What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steven Marsters

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Does anyone know how Dylan Morris has gone thus far?

Chosen at fullback for the first two rounds, I've noticed he's been relegated to the reserves bench against North Sudney.
Based on that, I'd say he's gone pretty ordinary thus far..

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons' Steve Marsters inspired by Tigers' NRL cousin Esan
Local Sport
Steven Marsters would look at his cousin Esan – a ball-running, try-scoring, goal-kicking brute – with envy and inspiration.

Winging it: Dragons back Steve Marsters. Picture: NRL Imagery/Gregg Porteous

At the Wests Tigers, Esan is an emerging NRL powerhouse centre, having played 37 games since his debut last year. Esan has now played five Tests for New Zealand, scoring three times.

Three years his junior, Steven is headlong into his second pre-season, the door to a start in the big time creaking open after the departure of Nene Macdonald and Jason Nightingale.

The Dragons need a solution to their lack of depth and strike outwide, Marsters needs an opportunity.

After Esan moved from New Zealand to Sydney, all Steven wanted to do was follow his cousins path.

Then his moment came.

During a New Zealand indigenous tournament, then Dragons recruitment boss Peter Mulholland overhead Marsters behind the tryline, urging to his teammates to lift after conceding a try.

An hour later, Mulholland was chatting with Marsters parents about a career with St George Illawarra, impressed by his attitude to the game.

So he packed up and started with the Steelers’ Harold Matthews team and then two years at Thirroul, before coming into the full-time NRL squad.

“I always looked up to (Esan), I was attached to him as a kid,” Marsters told the Mercury this week.

“When he moved to Australia, I would say to mum, I want to move over and stay with him. And she kept saying, the only way you’re going to get over there is get a contract.

“Sure enough, when Peter Mulholland approached me, it just worked out.”

Playing in the under 20s last year, Marsters moved into the St George Illawarra NSW Premiership team.

Marsters worked closely with Jordan Pereira, who broke into the Dragons lineup last year. Earlier in the week, NSW representative forward Tariq Sims said he hoped the Dragons landed “one or two” signings to boost their backline stocks.

Coach Paul McGregor’s biggest headache will come regarding wing selections, after losing more than 350 games experience in Macdonald and Nightingale.

But Sims was also quick to acknowledge the potential of Marsters to follow Pereira into the NRL ranks.

“From what I’ve seen of him, he’s doing everything right, he just needs to find that extra 10 per cent and get his chance,” Sims said.

“You look at Jordan, he finally got his crack halfway through the year and you won’t find a harder worker than Jordan.

“He’s such a strong carrier of the ball. Sometimes his defensive reads aren’t the best, but he really makes up for it with his effort levels.

“I think with another pre-season (Pereira’s) going to go to another level and I’m excited to see what he can achieve.”

The Dragons play the Charity Shield against the Rabbitohs in Mudgee on March 2, before opening the season against the Cowboys on March 16.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5771729/marsters-pushing-to-fill-dragons-vacancy/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Marsters' Tigers influence
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Thu 22 Nov 2018, 09:31 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons young gun Steven Marsters hasn't put a time frame on it, but one day soon plans to take out one of his own in the NRL.

Marsters is the cousin of Esan – the Wests Tigers centre coming off a huge second season of NRL that saw him rewarded with New Zealand Test honours.

Despite being three years Esan's junior, Marsters said he is constantly attempting to one-up his cousin no matter the circumstances.

The two-time Junior Kiwis representative is currently undergoing his second full pre-season at the Dragons.

The 19-year-old was expected to see out the 2018 season in Jersey Flegg but ended up playing double the Intrust Super Premiership games than he did in the Under-20s.

"It would be a dream come true to play Esan in the NRL. Our grandad always told us that if we were to ever play each other to take off each other's heads," Marsters laughed.

"Esan and I love going at one another. Every time a family barbecue rolls around, you'll find us in the backyard going at each other.

"We try and beat one another at everything. If we're playing golf or tennis we'll be taking it seriously. It'll always end up in a fight.

"I have always wanted to play better than him and be better than him which is exactly how he looks at me. Our whole family sees that."

Friendly fire aside, Marsters's biggest influence is his older cousin.

Esan made his debut for New Zealand at June's Denver Test against England and has since represented the Kiwis five times.

The sight of Esan donning the black-and-white jumper for the first time left little doubt in Marsters' mind who he aspired towards.

"Seeing him go through all the hard yards as a kid to what he's achieving now, it makes me proud. When I saw him put on his first Kiwis jersey, I cried. That's how special Esan is to me," Marsters said.

"Esan has been my biggest influence. Everything that I know now is because of him. Seeing where he is now, it has played a huge role in my life.

"Watching him play for New Zealand over in the UK recently, and also against Australia, was a huge moment for me as well."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/11/22/marsters-tigers-influence/