What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports star feared drowned at Bethells

Dave Q

Coach
I think I speak on behalf of all of us who have been following the Sonny Fai tragedy closely when I thank Mr & Ms Jessbass for attending upon the beach, meeting with the Fai family and taking these very touching photographs.

I was waiting up and my patience has been rewarded.

The only way I can do justice to the photos is to offer my interpretation of each one, when I have a bit more time.

For tonight:-

As a general observation, there is a real touch of darkness and desolation surrounding this place. A lot of negative and hostile energy, only illuminated and made bearable by the presence of the Fai family and others.

The sand is grey and lifeless, the caves are jagged and tricky.

The surf is confused and tells numerous untruths on its way to the beach.

I will have to rug up when I look at them tomorrow.

Once again, indebted to Jesbass and ms.

Their efforts reflect well on LU, lifting us up to another and more refined level.

This is as close to Sonny as many of us will ever get to.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
^^ btw are most new zealanders beaches like Bethells?

brown sand, cold, rough surf?

No, it's really only typical lof the west coast. The black sand only occurs along part of the west coast, from taranaki up to north of Auckland, the rest of the country has white sand beaches. The rough surf is typical of the whole west coast due the prevailing winds, beaches on the east coast and in the Bay of Plenty are qa lot more tranquil.

ozbash

Referee
gee, you see photos like that and it confirms the reality and sadness of the whole thing.

Well done jess (and mrs jess)

Martli

Coach
No, it's really only typical lof the west coast. The black sand only occurs along part of the west coast, from taranaki up to north of Auckland

Kapiti Coast has similar looking sand. It's not quite as dark, but it's definitely not white.

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz//4822535a1823.html

Sonny Fai memorial service not until body found

A memorial service is unlikely to be held for missing New Zealand Warriors hero Sonny Fai until his body is found.

A land, sea and air search continued yesterday for the 20-year-old league star, swept out to sea at west Auckland's Bethells Beach a fortnight ago after saving his 13-year-old brother and four cousins from treacherous rips.

"Most of my extended family members have probably wanted to do a memorial service but I said no, (not) until we find his body," Sonny's sister Lalelei Fai told Sunday News.

"I believe he's going to turn up, it's a matter of patience and believing in your faith."

Lalelei, 28, said searchers included members of their Samoan community, plus Tongan and Maori communities.

"We've had Maori kaumatua out there blessing the land and praying," she said.

"I think one of the kaumatua have approached the council to push for a rahui, for the closing of the beach no fishing and swimming there until we find his body."

Lalelei supported that call.

Tributes and support were continuing to flow in from people profoundly touched by Sonny's act of selfless courage. Donations had been made from all avenues to help fund the search.

"I've had little girls give me cards with $20 inside out at Bethells," Lalelei said.

"We've hired divers and boats. I've been at the beach every day, and we're not going to give up until we find him."

Lalelei said family, including her parents, were still clinging to hope.

"I don't want to say he's dead," she said. "I'm preparing myself for the worst-case scenario. If he comes back alive I'll praise God, miracles do happen."

Lalelei was furious at the circulation earlier this week of hoax texts saying Sonny had been found alive.

She had returned from her daily search at Bethells to find the Fai family house at south Auckland packed with people hoping she had come with the news Sonny was being treated at Auckland hospital.

"I sat down and told everyone, no we're still looking for him," Lalelei said.

"Everyone just broke down and cried. They re-lived everything on that Sunday afternoon (of Sonny's disappearance), and it was so hurtful for people, for mum and dad."

Jesbass

First Grade
I think I speak on behalf of all of us who have been following the Sonny Fai tragedy closely when I thank Mr & Ms Jessbass for attending upon the beach, meeting with the Fai family and taking these very touching photographs.

I was waiting up and my patience has been rewarded.

The only way I can do justice to the photos is to offer my interpretation of each one, when I have a bit more time.

For tonight:-

As a general observation, there is a real touch of darkness and desolation surrounding this place. A lot of negative and hostile energy, only illuminated and made bearable by the presence of the Fai family and others.

The sand is grey and lifeless, the caves are jagged and tricky.

The surf is confused and tells numerous untruths on its way to the beach.

I will have to rug up when I look at them tomorrow.

Once again, indebted to Jesbass and ms.

Their efforts reflect well on LU, lifting us up to another and more refined level.

This is as close to Sonny as many of us will ever get to.

gee, you see photos like that and it confirms the reality and sadness of the whole thing.

Well done jess (and mrs jess)

Thanks, guys, but I really can't take any credit here. These people are family to me, in more ways than one, and it just makes sense to help out where possible. I'm certainly not the first Warriors fan to go down there, and I know I won't be the last. Others have done far more, traveled further, and stayed longer. All I really did was pass on messages and offer encouragement. (I don't say this in a negative tone - I found it an enriching experience, but I'm just stating facts.)

