What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Statement from the RLIF Board meeting - March 28th 2017

taipan

Referee
At bleeding last ,we now have a schedule and strategy for the future of the International game.

In the past the RLIF appeared to be running on empty, someone's put 98 premium in their tank.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
2018, If Aus are not interested, i reckon NZ should either tour the pacific or go to the UK and play a proper tour with games against France, Wales and Scotland and then 3 tests against England. If they go to England then the RLIF should aim for a Pacific Cup.

adamkungl

Immortal
NZRL cry poor but don't actually play any home games...
No reason why they can't play a couple of home games vs the islands every year.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
An Aussie mate based in NZ reckons the NZRL is nearly as broke as the ARU and spending nothing on NZ RL, so while the NRL talks about paying squillions on the upper echelons of the game, the grass roots whither and die. The AFL, he says, have more development officers in Wellington than RL does…. which is absolutely staggering.

siv

First Grade
Not happy with the Asia-Pacific qualification process

6 teams could pre qualify and thus lock out every other Asia Pacific nation

Oz, NZ, PNG, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji

Could all make the quarter finals

Which means rest of Asia Pacific is locked out of the RLWC2021

I thonk we need to be smarter here
It should only be the final 4

Everyone else needs to qualify

Thus we create interest in the RLWC Qualifiers and they become a worthy TV event

jim_57

Staff member
Not happy with the Asia-Pacific qualification process

6 teams could pre qualify and thus lock out every other Asia Pacific nation

Oz, NZ, PNG, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji

Could all make the quarter finals

Which means rest of Asia Pacific is locked out of the RLWC2021

I thonk we need to be smarter here
It should only be the final 4

Everyone else needs to qualify

Thus we create interest in the RLWC Qualifiers and they become a worthy TV event

I agree, but I think we should definitely keep Pacific nations capped at 6. This may be an unpopular opinion but I would hate to see South Africa, Serbia, Canada or Phillipines etc lose out to Cook Islands or Nieu. Not saying they shouldn't be given the chance of qualifying against the likes of Samoa, Tonga etc, but not at the expense of other areas.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm sure the NRL will jump on the geniused Pacific Islands Combined idea at some point

I still think a United Pacific team would be great against the Indigenous All Stars (really anything the give the Indigenous team an opponent that doesnt scream White-Pride...). But that would be limited to the All Stars concept.

As for the regular internationals (while i prefer the islander teams to stay independent) if the competition did become too one-sided, i could be worth looking at collectives for Polynesia, Melonesia and Micronesia. The teams would be far stronger and nations who could never qualify on their own would have some representation.

polynesia-map.jpg

The Micronesian team would be pretty awesome.

The strength of the islander teams is in their rivalry with each other, especially Tonga an Samoa. I don't know why anyone would f**k with that.

The Partisan

Just to be a devils advocate .....If a Pacific Nation made ...or amazingly won....a RLWC final ......what would that do for our sport ? Would the wider world wonder how a tiny Island nation could challenge for / win a world competition ? Would the credibility of the code be questioned ?

I ask as I sometimes wonder if the RLIF would love to see these countries flourish .....but be embarrassed if they ended up becoming powerhouses ....as opposed to major European or American countries (where $$$ via sponsors, fans, media etc would be available) ?

Don't think for a moment I am knocking the efforts of our Pacific pioneers ....I am not. Genuinely curious as to what would be the outcome.

adamkungl

Immortal
Just to be a devils advocate .....If a Pacific Nation made ...or amazingly won....a RLWC final ......what would that do for our sport ? Would the wider world wonder how a tiny Island nation could challenge for / win a world competition ? Would the credibility of the code be questioned ?

I ask as I sometimes wonder if the RLIF would love to see these countries flourish .....but be embarrassed if they ended up becoming powerhouses ....as opposed to major European or American countries (where $$$ via sponsors, fans, media etc would be available) ?

Don't think for a moment I am knocking the efforts of our Pacific pioneers ....I am not. Genuinely curious as to what would be the outcome.

I kind of agree with you.
It's frustrating when people hold up the pacific islands as the great hope of international footy.

A successful Fiji would be an amazing underdog story, a minor curiosity in world sport, and a major embarrassment for the big 3. But ultimately it's not going to change the direction of respect of international Rugby League. (Especially when most of their players grew up playing the game in Australia anyway).

But really it's not gonna happen. Unless they unearth their own Thurston-like player in the halves.
A Fijian heritage player of this stature who grew up in Australia would likely play for Australia.
A Fijian born and raised player of this stature is borderline impossible due to the quality and depth of local football played in Fiji. Even someone with raw talent would lack the education and competition. Most sadly of all, if they were brought over at a young enough age, they would likely jump to the Kangaroos for the money anyway when the residency period allows.

Knownothing

Juniors
Any kid who leaves his home country to play professionally anywhere else is doing it because they can earn much more. It would be very unusual for such a kid to put much of a premium on representing his country of birth.