What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spots Available

Datramp

Juniors
Give it up. Nobody has said these two were starting players. Latimore might prove you wrong though. Remember Vaughn?

I actually think Latimore is underrated. I also think that with Vaughn, Frizell, Sims, Graham there he can learn some running/footwork and become even better. He is a handy pickup and at least at the moment a better than Sele

Drag Queen

Bench
I don't get this signing, we have young backrowers and even though he looked OK in the video it was U20s and he was not much better than many others. I would love to know what the thinking is behind his signing and what the plan is for him.

When I look at the roster and the contract end date of players it just doesn't seem right unless we have some specific players targeted for recruitment for next year. It would also seem to indicate that there are a number of players in the squad who are filling spots pending new signings and wont be around past this year.

Personally I still cannot understand how we have used all the cap unless we have front ended contracts. Which if we are looking to complete the signings next year may be the case.
They came cheap. Nicholls had a stand out year, albeit with the Panther's feeder team.

Drag Queen

Bench
1stly why did we need another young back rower does that infer what we have won’t make it?
2ndly The Mc Crone philosophy is still at our club. Remember the coach said he was a 100 game plus NRL veteran so is a must pick player.
Ask the recruitment team. He had a stellar year in ISP much like Vaughn before him.

Payne and the Clune brothers have not been offered anything by the club since Illawarra has been made redundant by the Dragons going it alone in the ISP.

Nisbet has been added as a part time player and he may not be the last with Millward looking to see how certain players develop from the new under 20's format advancing players into the ISP next year.

You will see an influx of players within the Illawarra and group 7 next year from NYC teams with players to old to play in the new format and not signed to other ISP teams.

possm

Coach
I don't get this signing, we have young backrowers and even though he looked OK in the video it was U20s and he was not much better than many others. I would love to know what the thinking is behind his signing and what the plan is for him.

When I look at the roster and the contract end date of players it just doesn't seem right unless we have some specific players targeted for recruitment for next year. It would also seem to indicate that there are a number of players in the squad who are filling spots pending new signings and wont be around past this year.

Personally I still cannot understand how we have used all the cap unless we have front ended contracts. Which if we are looking to complete the signings next year may be the case.
I've always believed that salary cap and TPA information should be made public by the NRL. Only then would we have answers to most of the questions asked about this subject.

JDHD

Juniors
1stly why did we need another young back rower does that infer what we have won’t make it?
2ndly The Mc Crone philosophy is still at our club. Remember the coach said he was a 100 game plus NRL veteran so is a must pick player.

Maybe (and this is a big maybe) the club had a look at how busted Frizell and DeBelin were at the end of last year and thought 'holy crap, maybe we should look at trying to bulk our forward depth so we can actually rest some of our rep players'

Massive maybe, I know, suggesting that they would learn from their issues, of course

Reactions: jak

New Dragon

Juniors
Jackson Ford, development player or not development player? I only ever hear of Sailor and Marsters as the two.

watatank

Coach
Maybe (and this is a big maybe) the club had a look at how busted Frizell and DeBelin were at the end of last year and thought 'holy crap, maybe we should look at trying to bulk our forward depth so we can actually rest some of our rep players'

Massive maybe, I know, suggesting that they would learn from their issues, of course

Even if was true, don't you think we would have signed someone with first grade experience? By the way, the club hasn't actually announced this.

If our reserve grade team wasn't also called the same thing as first grade, we'd basically be talking about a 'Cutters signing'.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ford signs Dragons development deal
Thu 30th November, 08:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra have announced that 2017 Under-20s Player of the Year Jackson Ford has signed a three-year contract with the Dragons.

Ford will become a full-time development player for the 2018 and 2019 seasons, and has been training with the first grade squad since the start of the pre-season.

The Gerringong Lions junior has also been guaranteed a place in the Dragons' Top 30 for the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Ford's signing means the Dragons have fulfilled the minimum quota allocated for development players ahead of the 2018 season.

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward was excited by the 19-year-old back-rower's potential.

"Jackson is a real project for us. He was selected in our Under-20s this season and while he is raw, he developed extremely well throughout the year," Millward said.

"The plan is to prepare him for the 2020 season; we'll get him bigger and stronger and hopefully more skilful. Jackson has a great attitude and his work rate is absolutely phenomenal."

Millward added that the Dragons will be cautious in regards to the remaining development player spots within the squad, with Ford joining fellow Under-20s players Tristan Sailor and Steven Marsters in the full-time squad.

"Obviously everyone knows that in the NRL you have to have your Top 30 but then you're allowed a minimum of three development players and maximum of six who will be full-time within the top squad," Millward said.

"We do a lot of work on succession plans at the club and our three current development players are really good investments for our club moving forward.

"In saying that, we have to be very careful not to lock in the maximum amount of development players for the next two years because that could block a potential pathway for others."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/30/ford_signs_dragons_d.html

New Dragon

Juniors
Well done Jackson he is a good kid. I think now after listening to Millward we will start to see a couple of these remaining prominent 20's players look for opportunity at other clubs or seek a release.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Congrats Jackson Ford.

I do think there will be 1 more added to the D squad more probably during the 2018 season. My guess would be either Lovodua or Willis.

Millward has done a good job with managing this aspect IMO.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Congrats Jackson Ford.

I do think there will be 1 more added to the D squad more probably during the 2018 season. My guess would be either Lovodua or Willis.

Millward has done a good job with managing this aspect IMO.

Dragonslayer
Agree but I think they may only add one that being out 4 players
The 2 you have suggested and
hayden lomax and gillard.
They are also looking at a couple of kids coming though the under 18s.
But as you say during the year.
It great that there is competition

True_Believer

Juniors
I agree CC. In Millward we trust.

Bulls$%t!!! You know the Millwards and the Youngs are in collusion in an attempt to take over the club and run it into the ground!!! It's a known . .....*sarcasm*

Seriously though, although the previous 2 recruitment managers may have done some good things here (and both were very experienced), I'm more confident that Millward has a structured plan moving forward. He seems focussed on identifying and retaining quality youth as well as surrounding them with a balance of experience and quality in senior members.

It really comes down now to the coaching staff being able to manage this balance properly while at the same time guiding the progress of the youngsters adequately.