Crichton's was luck only & AJ's second a "hail Mary" effort which wasn't a try anyway!!

At present our roster is appearing second-rate but as a lot of players are on L-plates there is room for some optimism,I suppose!!

themacemaceman

Juniors
They say in a relationship or marriage you should never go to bed angry...... well that's been a bit difficult this year as a Rabbitohs supporter.
This missus can't wait for the end of the season!

One thing about the para game was their line speed and our lack off.
They were moving up very quickly in defence and stifling our attack. And to add to that our ball runners were being dominated and not getting quick play the balls.
To me this is the crux of the problem.
I'm sure the coaching staff are all over this. It's just getting the players to respond.
Look I have no coachng credentials and haven't played at anything above high school level so I'm no expert but to me that was what stood out.

And then when we were defending we didn't seem to have that same line speed as the eels. Something that we did have in 2014. We seemed to have this killer instinct in defence and would hammer teams when they were trying to bring the ball out from there own goal line.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
They say in a relationship or marriage you should never go to bed angry...... well that's been a bit difficult this year as a Rabbitohs supporter.
This missus can't wait for the end of the season!

One thing about the para game was their line speed and our lack off.
They were moving up very quickly in defence and stifling our attack. And to add to that our ball runners were being dominated and not getting quick play the balls.
To me this is the crux of the problem.
I'm sure the coaching staff are all over this. It's just getting the players to respond.
Look I have no coachng credentials and haven't played at anything above high school level so I'm no expert but to me that was what stood out.

And then when we were defending we didn't seem to have that same line speed as the eels. Something that we did have in 2014. We seemed to have this killer instinct in defence and would hammer teams when they were trying to bring the ball out from there own goal line.

The enthusiasm and defending your line like your gonna die otherwise is not there anymore for our boys. I don't know how you reinstil that into the players but i agree with you I'm extremely pissed off with Souths when I watch them play. It's disgraceful because they're not playing to their full potential.

souths_reborn

Juniors
The alarm bells must be ringing thunderously at Sths at present!!

The Eels bombed about 4 tries & we basically scratched around for 80 mins. to come up with only one that you could barely accept as teamwork---& that was a late consolation try.
Crichton's was luck only & AJ's second a "hail Mary" effort which wasn't a try anyway!!

At present our roster is appearing second-rate but as a lot of players are on L-plates there is room for some optimism,I suppose!!
I'm not talking about the performance against Parramatta; I was referring to our season as a whole. Yes, I agree the performance against Parramatta was bad but against the top teams we have proven that we can be more than a match for them. In saying that, we need to be beating the likes of Parramatta and those other teams that don't have a lot of quality if we are going to stand a chance of making the 8.