What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George illawarra dragons preview 2018

ouryear

Juniors
Love the club and have followed St. George for 51 years.
I have never put crap on the "Team" but please stop being so self righteous.
The appointment of McGregor as head coach was an act of incompetence and nepotism.
As fans, we deserve better. If you are a real fan, you should feel the same way.
Are you happy with the way McGregor has coached the FG team since he started?
Are you happy with the way he fronts up to the press? Excuses, and rationalization - never taking responsibility for anything.
Are you happy that the Club deems it necessary to surround him with advisors and consultants in the hope that his fortunes as a coach may turn around?
So it's not a matter of supporting another team. Many of us on here are die hard St. George supporters.
It's a matter of the Club showing some respect for its fan base. It's a simple concept that our Club has forgotten.
These are the same fans that turn up to games, pay for their annual membership, continue to buy club merchandise AND on game day, sit on the edge of their seats with their hearts pounding in their chest watching every second of the game.
So by all means let's be positive but with some objectivity and perspective thrown in.
Exactly, great post.
Sack Mary now! !

Crush

Coach
No circles, straight line.
Sack Mary now! !
There is absolutely no way in hell they are going to sack mary now. You can scream it into the wind all day long if it makes you feel better but he is our coach, like it or not.
Cmon ouryear its our year!

ouryear

Juniors
There is absolutely no way in hell they are going to sack mary now. You can scream it into the wind all day long if it makes you feel better but he is our coach, like it or not.
Cmon ouryear its our year!

I agree, of course they won't.
But geeze, if I hear Mary say things like:

A. If the field was 2 mts shorter we would have won today.
B. They scored 3 tries from kicks today, we scored none.
C. That's Dragons footy.

And if he plays 17 instead of 18.....

The guy is a tool, talks like an under 10s coach.

Dumb, illiterate, uninspiring.

How does a great club end up with a tool as our coach.

Crush

Coach
I agree, of course they won't.
But geeze, if I hear Mary say things like:

A. If the field was 2 mts shorter we would have won today.
B. They scored 3 tries from kicks today, we scored none.
C. That's Dragons footy.

And if he plays 17 instead of 18.....

The guy is a tool, talks like an under 10s coach.

Dumb, illiterate, uninspiring.

How does a great club end up with a tool as our coach.
He's a muppet. A stubborn muppet.
The one thing he seems to be good at though is creating a good environment for the players. They all seem happy and positive. Unlike at panthers where they are all unhappy and not re-signing contracts.
The players speak highly of Mary to his credit. Its just a shame he is an over conservative coach out of his depth.

ouryear

Juniors
The one thing he seems to be good at though is creating a good environment for the players. They all seem happy and positive. Unlike at panthers where they are all unhappy and not re-signing contracts.
The players speak highly of Mary to his credit. Its just a shame he is an over conservative coach out of his depth.
Pretty amazing that a very unhappy team in the chocolate soldiers from Penrith can still finish in front of us.

What that means or says about us,
I am unsure....

Crush

Coach
Pretty amazing that a very unhappy team in the chocolate soldiers from Penrith can still finish in front of us.

What that means or says about us,
I am unsure....
I'm feeling positive that we can have a good year. I am that idiot that thinks one or two players will make the difference. Hunt will be a game changer!

hazzbeen

Bench
Yep he does great environment everyone is happy because no one gets dropped for bad performances . So as long as the players are happy and Mary continues his merry way who cares if we don't figure in the play offs again . Mate I hope Mary and the team blow the opposition off the park this year , gee this has to be his last chance , right ?

Last edited:

OzDragon

Coach
Dunno if anyone has read the recent big league issue,

but in the season prediction (spoiler if you haven’t read it) Voss has us coming 12th with Raiders 11th and Knights 13th.

With our current crop, anything other than top 6 should be considered a massive dissapointment.

Hunt, provided he stays fit will make a massive difference in attack.

Opposition will no longer solely focus on Widdop.

With Dufty adopting a roaming role, we will score plenty of points even with current centres and wingers.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Yep he does great environment everyone is happy because no one gets dropped for bad performances . So as long as the players are happy and Mary continues him merry way who cares if we don't figure in the play offs again . Mate I hope Mary and the team blow the opposition off the park this year , gee this has to be his last chance , right ?

Agree hazz
This is his last chance.
I hope he proves me wrong and we go deep into the finals.
We will see.
We have so much talent coming though the grades.
Recruitment have done well.
But to me this year is pivotal.
We need to be heading to the top six.
If we do thats a start.
He hoping.

TruSaint

Referee
I am entering this season with sceptical optimism...

Last 4 seasons or so have taken their toll ... We have some good signings, but we also had a decent squad years past. Hunt is a great player.. Game plan and coaching are key here, thus my scepticism.

Crush

Coach
Yep he does great environment everyone is happy because no one gets dropped for bad performances . So as long as the players are happy and Mary continues his merry way who cares if we don't figure in the play offs again . Mate I hope Mary and the team blow the opposition off the park this year , gee this has to be his last chance , right ?
Hazz, its top 8 or he is gone. I have heard it from a good source.
From a fans point of view though we don't want to just make up the numbers we want to be dangerous. It is hard to see though. I watched Storm last night. Their two wingers are lightyears ahead of our backs. They create tries from nothing.
Dragons do not have the team to match it in the crunch games with storm at the moment. We will need a complete new set from of backs 2-5.

Old Timer

Coach
Hazz, its top 8 or he is gone. I have heard it from a good source.
From a fans point of view though we don't want to just make up the numbers we want to be dangerous. It is hard to see though. I watched Storm last night. Their two wingers are lightyears ahead of our backs. They create tries from nothing.
Dragons do not have the team to match it in the crunch games with storm at the moment. We will need a complete new set from of backs 2-5.
Why such a low bar of top 8?
Improve 1 lousy spot and you keep your job is ridiculous why not throw in an extension and pay rise?

Crush

Coach
Why such a low bar of top 8?
Improve 1 lousy spot and you keep your job is ridiculous why not throw in an extension and pay rise?
I think top 8 and he keeps his job for another year. Miss the 8 and curtains. Top 4 and another contact coming his way.

Old Timer

Coach
I think top 8 and he keeps his job for another year. Miss the 8 and curtains. Top 4 and another contact coming his way.
So as I said improve 1 spot and all good in your eyes
Talk about mediocre results being acceptable
In reality 50% on the ladder is the new pass mark.
We have become so lame that any improvement no matter how minute is grasped by desperate fans as a miracle and sainthood given to the saviour.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

I would say you are correct.
But let hope they wait till the end of the season and not before.
I would say imo top 6 finish and deep into the semis.

The Damo

Juniors
We have become so lame that any improvement no matter how minute is grasped by desperate fans as a miracle and sainthood given to the saviour.
He didn’t say all good in his eyes. He said that’s what he thinks will happen. He just called him a stubborn muppet above. Sometimes you jump and overreact OT.

Crush

Coach
I'm not saying how I feel merely what I think the Dragons will do with McGregor. That is all.