What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stay Classy Brissy

Danish

Referee
The broncos are a merkin organisation, there is no arguing against that.

Aside from that, I don't think the rule needs changing at all. If Turbo actually knew the rule, he wouldn't have unnecessarily jumped to contest that ball since he'd be aware it would leave him open to getting smashed. He clearly misread the situation and thought jumping would allow him an uncontested shot at the ball, but he was wrong.

It was an unfortunate injury to be sure, but the tackled in the air rule is already such a huge advantage. It doesn't need to be changed.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
It's a nice distraction for Manly fans who were robbed of a home match and lost the game and their fullback in the process for the sake of a few dollars

as much as i'd love to keep dogging the donkeys for their typical arrogant media and fans,....this can't be understated.

justdave

Juniors
The broncos are a merkin organisation, there is no arguing against that.

Aside from that, I don't think the rule needs changing at all. If Turbo actually knew the rule, he wouldn't have unnecessarily jumped to contest that ball since he'd be aware it would leave him open to getting smashed. He clearly misread the situation and thought jumping would allow him an uncontested shot at the ball, but he was wrong.

It was an unfortunate injury to be sure, but the tackled in the air rule is already such a huge advantage. It doesn't need to be changed.

I agree Danish. But, as a fullback, he needed to contest the ball in that situation.

Danish

Referee
I agree Danish. But, as a fullback, he needed to contest the ball in that situation.

Of course. He could have played it safe and contested while staying on the ground, but instead he jumped.

Did he jump believing that by he'd be protecting himself from contact? Possibly. He also may have jumped simply because his only thought was getting to that ball first.

A fullback that knows the rules also knows once it bounces if you choose to leave the ground you are taking a big risk.

justdave

Juniors
Fair enough. TBH it was probably a reflex decision anyway. Players get hurt all the time. Just one of those things

Danish

Referee
Yeah I would doubt he thought twice about it. Could do it 100 times in a row and never had that happen.

Luckily it didn't happen to a darling derplander else the rule would already be changed in the hysteria

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Remember when a darling derplander got very good at stripping the ball and amid the hysteria, we changed the strip rule and created one of the biggest grey areas of the game?

This guy remembers.

remember when a derplander blatantly ran behind a runner to win an origin game, and the nrl reacted by enforcing shephards? best decision ever made.

SBD82

Coach
Wasn't there a derplander who figured out how to trip people "legally" so the rule book needed to be changed?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Wasn't there a derplander who figured out how to trip people "legally" so the rule book needed to be changed?

Like that stopped a certain NSW halfback

35a626751fd26f609e3ad86ee39b73ff

8707ec90022e6d31522c3dc3b9045302

reynolds-tripmiller.jpg

Surely

Post Whore
Just cut back on all the dumb rules , if they aren't tackled above the shoulders or spear tackled then it should be legal.

If you are concerned about mid air tackles just f**k the bomb off.

It's boring as shit anyway, hit up after hit up bomb.

SBD82

Coach
There was a derplander who changed the punching rule in RL by getting punched.
Exactly right.

If he had just put his hands up like any normal human being this could have all been avoided.

Although to be fair, if I had a head like his I wouldn't have bothered blocking gals little love taps either.

TheDMC

Bench

Rubbish. He had to jump to secure the ball and save a try as Mead would have jumped, likely secured the ball and scored.

Totally necessary for him to jump. But it did leave him in a very vulnerable position. If he didn't jump and Mead scored then Turbo would be getting blasted for being weak.

I'd say refs should be (maybe they can?) give a penalty in that situation as simply a dangerous tackle. Apply it when a player has to leap to secure a high bouncing ball and gets smashed. But discretionary only.

Big Pete

Referee
The problem is that if you start applying discretion to these sort of situations, then you'll come to the territory where it will only be penalised if it results in injury which isn't fair either.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Of course. He could have played it safe and contested while staying on the ground, but instead he jumped.

Did he jump believing that by he'd be protecting himself from contact? Possibly. He also may have jumped simply because his only thought was getting to that ball first.

A fullback that knows the rules also knows once it bounces if you choose to leave the ground you are taking a big risk.
Once the ball bounced he was likely to be smashed legally whether he jumped or left his feet planted.

The rule applies to a defending player being protected when in the air attempting to catch a ball on the full.

I would have thought TT knew that, but the ability of numerous posters in here to grasp the rule suggest a cross section of players might be as thick as a cross section of posters... well there was that spud from the broncos who didn't know the rule about letting a dropout go 10m.

Last edited:

Latest posts