What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George illawarra dragons preview 2018

Frank Facer

First Grade
That foresight should have come from the morons who appointed his successor and associated football department. What happened once he left was neither Bennett’s problem nor his fault.
Bennett did recommend Price to be his successor.

gitano

Juniors
For god's sake wake up to yourself.
Bennett should have been signed for 5 years with an option our way but that didn't happen.
We were competitive in 2011 his last year but then everyone found out the coach was going and Price was coming and that some players were being let go.
Morale went downhill because of what we failed to do initially and then what we did subsequently, so how is any of that Bennett's fault?
By the way I don't like the bloke but he did achieve exactly what he was supposed to do unlike what has followed him or was their immediately before him.
Blame the right people for our continual failure.
I see you've missed the point.

Coaches like Brown put their neck on the line by building squads with a goal of long term success.

Coaches like Bennett take the glory without really putting back.

Not saying he's anything but a great coach, but he had a fair side.

grouch

First Grade
He bought us a title. Then everyone left.

He undone so much of what Browny had built in an instant. Yes we won a comp but with foresight could have been competitive in the years following.
Everyone didn't leave - he did. But yeah...

If you don't like premierships I feel bad for you son. Browny's got 99 problems but a title aint one

Old Timer

Coach
I see you've missed the point.

Coaches like Brown put their neck on the line by building squads with a goal of long term success.

Coaches like Bennett take the glory without really putting back.

Not saying he's anything but a great coach, but he had a fair side.
He won the comp Brown didn't simple as that.
Good players can be enticed by good coaches and that was the case whilst we had Bennett.
Brown at that time was never going to be able to attract the players that came because of Bennett and only now (9 years later) is Brown starting to get that aura with quality players.
Bennett was the right man for the job because for once in their life the management could see that we were grossly under achieving and the fans were highly agitated.
The trouble is the club thought that 1 off success was going to be enough to keep us quiet for 20 more years and they got that wrong.
Re Bennett not putting back very hard to do that when you only have a 3 year term and the goal was "must win a premiership" so he was hired as a mercenary and proved to be an excellent one.
If the club wanted him to put back as you put it then we f**ked it up with the short tenure.
So as you can see I'm not missing any point I'm merely expressing the facts of the situation.

gitano

Juniors
He won the comp Brown didn't simple as that.
Good players can be enticed by good coaches and that was the case whilst we had Bennett.
Brown at that time was never going to be able to attract the players that came because of Bennett and only now (9 years later) is Brown starting to get that aura with quality players.
Bennett was the right man for the job because for once in their life the management could see that we were grossly under achieving and the fans were highly agitated.
The trouble is the club thought that 1 off success was going to be enough to keep us quiet for 20 more years and they got that wrong.
Re Bennett not putting back very hard to do that when you only have a 3 year term and the goal was "must win a premiership" so he was hired as a mercenary and proved to be an excellent one.
If the club wanted him to put back as you put it then we f**ked it up with the short tenure.
So as you can see I'm not missing any point I'm merely expressing the facts of the situation.
Don't argue footy with me son.

Belta

Juniors
I think it's a hard to argue with both points, neither are right or wrong with the Bennett debate.

Bennett done good, but he did have the cattle. Yes he brought some good pedigree with him but most were here. There was a big void after he left just like there was after his unsuccessful stint with the Knights.

I personally don't buy into thebelief that if Bennett walked through the door the Dragons win the Grand Final. I just don't see it that way, we don't have the best coach true, and I like the direction we are going but I'm not convinced we have the best team either. Hopefully one day soon we will

possm

Coach
Bennett left us in a worse state than he found us. Good coach but the foresight of a pair of aldi binoculars.
If Bennett was given the 5 year deal he asked for, he would have planned his roserter accordingly. As it turned out he was given a 3 year term and arranged his roster for short term success.

possm

Coach
Might take us a while to get going this year,with the halves.
Would like to see us win 1 of the first two games against the sharks and broncos.
Big things are usually expected by most of us but have been let down many times before.
As for Wayne Bennett look at the Knights after he left them .
Why would you only like to see us win 1 of the first two games. Surely most fans would like us to win every game in 2018.

Old Timer

Coach
Don't argue footy with me son.
Probably your most astute post ever.
As you know SFA about the subject matter, it is indeed pointless to argue with you.
For the record as you were a 1 time player (in your own lunch time) best you go and get a brain scan because you are obviously having serious issues.
Last but not least re your implied superior position in your post, go f**k yourself

hazzbeen

Bench
Probably your most astute post ever.
As you know SFA about the subject matter, it is indeed pointless to argue with you.
For the record as you were a 1 time player (in your own lunch time) best you go and get a brain scan because you are obviously having serious issues.
Last but not least re your implied superior position in your post, go f**k yourself
Oldtimer don't , your killing me . I've just had a hernia op can't stop laughing ......

possm

Coach
Be that as it may they didn't have to follow the recommendation.
Depends on which really came first.

Doust - 'We're going to give Price the job, will you publically recommend him?'
Bennett - 'I can do that for you but are you sure you want to run with Price?'

Frank Facer

First Grade
Be that as it may they didn't have to follow the recommendation.
I agree we didn't have to follow Bennett's recommendation that Price take over. Personally I was in favor of us signing Maguire, who was coaching in England at the time, to take over from Bennett. I wanted us to have an experienced coach to take over from Bennett.

I believe one of the reasons that they took Bennett's recommendation, was because Price had overseen Bennett and the idea was for Price to continue to follow Bennett's style/game plans etc.

Bennett also recommended that Ivan Henjak take over from him at Brisbane when he left to coach us. That turned out to be another poor recommendation.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I agree we didn't have to follow Bennett's recommendation that Price take over. Personally I was in favor of us signing Maguire, who was coaching in England at the time, to take over from Bennett. I wanted us to have an experienced coach to take over from Bennett.

I believe one of the reasons that they took Bennett's recommendation, was because Price had overseen Bennett and the idea was for Price to continue to follow Bennett's style/game plans etc.

Bennett also recommended that Ivan Henjak take over from him at Brisbane when he left to coach us. That turned out to be another poor recommendation.

Price was highly regarded by the club at the time. Even if Bennett had said he was useless, there was a good chance Price would still have been made coach. Bennett just told the board what they wanted to hear.