The ones who really need to be thanked are the Fai family themselves. They're incredibly accommodating, and willing to talk with all Warriors fans, even though it is the blood family that is hurting the most.

I have edited my first photo post to explain what happened while we were there.

Big Mick

Referee
Hey Dave,

Need to shoot you an e-mail tonight regarding what I plan to do this week re: our plan for Sonny.

I have a great idea at who could really help us!

Dave Q

Coach
Well done Jess & Big Mick.

Great story Jess, nice to know our sentiments were shared with the Fais

Jesbass

First Grade
Hey Dave,

Need to shoot you an e-mail tonight regarding what I plan to do this week re: our plan for Sonny.

I have a great idea at who could really help us!

Great stuff, Mick. Really looking forward to it. I've had a few brainstormed ideas, too. :thumn

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Jessbass i am glad you have met the Fai family. I have been fortunate enough to have met them on a couple of occasions before this tragedy, as i have good friends who are part of their extended family. They are a humble, warm and loving family.

Great to see that our LU rugby league community is coming up with ideas on how to help the family out, and also keep his spirit alive.

Dave Q

Coach
We cant give up on the Fai family.

I would go swimming there to honour Sonny, not to enjoy myself.

But only between the flags as the sea has already had its chance to drown me.

I dont know how long Sonny had before he realised there was no escape and his mind switched into a more ethereal and philosophic mode.

He would have thought about his family, his future, maybe said some prayers like me.

It sounds strange,but I thought what a fugging waste of time doing all that living and then dying like this.

Maybe he just stayed focused on survival, floatation and breathing etc.

And you have a choice to keep your eyes upon or closed, although its all pretty dark.

And as I said before, very lonely.

The photos capture that mood perfectly.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Kapiti Coast has similar looking sand. It's not quite as dark, but it's definitely not white.

Actually white is stretching it for a lot of the country I guess, the BoP beaches are more a light grey colour- but the sand along that stretch I mentioned is definitely a lot darker than the rest of the country.

Dave Q

Coach
Actually white is stretching it for a lot of the country I guess, the BoP beaches are more a light grey colour- but the sand along that stretch I mentioned is definitely a lot darker than the rest of the country.

darker and much more menancing.

JoeD

First Grade
darker and much more menancing.

i think this is going a bit overboard. In my view Bethels and all the west coast beaches are beautiful, natural places. Yes they can be dangerous, but so can crossing the road. They provide a lot of enjoyment for a lot of people.

Skinner

Coach
i think this is going a bit overboard. In my view Bethels and all the west coast beaches are beautiful, natural places. Yes they can be dangerous, but so can crossing the road. They provide a lot of enjoyment for a lot of people.

There is a lot of truth in that Joe - as long as you treat them with respect, they can be spectacular places.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Agreed, it's just a beach, it's not trying to "menace" anyone- nature's like that, you've just got to have a healthy respect for it. Mountains and glaciers are bloody dangerous places too, but they're still beautiful.

Dave Q

Coach
Yes lads, I agree there is beauty in menace, they are not mutually exclusive and I too enjoy the visual bounty of mother nature.

But in my opinion, from the pics, there is a hint of the dark underworld about the place.

Thats surf is definitely unfaithful.

boxa777

Coach
The roughness of that sea is quite clear on those pics.. sunset would have made things more harder and lonely..

really terrible 2 weeks on..

I really hope the family gets some closure.

Dave Q

Coach
The roughness of that sea is quite clear on those pics.. sunset would have made things more harder and lonely..

really terrible 2 weeks on..

I really hope the family gets some closure.

I suppose that the the long hours by the sea in all kinds of weather along with the companionship of family and intermittant support of many friends, interested parties and media are also a way in themselves of coping with the grief.

I think of it as a long ceremony, with no certainty of an end and therefore, no imminent date for the emotional release of the mourners.

Some prefer to deal with loss in more prompt manner, but Ive thought about it and what we are really seeing is a snapshot of a more prolonged grieving. His family and close friends will never actually make a full recovery and IMO its not for us to suggest they do or tell them to leave the beach.

You see death ceremonies are really for the living.

I suppose one day they will have to return to a more regular life and Im no expert but it wouldnt surprise me if they took some sand and water home as a direct link to that place. Like taking Sonny home I suppose.

There must be other accompanying rituals they will engage.

The grief continues and personally, until the family are OK, Im up for the journey ( albeit on-line) a few steps behind them, but part of the procession nonetheless.

Scorpio30

Bench
Just saw the replay of the Tigers v Warriors that was played in Balmain last June....was sad seeing Sonny Fai running around.