What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spanish News

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I thought I'd make a thread dedicated for all news on Rugby League in Spain rather than a dozen threads on small bits and pieces.

The Asociación Española de Rugby League (AERL) hosted its first technical course over the weekend, with 24 new local coaches receiving their Level 1 certificate after the two-day course in Albal, Valencia. Six clubs were present - Irreductibles Mislata RL, RL Albal Valencian Warriors, Rugby Sciences Valencia, CR Edetans Montcada, Alzira Rugby Club, UER Montcada – in addition to a delegation from Madrid, to receive instruction from RLEF Coaching Manager Martin Crick and his fellow RLEF tutor, Spanish-speaking Tiziano Franchini (pictured) from the Federazione Italiana Rugby League.

The AERL hailed the “extraordinary work of Martin and Tiziano” and the “great atmosphere” created by the course among the nascent Spanish rugby league community. “Thanks to the RLEF the work that was carried out over these three days has been unforgettable for all of Spanish rugby league,” said AERL secretary general Aitor Davila.

Juan Pablo Range from Irreductibles Mislata RL said: "The work of the RLEF in Spain has been fantastic; the atmosphere was great, everyone is more engaged and eager to grow this project now. Today we all have clear concepts, there is no doubt, we all have more enthusiasm and love for rugby league."

Gonzalo Morro (Valencia Sciences) said: "Having professionals like Martin and Tiziano for the whole weekend was a luxury - today I feel like a great professional."

The AERL expects to run a five-match club championship this year.

http://www.rlef.eu.com/news/article/742/first-spanish-coaches-qualified

Nuke

Staff member
I can only go on the news I see on Facebook from the various Spanish Rugby League pages I'm part of or have 'Liked', but it all seems to be going very well there. It appears as though the right people with dedication and know-how are in control.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Rugby League hits Spain as new Championship kicks off
http://www.nospam18.com/images/resized/images/nations/argentina/espanarleague_200_200.jpg

By Phil Caplan, Date: 26/3/14
History was made on Sunday as the first Spanish rugby league championship kicked off with a match between Valencian Warriors and CRAC in Muro de Alcoy, Alicante.
Around 300 fans attended at the La Llometa stadium to see CRAC win 28-18 in the Campeonato Nacional de Rugby League.
Victorious coach Juan Cotes said, “This was a really hard-fought victory against a strong team. This competition will be very good and I think rugby league in Spain has a great future.”
His opposite number Javi Poveda was equally encouraged, “I think the game was electric,” he noted. “They worked very hard and have improved a lot since the last time we played in a friendly and it's just left for me to congratulate them. The AERL [Asociacion Espanol Rugby League] and RLEF are working well in the organisation of the championship in Spain. It will be very good to see more matches like this.”

http://www.nospam18.com/rugby-leagu...ague-hits-spain-as-new-championship-kicks-off

Last edited:

Bronco Rob

Juniors
2755.jpg

SPAIN RUGBY LEAGUE CONTINUE TO BUILD

17th May 2014
The AERL - Spanish Association of Rugby League - is working hard to promote the sport in the country, the national team – who face Belgium in their first-ever international on May 24th having taken delivery of the inaugural kit.

A five team competition already underway looks as though it will have a sixth side from Valencia in the near future and schools are set to start playing the sport in October
http://www.rlef.eu.com/news/article/787/spain-rugby-league-continue-to

stormbati

Bench
Awesome read. Gotta say though looks like a team of wingers there. Or soccer players lol.
Great to see Rugby League growing

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Bienvenido Latin Heat a nuestro foro!

The Spanish should look to organise friendlies with lower level French clubs. They are relatively close and many a club would love a little trip across the border.

Last edited:

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Spain set for emotional international rugby league debut

Por: Nicholas Rigg | 16 de mayo de 2014
Head coach Darren Fisher will struggle to contain his emotions when he takes charge of Spain’s historic international rugby league debut against Belgium next week.
Los XIII del Toro, as the Spanish national side are affectionally nicknamed, will travel to Brussels on Saturday, May 24 for their first-ever competitive match before welcoming their opponents to Valencia on Sunday, June 8 for the second game of the Nassau Trophy Test series.

The Englishman, who was appointed national head coach last November, has named a 20-man squad honoured with pulling on the famous red kit for the first time in an official Rugby League European Federation (RLEF) match and admits emotions will be running high when his side take to the pitch at the Centre Sportif de Neder-Over-Heembeek in the Belgian capital.
“It’s the first full Test for Spain and everybody is really excited,” he said. “We’re all looking forward to it, it’s a big thing for me, the players, the country and everybody involved with Spanish Rugby League Association (AERL).
“I’m trying to keep level-headed about it but I’ve got a beaming smile on my face; it’s going to be a great honour for me to take charge of Spain’s first official international match. Everyone is excited but we’re all a bit tense as well given the nature of the game. I’ve brought in a psychologist, Diego Ruano, to try and help but I have confidence in the squad of players I’ve selected and I’m sure we’ll be able to compete going on what I’ve seen in training.”
The 30-year-old, who also works on the coaching staff with English Super League club Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, watched his side take on the British Asian Rugby Association (BARA), coached by former London Broncos player Ikram Butt, in Valencia on Wednesday as preparation for their first international venture. Spain went down 40-16 but Fisher could take plenty of positives from seeing his men in competitive action for the first time.

