What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport and Training Practices

Thomas

First Grade
My training regime is a bit haphazard given my work requirements and so forth but this is basically what I am trying to maintain over the next few months

Monday: Cardio at lunch. 30 minute jog (fartlek training...basically interval sprints)
Tuesday: Cycle to work (17kms). Gym session at lunch (45mins basically medium weights with high reps and core strength exercises). Cycle home (17kms)
Wednesday: Cardio at lunch
Thursday: Gym session. Heavier weights this time.
Friday: Either cardio early in the morning or late afternoon
Saturday: Nothing
Sunday: Either nothing or walking to the park with my family and dog

I really should be looking at doing something meaningful on the weekend. Maybe a longer run...

Danish

Referee
I'm just starting up doing MMA training actually...

Well, for now I am just doing the fitness stuff my mate who is some MMA/Brazilian jujitsu instructor until he thinks I'm at a level that I can spar etc.

Either way its bloody tough.

Monday - 30 min run, 30 min light weights (back, shoulders, arms, chest)
Tuesday - 1 hour High intensity work out. Kicking, punching and defensive drills with burpies, spiderman crawls, skipping and sprints in-between.
Wednesday - 1 hour heavy weights session. Upper and lower body
Thursday - 30 min run
Friday - 1 hour Core work. Officially less intensive than tuesday's workout but this one kills me :lol:
Saturday - nothing major, either a 30 minute walk or a run if I am up to it.
Sunday - rest... although normally throw a walk in there.

Outside of the above I also do push ups and crunches each day. Starting simply with 10 push ups and 20 crunches when I wake up and when I go to bed, increasing by 5 push ups and 10 crunches each week. Only in week 2 at the moment so its 15 push ups and 30 crunches twice per day on top each exercise each day.

The ultimate goal is to drop about 15kg of fat, and but on about 5kg of muscle for the soccer season this year.

Johns Magic

Referee

Well, for now I am just doing the fitness stuff my mate who is some MMA/Brazilian jujitsu instructor until he thinks I'm at a level that I can spar etc.

Tuesday - 1 hour High intensity work out. Kicking, punching and defensive drills with burpies, spiderman crawls, skipping and sprints in-between.
Thursday - 30 min run
Friday - 1 hour Core work. Officially less intensive than tuesday's workout but this one kills me :lol:

Outside of the above I also do push ups and crunches each day. Starting simply with 10 push ups and 20 crunches when I wake up and when I go to bed, increasing by 5 push ups and 10 crunches each week. Only in week 2 at the moment so its 15 push ups and 30 crunches twice per day on top each exercise each day.

The ultimate goal is to drop about 15kg of fat, and but on about 5kg of muscle for the soccer season this year.

You should be trying to up the weight of your crunches(i.e. holding a dumbell to your chest) rather than the number. Lower reps with a heavier weight are better for getting big/strong abs, if that's what you're aiming for.

However if you've got a layer of fat over your gut then you'll struggle to get any visible definition at all.

Danish

Referee
I'll try that, thanks.

Given the current layer of fat its not going to make a lot of difference to their look, but my core strength is absolutely shocking so needs improvement. Its also sort of a mental thing just to keep my mind on the right track. Its been a while since I exercised properly (worst part of 5 years) so the small bit of work every morning and evening makes sure I'm in the right mindset for the day.

Snoochies

First Grade

Thursday - 30 min run

You should get the Bas Rutten workout CD's, great if you work out by yourself. They consist of :All round fighting, All round Workout, Boxing 2min rounds, boxing 3 min rounds, Thai boxing 2min rounds, Thai Boxing 3 min rounds. Have tried them and are excellent and is pretty popular in the MMA world. Where are you training at?

Danish

Referee
For the time being I'm just being personally trained by my mate and one of the other blokes from his gym or whatever an MMA place is called.

They both reckon I need to build up more fitness before being able to train with them properly so we are working on that for now.

adamkungl

Immortal
A female friend of mine is looking to lose some weight. How should she approach weight training? I've never trained for the purpose of weight loss before, and females and males usually have somewhat different goals with weight training, so I'm not entirely sure what advice to give her in regards to how much, how many reps, sets etc.

aqua_duck

Coach
Monday:weights
tuesday:eek:ztag
wednesday:weights
Thursday:BJJ training + 45 min endurance circuit
friday:weights
saturday:eek:ff
SUnday:touch football

JoeD

First Grade
Just got an app for my iphone called 321RunTouch. My wife has started on the "couch to 30 minute run program" I'm doing the 20min to 1 hour program. It basically talks to you while you're running so for the 'couch to 30min' program the first session is a combination of 60sec runs and 90second walks and it tells you when to run and when to walk over whatever music you're listening to.Its a free app, i'll let you know what i think in a few weeks.

I also have one called Cyclemeter that utilises the GPS to track where you go, how fast, etc. while on your bike. I've used it a few times and it seems to work well. You could also use it for walking/running. This one costs (i think it was $5.99)

Anybody have any other good exercise related apps?