What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin Team Selected by Phil Rothfield - 5 Dragons incl.!!

Walpole

Juniors
They can't pick Dugan and Ferguson in the same team can they?

And Cook should be there, even if he's a super sub off the bench, given he can play all of the spine positions.

BennyV

Referee
You do not pick a utility just in case there is an injury. They need to be picked in the team in their own right.

Maloney is playing too well to not pick him. Also you need some experience when the going gets tough if you are going to pick Cleary.

Prefer Trbojevic at fullback.
Agree on Turbo, he's a far superior option to Teddy.

I'd lock in Tyrone Peachey for utility and use him in the middle if there's no injuries.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
positions.

Yes they can select them as 18th & 19th man ................ Drive em up to Ballina pub and pick em up at the end of the series.

Maybe Queensland can supply two players to make it an even contest and call it ............

State of Ink Origin

Ist prize ................ $400 ink job
2nd prize ............. A carton of Vodka Cruisers.
3rd prize .............. 12 month 'Centres' contract with Nulla Narks.
4th Prize ............. Date with Paul Gallen.
5th prize .............. Two dates with Paul Gallen.

SBD82

Coach
I think Cook might just get the nod. His attacking game is impressive. Defence not too bad either. No disrespect to our hooker, but I'm sure half of this forum will be throwing knives my way. Cook is winning his team's games.
Aren't you forgetting Rein?!?

And Cook should be there, even if he's a super sub off the bench, given he can play all of the spine positions.

Why not?
Dugan
Ferguson
See what Todd Carneys up to.
Pearce, he can see what Joel Monaghan is up to and if he can bring a dog. And some peanut butter.
Matt Lodge is available.
Tony Williams can be designated driver.
Jake Friend at hooker, he can see what Anthony Watts is up to.

Come in, it'll be funny.

Bench
It is a certainly we will have players in the SOO. The coach knows this and I hope he has earmarked replacements.
I would think he would include those replacements on the Bench

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would pick if all are fit

1 Teddy
2 Fergo
3 T Trbojevic
4 Roberts
5 Mansour
6 Maloney
7 Cleary
13 DeBelin
12 Frizell
11 Cordner
10 Klemmer
9 Cook
8 Vaughn

14 Utility to be confirmed
15 Campbell Gillard
16 James
17 J Trbjoevic

I do think that Tom Turbo is a better option at fullback than Teddy, but I want to fit them both in the team. I have seen Tom play very well at centre, but have not seen Teddy play well in any other position than fullback.
I actually came very close to picking Simms instead of Cordner. I think Simms is playing better than Cordner this year. He would also be suited to origin. He is certainly tough enough. If I did pick Simm, that would have given NSW an all St George backrow.

I considered Peachy as the utility, but I am not really a fan of him. I considered Bird as the utility, but he looks overweight and hasn't found any form at Brissy yet. I considered Aitken as the utility, but he can't cover the halves. I also considered Mann at the utility. He could actually be the best option, as he can cover any spot in the backline and is playing in the forwards for us off the bench this year.

FlameThrower

Bench
Origin Series - how to derail a season . Showcase half filled teams. Shock horror upsets and divert attention from the primary goal of a Premiership...and let’s not forget the risk of player injury too.
Perfect...

TruSaint

Referee
Cant stand Rothfield.. period.

Also, selfish I know, but I hope we dont have massive representation in the SOO, as to me whilst its a spectacle and a $$$ making machine, does not supersede the premiership.

Criteria is bent and twisted to suit. Mid season sent teams in to turmoil. Yeah i know, its a great spectacle ... In addition its a great bonus and confidence booster for platers, so I do see the upside.

Knowing our luck, they may pick Hunt for Qld. Thats half our squad mid season ..

For me its the competition proper is what counts. 2nd is representing your country.....

PS God forbid we cop an injury to a Vaughan / Frz / etc.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Cant stand Rothfield.. period.

Also, selfish I know, but I hope we dont have massive representation in the SOO, as to me whilst its a spectacle and a $$$ making machine, does not supersede the premiership.

Criteria is bent and twisted to suit. Mid season sent teams in to turmoil. Yeah i know, its a great spectacle ... In addition its a great bonus and confidence booster for platers, so I do see the upside.

Knowing our luck, they may pick Hunt for Qld. Thats half our squad mid season ..

For me its the competition proper is what counts. 2nd is representing your country.....

PS God forbid we cop an injury to a Vaughan / Frz / etc.

Bang on, mate.
I for one, hope they don't pick Sims or JDB ................. can you imagine them hitting Hunt?
Could end up a horror story.

BennyV

Referee
I actually came very close to picking Simms instead of Cordner. I think Simms is playing better than Cordner this year. He would also be suited to origin. He is certainly tough enough. If I did pick Simm, that would have given NSW an all St George backrow.

I considered Peachy as the utility, but I am not really a fan of him. I considered Bird as the utility, but he looks overweight and hasn't found any form at Brissy yet. I considered Aitken as the utility, but he can't cover the halves. I also considered Mann at the utility. He could actually be the best option, as he can cover any spot in the backline and is playing in the forwards for us off the bench this year.
Mann is a QLDer and wouldn’t be anywhere near SOO even if he was from NSW.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Mann is a QLDer and wouldn’t be anywhere near SOO even if he was from NSW.
I don't think that Mann is anywhere near origin either, but I could not think of any other players who can play any position in the backline. Can you?

I obviously did think Mann was a New South Welshman.

I am also not a fan of Peachey and don't think that he is anywhere near origin either. It is only his utility value that gets him mentioned as an origin player. He certainly isn't setting the world on fire playing 5/8 for Penrith at the moment.

If Conner Watson was fit and playing well, then he would have come into consideration for my utility spot.

As I said when I picked my team, Utility was to be confirmed.

BennyV

Referee
I don't think that Mann is anywhere near origin either, but I could not think of any other players who can play any position in the backline. Can you?

I obviously did think Mann was a New South Welshman.

I am also not a fan of Peachey and don't think that he is anywhere near origin either. It is only his utility value that gets him mentioned as an origin player. He certainly isn't setting the world on fire playing 5/8 for Penrith at the moment.

If Conner Watson was fit and playing well, then he would have come into consideration for my utility spot.

As I said when I picked my team, Utility was to be confirmed.
That’s because Peachey isn’t a 5/8. He’s an edge backrower with the ability to play centre, lock and hooker. And he’s a prototype Origin player - tough, skilful and able to create out of nothing.

Utility doesn’t need to be able to fill in every position as long as there’s a plan to cover injuries - move a second rower to centre, centre to wing or fullback, etc. What’s more important is for the utility to have a role to play outside of injuries (like Mann is now). Watson doesn’t really have that as you’d be crazy to replace a half mid-Origin. Whereas Peachey can play hooker, forwards or a roaming impact role.

The other option is Cook off the bench with Korisau or McInnes starting. Cook would provide great spark at hooker, has the skills and speed to cause havoc from lock and has experience playing in the backline in ISP.