What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squats

Iafeta

Referee
How low does everyone go with their squats? I'm not sure why but lately I haven't been able to get lower than above my knees. I'm limbering up a lot to get the muscles flexible too. Used to be able to get near the ground, so I'm restarting on super light weights and just trying to get as low as I can.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I tend to go quads parallel to the ground or about 15° below.

I tried the old 'ass to grass' recently but I twinged my knee, both of which are pretty screwed so they don't particularly like it when I go low.

I also only do front squats as they put less pressure on my knees, too.

So yeah I find that slightly below parallel is perfect for me and hits my quads plenty. But everyone's body is different and that applies to squats more than any other exercise.

shaggs

Coach
Front squats are a better exercise for quads.
Back squats are for your posterior chain.
You should be warming and activating your glutes before back squats.

The whole don't squat low to save your knees is a phallacy. There is less tension on your quadriceps and patella tendons on a low squat.

If you can't squat low, it's your hips that are the issue.
Are your hip flexors tight? Are you pushing your knees apart to keep your glutes activated?,
Check your feet position. Slightly wider than hip width. Slightly pointed out. Will allow a deeper squat because the hips won't impinge.

I use to be able to front squat the same as my back squat. Using a proper front rack, not crossed arms. But I have fixed the immobility and non activity of my glutes. Now the back squat has gone up again.

In the end, it's what works for you. If it was me, I would rip the plates off the bar and start again.
Activate your glutes with some x-walks and glute bridge holds. Mobilise with a lacrosse ball. Check your position and do 5 sets of 5. Each session, add 5kg to each side. Do squats 3 times a week.

Tommy Smith

Referee
After doing some research you're right, squatting deep doesn't have any adverse effects.

For me personally I have an existing meniscus tear so my knees are not fond of deep flexion. Hence the front squats which I find places less compressive stress on my hagged knees.

Anyway I don't want to hijack the thread. I'm no expert but I think it all depends on what your goals are.

Squatting deep is great for your long term flexibility, and what shaggs said sounds like a good idea to start afresh and redevelop your ability to squat low.

Last edited:

shaggs

Coach
For me I thought I was flexible. My muscles were long. But they weren't mobile. Got everything sliding where it should now and it's made a huge difference

Functional mobility is king

Iafeta

Referee
Yep I'm back doing it three times a week now. I noticed on my last couple of sets some improvements- feet position I narrowed up to just outside shoulder width. I thought to get A to G I needed a wide berth so to speak but not so as it seems with the narrower foot position.

The bridges are a good idea. My warm ups after a small dose of cardio were various high kicks, knee raises and leg swings.

The front squats - I do kettle bell goblet squats and I can get deep on them. It's really just back squats where I had an issue.

Aims from squats - obviously grow my quads but I'm getting to that age now where if I play on the ground with my nephews I struggle to get off the ground as my knees ache so really I want more strength around that. I've had bad knees from 20 years of cricket bowling and want to overcome that.

shaggs

Coach
The leg swings and high kicks aren't a bad choice. They certainly get the blood flowing and muscles warm.
Google some activation exercises for the glutes and give them a try. Also google some trigger point stuff for your glutes.
I guarantee once you try that you will never warm up any other way.

As a former bowler I suspect you are also limited in your upper thoracic mobility. Foam roller is good to start at.

Remember to grip the bar and bring your elbows forward. Don't let them just hang. Your arm position will affect your posture and therefore strength/mobility

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
When I'm training I go to just below parallel, not quite full ass to grass though. Anything less is cheating and short changing yourself.

Unfortunately for me I'm severely limited right now as I had rotator cuff surgery earlier in the week so I've got a few months of rehab head of my before I'm back to full activity levels. At the moment I'm sitting at home enjoying the effects of endone :p

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I've found the 5x5 Stronglifts method to be pretty good for developing your squat. They're full squats but you start off really light so it gives you the opportunity to nail the technique and build flexibility. It can be a bit of a pride hit going so light to begin with but you go up in 2.5kg increments 3 times a week, so you build that strength up pretty quickly.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I've found the 5x5 Stronglifts method to be pretty good for developing your squat. They're full squats but you start off really light so it gives you the opportunity to nail the technique and build flexibility. It can be a bit of a pride hit going so light to begin with but you go up in 2.5kg increments 3 times a week, so you build that strength up pretty quickly.

Starting Strength follows pretty much the same principles. It's all about form and depth, you get the movement right BEFORE you try to go heavy.

Smack

Coach
Stretch before you squat. Form is key, prac with the barbell and no weights until you get it right. If you can, have somebody watch or record you and you can see if you are making mistakes.

Qtr squats are pointless tbh, you need to full squat.