What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2018

ouryears

Bench
Some people do attend AFL games----try 4,111,477 AFL compared to NRL 1,669,187 after 14 rds!!!! HELL,some do watch AFL !!!
Sure do.
League would kill for some of the action.
Instead of 9,000 poor souls at the Olympic stadium lol

Many years ago, AFL focused on having lots of members, getting bums on seats and making their game one that is entertaining to watch live. Not long after the NRL decided that TV was the future and that they'd rather have people watching the game at home on TV.

So now we have a case where AFL regularly have 80,000 people to games and 90 out of the 100 top viewed programs on Pay TV are NRL games...

Sure, the NRL is envious of AFL crowd numbers, but you can guarantee that AFL is envious of the ratings that the NRL pull on TV. AFL are also envious of the international footprint that the NRL has.

Sports are increasingly becoming global and in 10, 20, 50 years AFL will have ceased to be relevant because of this, unless they manage to get more than one country interested in the sport.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
What I don't get is why the NRL pushes for big stadiums when their focus in on the TV product.

They could get packed suburban crowds and save a fortune in stadium hire and it wouldn't hurt the TV presentation at all.

If anything, a packed out smaller ground would look and sound better on TV than an empty stadium.

Suburban grounds generally cost the clubs money unless they are full past a certain level. The big grounds, like ANZ stadium work on a different structure due to membership and sponsorship so the clubs actually get paid to play there. No matter the size of the actual crowd.

doyen

Bench
Many years ago, AFL focused on having lots of members, getting bums on seats and making their game one that is entertaining to watch live. Not long after the NRL decided that TV was the future and that they'd rather have people watching the game at home on TV.

So now we have a case where AFL regularly have 80,000 people to games and 90 out of the 100 top viewed programs on Pay TV are NRL games...

Sure, the NRL is envious of AFL crowd numbers, but you can guarantee that AFL is envious of the ratings that the NRL pull on TV. AFL are also envious of the international footprint that the NRL has.

Sports are increasingly becoming global and in 10, 20, 50 years AFL will have ceased to be relevant because of this, unless they manage to get more than one country interested in the sport.

AFL have had better TV ratings every year since 2011 according to OZTAM ie. for home & away p/ship games----2018 is looking good,however, for the NRL to win the ratings for the first time in 7 yrs!!!!

As for bums on seats the AFL will outscore the NRL 4 to 1 by the end of H & A games!!!! That is a monumental thrashing by any standard!

Last edited:

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Suburban grounds generally cost the clubs money unless they are full past a certain level. The big grounds, like ANZ stadium work on a different structure due to membership and sponsorship so the clubs actually get paid to play there. No matter the size of the actual crowd.
Uh no, clubs pay to rent stadiums mate.

Look into the Gold Coast/Robina Stadium fiasco.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
I understand what you're saying though. There's a chance for returns through corporate opportunities

Pommy

Coach

I believe the payments for playing at ANZ stopped several years ago. But you are correct that suburban grounds often run at a loss.
As much as I would like to play in smaller suburban grounds it’s just the better of two crap options we are currently presented with.
Parramatta stadium is going to be a game changer for Sydney. A modern well designed rectangular stadium at a size much more suitable to the NRL crowds.
It’s such a shame they have decided to build another big stadium at Moore park rather than just copying Paramatta stadium.

With actual league games I’m not sure the AFL gives a f**k what ratings the NRL gets. Not when uncle Rupert decided to give them more money anyway.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench

Currently, AFL is in front of us on tv viewing numbers as well.

From what I understand and you can correct me if I'm wrong... Oztam only deals with capital cities.

NRL slays AFL in regional ratings but also has an audience in New Zealand and elsewhere overseas.

The AFL audience consists of Australia and ex pat Australians overseas and that's about it.

doyen

Bench
From what I understand and you can correct me if I'm wrong... Oztam only deals with capital cities.

NRL slays AFL in regional ratings but also has an audience in New Zealand and elsewhere overseas.

The AFL audience consists of Australia and ex pat Australians overseas and that's about it.
TBH,I'd never heard of OZTAM!!

What I gleaned from looking at comments & numbers was that the AFL has been on top for TV viewing for a very long time over the NRL. Actual bums on seats has been 3 or 4 to 1 also in favour of the AFL.
Oztam does indicate that surveys are done in the capital cities but I would say that people in WA,NT,SA,TAS, VIC & Sthn NSW would watch AFL mostly!!