Belgium, who sit 21st in the European Rankings, are set to offer a sterner test for his side but the former Barrow Raiders and Batley Bulldogs player says his men will not be making the trip to the Lowlands just to make up the numbers.
“I’m the type of coach who is positive and will be going to Belgium to win,” he confirmed. “I have that confidence from watching the players in training and seeing the passion they have for the game. They’re all ready for it, the training has been intense and they just want to get out on the pitch now.”
Fisher has been keen to build his squad around players based in Spain and not follow the route other blossoming rugby league nations have taken in bringing in players from the sport’s leading countries such as Australia, New Zealand and England who qualify to represent Spain through their family roots. He’s stuck to his beliefs. Seven players in his first squad come from Valencia’s Ciencias Rugby League club, with five hailing from Irreductibles Mislata RL (Valencia), three from Valencia Warriors RL, two from Valencia Warriors RL Alba and two from CR Alcoià-Comtat.
The only player to hail from outside of Iberia is Danny Garcia, who plays for Rylands Sharks RLFC in Warrington, England. The utility-back was born in Spain and Fisher told the player he has to come and play domestic rugby league in Spain to ensure his place in the national squad, something Garcia has complied with.
Fisher, who has been receiving advice from Wakefield and France head coach Richard Agar, has also been buoyed by the commitment of José Luis Conejero, who turned down the chance to represent Spain in rugby union, the more popular code of the game, to commit to Los XIII del Toro. “It’s a positive sign,” he confirmed. “We’ve made great strides forward here in promoting rugby league in such a short time and hopefully that will continue with these first international fixtures.”
Spain’s first captain for their international rugby league debut has yet to be confirmed. Fisher admits the choice will be a tough one, although it’s a welcome selection headache. “The passion and leadership qualities that all the players have shown in training has made it a really difficult task for me,” he admits. “I have a few names in mind but it might be a case of waiting until the morning of the Belgium match, it’s something I need to make sure I get right.”
The Englishman, who is improving his Spanish week-by-week and will be assisted by Spanish-speaking Matt Dulley, has also been contacted by Malta, ranked 14th in Europe, about a possible match. It’s a positive step and something he hopes could come to fruition in early 2015. “They want to give us a game but they have a few Super League and NRL (Australia) players and I don’t want us going up against that quality just yet,” he said. “It’s good that these teams are getting in touch though so hopefully it’s something we can arrange for early next year.”
All eyes will be on the double-header against Belgium first, however, and the match will give Spain, who unveiled their kit for the historic fixture at the City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia on Tuesday, their first chance to climb up the RLEF rankings. Saturday, May 24 will be marked in the history books for the Spanish Federation and a victory in Brussels would provide the icing on the cake.
Squad to face Belgium: Adrià Alonso, Aitor Dávila, Alejandro Gordon, Daniel Garcia, Daniel Ruiz, Ezequiel Perez-Fuster, Morro Gonzalo, Hadriel Gonzalez, Ivan Ordaz, Jovi Gomez, Juan Pablo Range, Luis Thorp, Matt Dulley, Paul Hickey, Richi Perello, Sebas Zuleta, Ximo Fraile and Sergio Linares.

Dakink

Bench
Would be interesting to see what the coach would say about having to play domestically if a big name nrl or esl player who was born in spain desired to reoresent them. Not that I dislike his stand, grow through domestic players will always tesult in a stronger more interested domestic scene.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I suppose there's no real point yet while they're un their infancy.
Once the domestic structure is at a decent standard, then you could think about external players.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Would be interesting to see what the coach would say about having to play domestically if a big name nrl or esl player who was born in spain desired to reoresent them. Not that I dislike his stand, grow through domestic players will always tesult in a stronger more interested domestic scene.
I doubt it would make any difference for a series against Belgium. If they were playing in a more important tournament like the European Championships or WCQ then it would definitely be worth looking at overseas players, but that is some way down the track. Right now it's just about laying down some foundations and it's great to see that Fisher and the rest of the Spanish setup seem to be realistic about what needs to happen.

28th May 2014
The AERL - Spanish Association of Rugby League – has announced the creation of a seventh club and the first in the capital, Griffons RL Madrid.

The side is the first to be run by the AERL delegation in the region, their plan being to form another two or three teams - including within the university sector - to rival the expanding Valencia-Alicante group in 2015.

Salome Sansano, AERL President, said: “Madrid has a great working group with people who love our sport and this is terrific news, they have been working hard in recent months to establish Griffons.”

Rodrigo Molina, AERL delegate in Madrid, added: “We have managed to advance one of our first goals. Now we aim to play the first game of rugby league in Madrid, to build a regional competition and get up the level of our players for selection to the Spanish national side.”

http://www.rlef.eu.com/news/article/803/first-rugby-league-club-established

2798.jpg

Dakink

Bench
Spain seems to be finally developing a domestic scene! Exciting times for the game in europe.

Latest posts