What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop AFL plague

Mark Rudd

Juniors
"Why would you go to a storm game..there's really no incentive"

What a stupid thing to say. I'm speechless for the first time ever.

"The AFL are doing a damn good job at promoting the Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions. Their games are shown on TV (at resonable times) > people become interested > their games are advertised > people decide to watch it live... "

And what are the NRL suppossed to do about the fact that NINE here in VIC hates RL and wont show ANY finals live this weekend? (in the 90's they were all live). Even last years GF was going to be shown late until the last minute. Not one live NRL game here in VIV all year. Not one. Why? Because the NRL dont want to show it? No moron. Because all the begging in the world wont change the simple fact that the NINE bosses hate it and wont give it a fair go. And this will continue here for another 100,000 years+.

"But if the Swans win the AFL comp I could imagine how much excitment there would be in Sydney."

Sydney's full of gay people like you. Id rather live here in VIC.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Your a bulldog(you dont deserve a capital b) supporter millernose. What would you know about it.

Go away.

Mark Rudd said:
And what are the NRL suppossed to do about the fact that NINE here in VIC hates RL and wont show ANY finals live this weekend? (in the 90's they were all live). Even last years GF was going to be shown late until the last minute. Not one live NRL game here in VIV all year. Not one. Why? Because the NRL dont want to show it? No moron. Because all the begging in the world wont change the simple fact that the NINE bosses hate it and wont give it a fair go. And this will continue here for another 100,000 years+.

They're called contractual obligations. Do you think the people who run Channel 10 in Sydney give a rat's ass about AFL? No, it doesn't make them any money. But the AFL won't let them show the Melbourne games and the finals unless they do the Sydney and Brisbane H&A games as well.

It does mean that they probably don't get as much TV revenue as they might if they sold them free of restrictions. But it does promote their game.

The NRL imposes no such obligations on Channel Nine in its broadcast negotiations. So Melbourne viewers get shafted. Aim your anger at the NRL, not at Nine Melbourne, who know league doesn't rate there right now, and schedule accordingly.

Mark Rudd said:
"Why would you go to a storm game..there's really no incentive"

What a stupid thing to say. I'm speechless for the first time ever.
Why the hell WOULD you go..watch a foreign sport which you have never seen (on tv or live) and know almost nothing about it, that attracts a crowd of less than 10,000? How exciting would that be? People in Melbourne just arn't interested let alone paying money for it!

"The AFL are doing a damn good job at promoting the Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions. Their games are shown on TV (at resonable times) > people become interested > their games are advertised > people decide to watch it live... "

Do you seriously think that 9 & 10 bosses in Sydney LOVE AFL? Don't you realise that free-to-air operates by the use of advertising? AFL in northern states doesn't rate..that's why the AFL made the 'TV rights deal' so that a certain amount of AFL games have to be shown in Sydney/Brisbane.

"But if the Swans win the AFL comp I could imagine how much excitment there would be in Sydney."

Sydney's full of gay people like you. Id rather live here in VIC.
Real intelligent comment there! Being down south you wouldn't have been able to see how much publicity the Swans got (V Collingwood). People were talking about it on the radio, a major article involving the swans was posted on the back cover of the telegraph at least a few times during the week, there was a report on the AFL on the FRONT COVER of the sunday Telegraph...

Mark Rudd

Juniors
"They're called contractual obligations. Do you think the people who run Channel 10 in Sydney give a rat's ass about AFL? No, it doesn't make them any money."

They must if they show it. And I belive it rated higher than the NRL games on the weekend which gave great delight to the AFL down here. If that keeps happening, they will be put on live up against the NRL. They rate higher, then join us down here and watch the NRL at midnight. Exactly what the AFL are trying to do and why they signed with TEN in the first place.

The NRL GF peaked at over 500,000 last year here which shows a lot are interested in it. Would they show more NRL games because of the interest? No. Contractual obligations mean jack if they show something that doesnt rate. If it does, they keep it. If it doesnt, they pull it. The SoO here in VIC. First game at 9:30pm. Put up against a playboy special. Never had a chance so gets put back. Suits them just fine now to NEVER show it live or even close because it hasnt rated in the past.

NINE run the station. NOT the NRL. They cant help what NINE do. Simple.

"Real intelligent comment there! Being down south you wouldn't have been able to see how much publicity the Swans got (V Collingwood). People were talking about it on the radio, a major article involving the swans was posted on the back cover of the telegraph at least a few times during the week, there was a report on the AFL on the FRONT COVER of the sunday Telegraph..."

Meaning? The media will NEVER do that here in VIC. People were put off because they made the back page in the Herald Sun after they won the GF. David Hookes said on air that it was 'disgusting' that so many people watched last years GF. Without Storm in it. Anyway, we knew all right about the publicity. All the media kept saying was how the AFL is more popular than the NRL in Sydney and that it drew more fans to one AFL game than all the NRL games in Sydney. Dont say we didnt know about it Wild Man. They are still rubbing it in to the NRL.

