What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starc out with a stress fracture in his foot

JJ

Immortal
Cummins hasn't played 1st class cricket, surely you can't expect him to play a test in India? TBH, I wouldn't risk Cummins or Pattinson - Bird can do the job, just take another line and length guy

8Ball

First Grade
I'd go Cummins. Most likely to run through a side and win us a test match. X-Factor we need without Starc in my opinion.

Bazal

Post Whore
Its a pace bowler. You run down and bang it in. Simple stuff and we need a genuine quick.

And if your body is slightly off from a long flight, a little jet lag, adjusting to the climate, whatever, a genuine quick becomes a 130km/h trundler with no swing. Bowling is just about as far from "simple stuff" as it gets.

Much better to use the bloke who has been running in in those conditions for a month.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Cummins just got 8 wickets for the Blues in a Shield game but it was his first 4 day game in years, surely he is not yet ready and the acclimatisation thing is pretty big too.

Under those conditions you cant just be in India for a couple of days and play your first test match in 5 years, I really dont think his body would be up for it.

Bird is the word.

Eelectrica

Referee
Cummins named to replace Starc.
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/pat-...australia-tour-of-india-highlights/2017-03-11

I hope they're not planning on having him jump straight off the plane and into the test bowling attack. Bird has to come into third test team in place of Starc, Khawaja in for Mitch Marsh.
If we lose, so be it, as long as we give our best shot.

Cummins should only be used in the forth test if something happens to Hazlewood or Bird with injury.
Gotta think long term with Cummins, want him fit and firing years done the track.

JJ

Immortal
Really hope they don't ruin - Bird doesn't look like much but has been bloody good every test he's played

Bazal

Post Whore
Really good selection after a really poor one. These blokes have bipolar!

Anyway hopefully Bird plays next test, with the potential of Cummins in the fourth of required

Red Bear

Referee
Chad Sayers has every right to be disappointed. I think Cummins is a very impressive bowler but he is only just back to shield cricket. If he breaks down again there will be hell to pay

Bazal

Post Whore
Chad Sayers has every right to be disappointed. I think Cummins is a very impressive bowler but he is only just back to shield cricket. If he breaks down again there will be hell to pay

Sayers is an old fashioned swing bowler. The ball doesn't really swing traditionally in India and he's not known as a reverse swing bowler either.

Plus he had a duck egg in the last shield game, would have counted against him. If anyone can consider themselves a bit unlucky it's probably Behrendorff, but he's also a swing bowler...in fact he's not much different to Bird except that he's a lefty.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Bad news for Starc.

But our bowlers have not been the issue.

I would be going Cummins, Bird and Patto are similar to Haze, Cummins is express.

TheFrog

Coach
Good for Cummins to be going to India, but a pity in a way. He was the best chance NSW had of grabbing the Shield off those Victorians.