What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney new Warriors Coach

Big Marn

Juniors
yes, they said on the Crowd goes wild this morning it was Kidwell as an assistant.
Just to be decided if Cleary wants the Kiwis job as they think if he doesnt get St George or Canterbury job, they will offer him the kiwis job. If he doesnt want it then Kidwell is the next in line.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
While I'm not overjoyed with the coaching choice, I'm quite happy for people to be writing us off based on what happened at the Eels 5 or so years ago.
Well who did you want as coach? And whoever you wanted, I bet ya someone would find a hole in them and expose it too.

JoeD

First Grade
Kearney on radio sport when asked about kiwis position nominated kidwell as his preferred replacement. Would indicate he is not in line for ass coach job maybe

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
NRL Website said:
New Warriors coach Stephen Kearney said transforming the culture of the club will be his top priority when he takes the reigns at the end of the 2016 season.

After being announced as the man to replace Andrew McFadden as head coach of the Kiwi club, Kearney said he would stick to the same formula which had delivered much success for him on the international stage with New Zealand over the past nine years.

"Everyone watching the Warriors can see the potential they do have, and for me it's about creating an environment which helps them realise that potential," Kearney said.

"It's about creating a culture which demands that, so that will be my primary focus, to make sure we demand a very high expectation.

"My focus is on making sure that I improve the culture… making sure that we deliver, that we put our best performance out every week.

"I am sure the rewards will come off the back of that."

In nine seasons as coach of the Kiwis, Kearney guided them through one of their most-successful periods, winning the 2008 Rugby League World Cup and picking up Four Nations titles in 2010 and 2014.

He stood down on Tuesday as coach of the New Zealand side, leaving them as the No.1 ranked nation in the world right now.

Kearney said he expected there would be little difference in how his key coaching principals would apply to an NRL Telstra Premiership side, despite the Warriors having chewed through four coaches since 2012.

"I can't see there being any issues or problems with that… with the more time you have with [the players] it's probably an even better opportunity [to do that]," he said.

"It's a culture that demands a high expectation on the way we train, the way we live and obviously the way we perform.

"From the point of view of expectation, I am confident that if we build the right culture and the right environment and have the players maximise their potential [there will be success]."

Current Wests Tigers assistant coach David Kidwell is the favourite to assume control of the New Zealand national team, with both Kearney and New Zealand Rugby League chief executive Alex Hayton instilling him as the frontrunner for the role.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Well who did you want as coach? And whoever you wanted, I bet ya someone would find a hole in them and expose it too.

I don't care who we get as coach, just want to start winning. Kearney might do well, he might not, but I'm not going to get myself into raptures or depressed over a coach signing.

Round 1 2017 is all that matters. Until then it's just words.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
And similarly, Kearney has no knowledge of how to coach an NRL side week in, week out - and I mean that tactically, personnel wise, running an organisation etc. It's so, SO much different to getting guys up for a one-off Test or a three-Test series/tournament.

No knowledge? He's been an assistant to Belamy then Bennett for how many years? If he doesn't have pretty good knowledge of those things he's thick as pigshit. And I don't think he's that.
Say what else you like about Kearney but he's been thoughly apprenticed by probably the two best football organisations in the NRL. He knows a thing or two.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
No knowledge? He's been an assistant to Belamy then Bennett for how many years? If he doesn't have pretty good knowledge of those things he's thick as pigshit. And I don't think he's that.
Say what else you like about Kearney but he's been thoughly apprenticed by probably the two best football organisations in the NRL. He knows a thing or two.

I didn't say he had no knowledge, I said he had no knowledge of how to run an NRL side as a head coach. Just like 2 of the last 3 blokes we've had. Remember that one of them was also a successful Kiwis coach. I'm not saying Kearney won't work, I just feel a bit sick to my stomach that again we have a guy unproven at the helm. Did we have other options? Ivan, by the sounds of it. He's already buried shit cultures at this very club. Doyle said SK was his first choice, so unless there's smoke and mirrors I believe Doyle wanted Kearney and no one else.

Being head coach of an NRL club is bloody hard. Even the best take several years to get into the top 2 or 4, let alone win premierships. I dunno, if Ivan doesn't go to the Drags or Souths and he was available but we didn't get him, I consider that a massive fail. Kearney will be hard-pressed to make finals in his first couple of years. He's never taken control of a 26-round season.

And furthermore, how does Kearney say 'this didn't work last year, we did this poorly, this needs to be improved because it was shit' when the guy who made all that happen is standing right next to him? It's just a weird mix to have this new coach who is taking over from a very unsuccessful coach, who is now his assistant. I don't like it.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Cappys not coach anymore guys...
1aifsr.jpg

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I didn't say he had no knowledge, I said he had no knowledge of how to run an NRL side as a head coach. Just like 2 of the last 3 blokes we've had. Remember that one of them was also a successful Kiwis coach. I'm not saying Kearney won't work, I just feel a bit sick to my stomach that again we have a guy unproven at the helm. Did we have other options? Ivan, by the sounds of it. He's already buried shit cultures at this very club. Doyle said SK was his first choice, so unless there's smoke and mirrors I believe Doyle wanted Kearney and no one else.

