What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport Accord recognition

Its pretty vague when RL "began"...

1874 would have been when the RFU was founded, but Rugby was played well before that. That was just when the clubs came together to formalise the rules and enforce amateurism.

But 1895 isnt much better; the NRFU played under Union rules for their first decade, so hardly the "birth of RL".

The best you could probably say was that RL was founded in 1906; when NRFU dramatically changed to rules and basically made it impossible to remerge with the RFU.

Or you could go back to 1880 and suggest that Walter Camp's American Football innovation (that arguably inspired the NRFU to change their rules) was the birth of RL.

The point is, its not so clear cut to say "RL was founded in year XXXX"
Christ you talk crap. There isn't the slightest conjecture about RL beginning in 1895.​

langpark

First Grade
Yes

the worst case scenerio. Sports Accord rejects us because if the WRL

Do we have any grounds for appeal to a international court ?
I don't think WRL were ever taken seriously by anyone. The 'rivalry' issues clearly refer to League vs Union.

Actually would love to hear the argument from RU

Oh they left the Union in 1895
- but you left soccer federation in 1860s

But we changes the rules so we can pick up the ball
- so did Gaelic Football and AFL

No we dont kick it always we are allowed to run the ball
- you mean like Gridiron

Yes but we have different numbers of players
- but RL has two less players as well

But we play Rugby with 7s 15s and 11s
- Crickets also has a 6s comp so what

They also have scrums
- but they dont have lineouts

But they get tackled
- so do Gridiron players but they are only allowed 4 and RL is only allowed 6

But we have a WRL that runs our 13s game
- RLIF was established before the WRU
- in RL ran its World Cup before the Soccer WC

But they are a rebel group and use the word Rugby
- but Gridiron, RU and Soccer all call themselves Football

But they will pinch our players
- you mean like how AFL players go to Gridiron

But ...
But ...
But ...
As you say, the objections from union are pure farce...

Stallion

First Grade
Yes

the worst case scenerio. Sports Accord rejects us because if the WRL

Do we have any grounds for appeal to a international court ?

The treatment of rugby league in this arena is nothing short of disgraceful. Surely rugby league people in high positions are savvy enough to give this unfairness the shamefull publicity angle ? This sort of stuff is totally aimed to limit/ stop the growth of a sport in its own right. It is constrained by rules and regulations that basically limits its ability to breath!? Even if an investigative journalist was used to convey this ridiculous situation affecting rugby league, it would be a good read and promote an awareness to the general public. Atm this stuff is not known by the general public! It needs to be common knowledge and even to the level whereby Australian politicians should enter the discourse and lobby for fairness. The 'fair go' is not coming rugby league's way at all. Something needs to be done. Perhaps Steve Mascord might want pursue this further? It's certainly up his alley.

latingringo101

Juniors
It would be VERY unlikely that Rugby League would lose its membership. We've proven we're a sport in our own right and the hard part is over with our membership to Sports accord.

Union tried all it could to prove we weren't a sport but now that we are we have safe guarded our legal status and if future Union bodies try to claim werew simply a branch of union we can show them our Sports accord membership!

siv

First Grade
The other thing I find buzare is that only one sport actually moved from observer to full membership

These guys seem to be making up their process rules on the run

I know their role was to address Olympic sports

siv

First Grade
First key criteria for a winter sport other than no conflict is 25 active countries

I know we boast 71 but how many are actually active

I guess that leads to - what is the definition of active

Pommy

Coach
It would be VERY unlikely that Rugby League would lose its membership. We've proven we're a sport in our own right and the hard part is over with our membership to Sports accord.

Union tried all it could to prove we weren't a sport but now that we are we have safe guarded our legal status and if future Union bodies try to claim werew simply a branch of union we can show them our Sports accord membership!

But do we have membership as an observer? Has it been proven we are an independent sport or is that day yet to come?

adamkungl

Immortal
First key criteria for a winter sport other than no conflict is 25 active countries

I know we boast 71 but how many are actually active

I guess that leads to - what is the definition of active

We aren't a winter sport.
Winter sport in this sense basically means snow and ice sports.

taipan

Referee
So observer status for the GAISF means :valid for 2 years and renewable only once.How convenient for ru.
What it does mean for rl IMO,is further getting off our international a*ses and have at least a further 40-50% increase on number of countries involved with the game.
I'm starting to smell a rat beneath the veneer.

Stallion

First Grade
So observer status for the GAISF means :valid for 2 years and renewable only once.How convenient for ru.
What it does mean for rl IMO,is further getting off our international a*ses and have at least a further 40-50% increase on number of countries involved with the game.

Yes. These union dudes are pretty intent on limiting rugbyleague's growth / existence. They have been doing such for over century.

Stallion

First Grade
Good article about the global recognition of rugby league posted by Brad Walter! Wonder if its achieved newspaper status as it should? It's a significant step forward for rugby league and the article briefly mentions and summates the negative role of rugby union toward rugbyleague over a long time.

Last edited:

latingringo101

Juniors
I didn't see the 2 year membership, hopefully by then the other Sports members see we're legitimate in growing the game and Union don't interfere with our reapplication

deluded pom?

Coach
Why didn’t the RL people involved in the application point out that prior to RU becoming professional they actively stopped former RU players from returning after playing RL? Why would they do that if RL wasn’t a separate sport?

Stallion

First Grade
Why didn’t the RL people involved in the application point out that prior to RU becoming professional they actively stopped former RU players from returning after playing RL? Why would they do that if RL wasn’t a separate sport?

Poor leadership . And probably lack of paperwork evidence. Alot of this stuff was person to person warnings. And it still goes on in various parts of the world even after the public announcement of union going "professional."

deluded pom?

Coach
Poor leadership . And probably lack of paperwork evidence. Alot of this stuff was person to person warnings. And it still goes on in various parts of the world even after the public announcement of union going "professional."
Many ex union players who went north have told of their treatment in their autobiographies. I can’t ever recall any of them being sued for libel.

Stallion

First Grade
Many ex union players who went north have told of their treatment in their autobiographies. I can’t ever recall any of them being sued for libel.

So they mentioned the bad treatment ?! If so not many have read their autibiographies as the general public are not aware of what has been happening.

Pommy

Coach
So they mentioned the bad treatment ?! If so not many have read their autibiographies as the general public are not aware of what has been happening.

The general population don’t care, why would they? Most people reading union players autobiographies would probably be union fans themselves.