What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting the NRL season in the UK/Europe

jim_57

Staff member
Just floating the idea, but would it be an option to open the NRL season in UK or Europe featuring 2 clubs involved in the WCS?

I am a big believer that RL clubs should be seriously looking at growing their brands Internationally. As far as NRL goes UK is the second biggest RL market but would be out of reach once the season starts, but it would be possible to have the WCS teams stay a week and play the season opener? perhaps as a double header with local clubs?

Obviously it would have to be shopped around and proved viable, but it could be a success IMO, especially if the NRL get behind it and put out some big promotion.

Starting somewhere "safer" like London or Manchester might be best to start then if the concept works look to interested hosts all around the UK & Europe.

Thoughts? Would you as a fan be more likely to travel for a rare chance to see your club play for the WCC and competition points in Europe?

jim_57

Staff member
Why not Singapore? Hong Kong?

If clubs wanted to do that they could do it at any point during the season. The idea of this would be that 2 clubs are already in the UK and it would be unreachable due to distance once the season starts.

Barkley

Bench
I started reading this thread and I was prepared to throw my wittiest comment in. But I actually don't hate the idea.

The biggest flaw would be flying back and backing up for round 2.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am honestly surprised Souths in particular haven't thought of this. Given the English player connection and their profile as the most well known club in UK I would have thought their business people would have identified an opportunity to play a WCC game against say Wigan then host one of the other WCC teams in the first game of the season at Wigan, sold a two game membership UK membership. I guess the travel back and readjustment before Rd2 game is a prohibitor, but given Souths ability to think outside the box and maximise fan revenue don't count it out.

jim_57

Staff member
I started reading this thread and I was prepared to throw my wittiest comment in. But I actually don't hate the idea.

The biggest flaw would be flying back and backing up for round 2.

I would suggest playing it a week before all the other teams start, so effectively giving both teams 2 weeks to recover from the trip back.

jim_57

Staff member
I am honestly surprised Souths in particular haven't thought of this. Given the English player connection and their profile as the most well known club in UK I would have thought their business people would have identified an opportunity to play a WCC game against say Wigan then host one of the other WCC teams in the first game of the season at Wigan, sold a two game membership UK membership. I guess the travel back and readjustment before Rd2 game is a prohibitor, but given Souths ability to think outside the box and maximise fan revenue don't count it out.

Exactly, gives clubs a new market to promote themselves to and can only help the NRL and each club's profile. I'm sure if they shopped it around they'd find some interest, but whether it would be enough to make it worth while is the only question mark.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
That's not the worst idea I've ever read. I'd reckon that you would get a bumper crowd for the game.

My question: what would clubs deem more important the WCC or the 2 competition points?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Jesus.

How many clubs come back from the WCC flat as a tack? All that I can think of.

Now you want to extend that stay in England by another 2 to 3 weeks?

Great idea. As long as my team have nothing to do with it ever, and get to play the teams that do in rounds 2 and 3.

Then you have a winner!

jim_57

Staff member
Jesus.

How many clubs come back from the WCC flat as a tack? All that I can think of.

Now you want to extend that stay in England by another 2 to 3 weeks?

Great idea. As long as my team have nothing to do with it ever, and get to play the teams that do in rounds 2 and 3.

Then you have a winner!

Do they actually? I think this is a bit of a myth to be honest. I seem to recall my team the Cowboys started reasonably well last season. The Origin peroid is a much bugger disruption to a successful clubs season.

And it would only be an extra week give or take a few days, not 2-3 weeks.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Do they actually? I think this is a bit of a myth to be honest. I seem to recall my team the Cowboys started reasonably well last season. The Origin peroid is a much bugger disruption to a successful clubs season.

And it would only be an extra week give or take a few days, not 2-3 weeks.

It will never happen.

No club will want to do it.

If I was coaching a team I would be filthy if my team was forced to.

Regardless of your theoretical timeline, as I said before - dibs on playing the 2 teams in the first month back from the UK.

The flatness seems to hit around weeks 2 or 3 usually.

jim_57

Staff member
It will never happen.

No club will want to do it.

If I was coaching a team I would be filthy if my team was forced to.

Regardless of your theoretical timeline, as I said before - dibs on playing the 2 teams in the first month back from the UK.

The flatness seems to hit around weeks 2 or 3 usually.

Just like no NFL club would want to play in London or MLB club in Sydney or AFL club in China? Clubs of all sports playing games internationally is becoming more and more common. Hardly a massive ask in this day and age, athletes from all sports do it regularly.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Just like no NFL club would want to play in London or MLB club in Sydney or AFL club in China? Clubs of all sports playing games internationally is becoming more and more common. Hardly a massive ask in this day and age, athletes from all sports do it regularly.

At what point did I say not to play games internationally?

I said it will never work playing an NRL regular season round in the UK.

Using the example of an NFL team playing in London is a bit disenenuous. The flight time is about 8 hours compared to 24 hours plus.

And without caring to look, I am reasonably certain none ofnthe games you have mentioned were anything but exibition games?

Edit : I notice the AFL game in China was a regular season game, so I stand corrected there. I still think a flight taking over a day one way to the other side of the world is a bridge too far.

Not having a go at you personally, mate. Just don't see it.

jim_57

Staff member
At what point did I say not to play games internationally?

I said it will never work playing an NRL regular season round in the UK.

Using the example of an NFL team playing in London is a bit disenenuous. The flight time is about 8 hours compared to 24 hours plus.

And without caring to look, I am reasonably certain none ofnthe games you have mentioned were anything but exibition games?

Edit : I notice the AFL game in China was a regular season game, so I stand corrected there. I still think a flight taking over a day one way to the other side of the world is a bridge too far.

Not having a go at you personally, mate. Just don't see it.

I'm pretty sure the MLB game was to start the season as well but don't quote me on that.

Flight times are definitely a concern but what I'm arguing is that these clubs are already over there so the flight back would still have to be made no matter how long the stay is.

If memory serves me correct clubs in the past bave played a warm up to the WCC in the UK so playing 2 games over there isn't even uncharted territory. Play the game a week before the rest of the coubs start and guve those 2 clubs the next weekend off and a Sunday game the following week.

I don't take it personally mate and am with you in a way that I don't see it happening either, but not because it's a bad idea. I'm just floating the idea and arguing that it could be feasible if clubs were willing. A bit of offseason debate brainstorming.

jim_57

Staff member
I like it but you'd have to give them the bye after it I think.

Not a bye as such but definitely a week off. Have it work something like this:

Weekend 1 - World Club Series
Weekend 2 (Saturday) - NRL opener in UK/Europe (Round 1)
Weekend 3 - Round 1 continues with all other clubs playing their first game in Aus/NZ.
Weekend 4 - Resume as normal, teams returning from the UK play Sunday, 15 days after season opener.

NRLMad

Juniors
I would do a double header nrl vs nrl / Esl vs esl both aligned on round 1 @ London
Then do what u say - bye etc. I think 'tis a money spinner if u could get 60-80k plus tv deals