Being head coach of an NRL club is bloody hard. Even the best take several years to get into the top 2 or 4, let alone win premierships. I dunno, if Ivan doesn't go to the Drags or Souths and he was available but we didn't get him, I consider that a massive fail. Kearney will be hard-pressed to make finals in his first couple of years. He's never taken control of a 26-round season.

And furthermore, how does Kearney say 'this didn't work last year, we did this poorly, this needs to be improved because it was shit' when the guy who made all that happen is standing right next to him? It's just a weird mix to have this new coach who is taking over from a very unsuccessful coach, who is now his assistant. I don't like it.

So what you mean is he has no experience as a head coach. He has knowledge- that much is almost indisputable. The question is whether he can put what he's learned at the Stprm and Broncos into action now he's got the assistance of a competent administration (unlike Parra). We'll just have to see.
I wouldn't read anything into the "SK was our first choice" comment. If he says "we'd rather have had Ivan but we settled for what we could get" that's hardly a show of confidence in the ew coach, and no CEO is ever going to admit something like that. It's standard management speak.
As for how he deals with changing Cappy's systems while Cappy's still there- I'd suggest by reminding Cappy that if they were so good in the first place Cappy would be head coach and they wouldn't be having that conversation.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, experience if you want to frame it that way. And yes, I thought that too about saying he was their first choice. But I believe him.

We should all remember that Doyle was NZRL CEO in 2009-12, which is interesting because we only won one Test v the Kangaroos in that time (the Four Nations 2010 final). But he clearly rates Kearney highly and I actually have no doubt that was his preferred option as coach. Not over a Bellamy etc, but over Ivan or chasing someone on contract like Maguire/Hasler etc with doubt swirling over their futures.

I don't think it's as easy as saying to McFudd 'your systems didn't work pal'. People are humans, with human emotions. He won't do that. Will it be easy to identify and eradicate the stuff that didn't work in 2016? Will McFudd insist in pre-season that two giant wingers playing as extra props is a good idea? Or will he just go from head coach to shrinking violet who says nothing and just lays the witch's hats out? I dunno. I just think it's a dumb idea, and especially when you consider the lack of coaching nous McFudd has exhibited.

Blair

Coach
But this is just me saying I have reservations. I will support this side in 2017 and hope, hope, hope things will change for the better. But if I was a betting man I wouldn't have us in the eight.

If I was a betting man I'd think there was a slim but fair chance Cappy will finish the 2017 season as head coach.

Blair

Coach
How does this scenario play out?
Kearney have a heart attack or assassinated?

I didn't think of illness or assassination! More likely a panicked board show him the door early, with Cappy replacing him until a replacement is found for 2018.

That's all very unlikely though. I'm warming to Kearney and hope he does well with us. Life's way too short to be thinking about the year after next.

Last edited:
I didn't think of illness or assassination! More likely a panicked board show him the door early with Cappy replacing him until a replacement is found for 2018.

That's all very unlikely though. I'm warming to Kearney and hope he does well with us. Life's way too short to be thinking about the year after next.

Jesus, ala Bluey!
If that happens pull the plug!
I was thinking 2 years of no finals and a top coach eg Bellamy, Bennett or Hasler on the hook only as a replacement.
But I don't know if we will ever recruit a top coach to be honest.

I hope like hell most fans want Kearney to do well.

Let hope a "Who replaces Kearney?" thread doesnt starts in game 1 before halftime next year! :)

p.s if we are down by 24+ points I'm going to! :)

spear tackle

Juniors
I think at the end of the day most fans just want to see a few wins and us making the top 8 once and a while and will get behind anyone that can get the side into a winning groove,so are not too fussed as to who the head coach is provided we get results.
As for tank like wingers, Kearny seems to be a big fan of Jason Nightingale so he appreciates talent and skill over brawn at least.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
What would we say Kearney's "style of play" is?

Will he have us trying to play grinding footy, or razzle dazzle or 4 hit ups and a bomb to Manu? I for one hope he brings the offloads back into our game.

(not a pisstake question, just can't remember what type of style he implemented at the eels, and international footy is different to week in week out NRL footy)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The more I think about it, there's definite upsides to Kearney. Two of them are Luke and Matulino. Issac wasn't that bad this year but Ben was, and I'd think/hope they'll be right behind Kearney. That could bring the best out of Ben in particular if he's motivated and is used right. SJ has also played his best footy in Kiwis jerseys under Kearney. That might be the one-off/series sort of nature of Test footy, but hopefully injury free next year he is given the freedom to be as good as he's been in black. And Kearney has seen/coached a lot of outstanding second rowers, we need ours to start playing some more ball. I dunno, maybe I was too quick to judge how this is going to play out.

I just wish he had a good assistant with him. If it's not Kidwell (and someone suggested Kearney's comments on radio meant he was backing Kidwell in for the Kiwis job therefore isn't bringing him to Auckland), then who is this coach with international experience that Doyle and the Warriors press release talked about? Coz if it's McFudd/Jones/some no name, it's not ideal.