What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop AFL plague

iggy plop

First Grade
What a disgraceful situation we will have in this city if the bloody AFL get precedence over the NRL for use of Telstra Stadium. It's bad enough having hours upon hours of Aussie Rules shoved down our necks on free-to-air each week, now we are seeing that mob really pushing their weight. The NRL must get pro-active and stop the rot. Sydney is a league city. The AFL and media in Melbourne don't give other sports an inch down there.

You'd think AFL was the number game in Sydney. There are more games on radio and TV - It's a disgrace. NRL get your act together!!!!!

dimitri

First Grade
I agree

could you imagine the outrage if the NRL and AFL were fighting over the MCG for a semi final

The Q Facor

Juniors
I know how frustrating it is living in a League city when the AFL goons talk up their pitiful excuse for a sport.

I live in Brisbane.

millersnose

Post Whore
even sydney dj's are now refering to the afl grand final simply as "grand final day"

this is a direct result of the poor deals brockered between the NRL and the media

years ago you could watch 3 or 4 games free to air per week now it is 2

league is busy digging its own grave for a few bucks from packer

dimitri

First Grade
i agree

next TV deal

must ensure

NATIONAL LIVE COVERAGE

LIVE FOOTY SHOW INTO EVERY STATE

AND MORE THAN JUST MONEY

iggy plop

First Grade
It seems the Daily telegraph is the only paper sympathetic to the league and even that rag has seen a huge jump in its AFL coverage in recent times. League is by far the most popular sport in Sydney, yet the odd big Swans crowd seems to get our media into a frenzy. They must remember the Swans are only one team and nobody in Sydney watches any other form of AFL. The local comp is a joke.

Most of the Swans are not from Sydney and we are cheering a bunch of ex-pats.

The NRL must get serious in future TV and media deals. Stop the Dally M award being tied to one paper. Make the game accessible to as many media outlets as possible. The current radio situation is an example of their shortsightedness in this area.

They must not let the AFL plague make any further inroads into the Sydney marker. They've dropped the ball big time in Brisbane, so they must not do that here.

The fact the AFL looks like getting preference for Telstra Stadium is just a taste of what we could be in for.

Let's protest as passionate league fans!!!!!!!

iggy plop said:
Most of the Swans are not from Sydney and we are cheering a bunch of ex-pats.

LOL. This country cracks me up sometimes. The only ex-pat in the Swans side is Tadhg Kennelly. The rest are Australians. Being from another state does not make you an ex-pat. :lol:

iggy plop

First Grade
Well you know what I mean Deano.

"Cheer Cheer a bunch of Vics, SA's and WA's in the red and the white follow other states by day and by night"

It's not our game. Just like league is not Melbourne's. And don't they let us know it!!!

There are a load of Queenslanders playing for the Sharks but I'm happy to cheer them. Don't see why it's different cheering a bunch of Victorians and South Australians, plus the odd Irishman.

iggy plop

First Grade
Beattie and Nutely and maybe one or two others. Don't let a good fabrication get in the way of your argument.

With the SYDNEY swans, it's more like 90 per cent of their list.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
sometimes i think with this dirt cheap deal that packer got for league,that he is trying to kill it.he lost the superleague war and since then nines coverage has got worse.now they got gay.f.l on nine,all they do is promote that crap :?

who gets live games on nine?

who gets promotion on there t.v channel?

who is the new kid on the block in nsw and qld?

THE GAY.F.L :x

who showed nine loyalty?

how gets no live games?

how gets screwed?

THE NRL

who owns the game?

who is packers biggest rival?

WHO PROMISED US A GREAT GAME THAT WOULD GO WORLD WIDE?

and who the f@ck are these two pricks?
the same two who are always trying to get 1 over the other.

and guess what?

there the 1s killing league,they have the t.v networks the papers and probably somewhere in there is the radio.
they dont do jack for league.

if this keeps going the way it is there will be no rugby league to watch as there killing it.and when the next t.v deals come around for league they will get it dirt cheap again as they will say it doesnt rate.cause they have been shoving that gay.f.l crap down ppls throats and they will say its bigger, and the nrl have no idea how to fight it.the whole nrl need to be sacked for

1 having no idea at all

2 for having no vision

3 for killing off our interstate teams

4 for being called the nrl when its only east coast :x

5 for signing these stupid contracts in the 1st place

6 for never listening to the fans

7 for neglecting the international game

8 for never sticking up for our code against those who wish to do us harm(GAY.F.L AND YAWION)

9 for letting it get as bad as it is now

10 and last but not least FOR HAVING NO BALLS

something big needs to be done to get league back to where it was and the sooner the better.

iggy plop said:
Beattie and Nutely and maybe one or two others. Don't let a good fabrication get in the way of your argument.

Add Axe Newton to that list, and don't forget our Maroon Origin reps of the past few seasons, now departed (Rogers, Lang, McKenna).

iggy plop said:
With the SYDNEY swans, it's more like 90 per cent of their list.

About 1/3 NSW in their first grade squad.

iggy plop

First Grade
So three Queenslanders in your current squad - not much.

All of the Swans known players are from other states. Schnieder is about the only one with a profile from NSW. LRT will not last long.

iggy plop said:
All of the Swans known players are from other states. Schnieder is about the only one with a profile from NSW. LRT will not last long.

Nick Davis, Leo Barry, Brett Kirk, Craig Bolton...?

iggy plop

First Grade
I just hope the NRL read posts like this to realise that our great sport is lagging behind because of their ridiculous incompetence.

Anonymous

Juniors
It seems the NRL is still living by the success of the NSWRL comps and the larger 80s crowds and the era before the devil took over half the teams. It dosnt really seem that the NRL is at all promoting the game, fighting to get huge crowds to games, getting better media agreements etc. I dont know what the solution is, that is probably why i dont work in that particular feild, but surely there must be some meathead in the NRL that knows what to do, or atleast a team of people to bring in some inovative ideas. The AFL seems to be going from strength to strength, while the NRL seems like that little kid whos being picked on at school and is afraid to speak