"Why the hell WOULD you go..watch a foreign sport which you have never seen (on tv or live) and know almost nothing about it, that attracts a crowd of less than 10,000? How exciting would that be? People in Melbourne just arn't interested let alone paying money for it! "

I go because I love it. As do my friends who are AFL fans. As are quite a lot of Storms fans. More than you think. People are interested. But they never get a chance to see it with no NRL games on TV till late. 10 pages of AFL news to half in the paper. Sports commentators who refuse to talk Rugby League on a sports show. Very little on the TV. And if Storm DO make the TV news, its often on TEN, NOT NINE!

There might not be a lot of us down here. But we do our best to keep Storm going in the hardest conditions possible. I think we deserve some respect. Please.

Mark Rudd said:
"Why the hell WOULD you go..watch a foreign sport which you have never seen (on tv or live) and know almost nothing about it, that attracts a crowd of less than 10,000? How exciting would that be? People in Melbourne just arn't interested let alone paying money for it! "

I go because I love it. As do my friends who are AFL fans. As are quite a lot of Storms fans. More than you think. People are interested. But they never get a chance to see it with no NRL games on TV till late. 10 pages of AFL news to half in the paper. Sports commentators who refuse to talk Rugby League on a sports show. Very little on the TV. And if Storm DO make the TV news, its often on TEN, NOT NINE!
Sorry, I gotta clear this up. I'm trying to say: "what makes a Rugby League game in Melbourne appealing". You can't expect AFL supporters to be attracted to Rugby League. That's why the NRL has to do something to fix this! I love Rugby League. I would like to see it gain alot more support in Melbourne, but the NRL isn't making this happen.

Mark Rudd said:
Ok then. What do YOU think the NRL do to help Storm attract more people to their games?
Do what the AFL has done in Sydney for Swans...
*Negotiate with free-to-air stations in Melbourne to show storm games at realistic times or live to get people at least interested in Rugby League and the Storm.
*Run advertisements on TV/Radio/Newspapers for the Storm games
*Have the Storm games broadcasted on radio
*Structure games so that they don't clash with AFL games and encourage aussie rules supporters to support the Storm by using deals/disounts etc.

I don't know how much power the NRL actually has but they just don't seem to be doing a very good job with the promotion. They are almost forgeting about the club and hoping that it survivies and the support increases.

dimitri

First Grade
Do what the AFL has done in Sydney for Swans...
*Negotiate with free-to-air stations in Melbourne to show storm games at realistic times or live to get people at least interested in Rugby League and the Storm.
*Run advertisements on TV/Radio/Newspapers for the Storm games
*Have the Storm games broadcasted on radio
*Structure games so that they don't clash with AFL games and encourage aussie rules supporters to support the Storm by using deals/disounts etc.

i agree totally

wittyfan

Referee
Ineffective ads with 1980's music is also not helping the NRL with the battle against the AFL.

dimitri

First Grade
also only playing the ads at the beginning of the season doesnt help either

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Frenzy

Juniors
millersnose said:
yep i would rather you live in victoria too

Mark Rudd said:
Your a bulldog(you dont deserve a capital b) supporter millernose. What would you know about it.

Go away

MILLERS! when did you defect to the darkside? You closet Ryanite. BTR will be informed.

new_rofl.gif

new_rofl.gif

new_rofl.gif

new_rofl.gif

new_rofl.gif

new_rofl.gif

P.S. Went to Melbourne recently, hopped in a cab and asked the driver to take us to Mooney Valley racecourse. He didn't even speak English and didn't know where it was. So we hopped out and went to the next cab with the refugee chasing us saying we had to get in his cab. The second driver was the same. How do people get stright off planes and get jobs driving taxi's down there anyway? EVERY taxi we caught the driver tried to rort us thinking we didn't know our way around.

Anyway, just thought I'd have a ramble so I could fit in with the regulars LOL

Mark Rudd

Juniors
STILL everyone missed my post. All you guys ever do is whinge whinge whinge, yet do nothing about it.

Unbelievable. For such as hard game that Rugby League is, its supporters are soft as you can get.

robbieando

Juniors
Mark Rudd said:
All you guys ever do is whinge whinge whinge

Funny you seem to do most of the whinging.

If the NRL looked at what the AFL does in Sydney, then maybe more people would get involved in League. At the moment, there is shit all junior development, no advertising and little media coverage. Blame the AFL all you want Mark, but its the NRL that has to act in a simular fashion to what the AFL did in Sydney in 1996.

Don't blame Ch 9 in Melbourne, because they show what rates well. They aren't forced to show NRL, they have the option to. Maybe in the next FTA TV deal the NRL do, the NRL give the rights to the channel who is willing to show live games into Melbourne.

Its people like you who are setting the NRL back in Melbourne, by blaming the AFL for all your ills. Look at what the AFL has done and copy it because its the best chance you'll have of improving the game in Melbourne and trust me there is a huge market for the code, but shit all is done about it and frankly its not the AFL's fault

Latest posts