What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we go to court to claim our premierships back?

Should we take the NRL to court to claim our premierships back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noa

First Grade
The process was diabolical Noa but you have to think, would it be worth it? We can't go biting the hand that feeds us, News are what is keeping us afloat at the moment.
News clearly don't want anything to do with any type of legal action and if News pull out of the Storm we are pretty much done.

I don't even know if I would want the premierships back, I would prefer if we re-built the club honestly and abide by the salary cap and then come out and kicked some ass in 2011 boi :lol:
Sometimes maybe you just need to cut your loses and move on. Its easy for me to say because I didn't work hard to win those premierships like the players did but living in the past for too long will f**k up our clubs future.

I dont agree were done if news pull out.

Cryptic

Juniors
Mate, I see it this way. we went over the speed limit because of a faulty cruise control in a car manufactured by the NRL.
They've taken everything away from us. We have nothing to lose.

There is still a petal there which controls the brakes... Just because your enjoying the ride doesn't mean your blameless and it was still always in your control... You can see your going "over the limit" so you should know to slow down and be happy with what you've got... Not try to put the blame on something else and keep the "speed" creeping up...

Honestly the police would still book you and I personally wouldn't have an issue with them doing so... Your in control of the "car", just because everyone else is "speeding" doesn't mean you can do it as well then cry if you get caught...

Last edited:
There is still a petal there which controls the brakes... Just because your enjoying the ride doesn't mean your blameless and it was still always in your control... You can see your going "over the limit" so you should know to slow down and be happy with what you've got... Not try to put the blame on something else and keep the "speed" creeping up...

Honestly the police would still book you and I personally wouldn't have an issue with them doing so... Your in control of the "car", just because everyone else is "speeding" doesn't mean you can do it as well then cry if you get caught...

The police aren't always correct.

Cryptic

Juniors
True but if your speeding down the freeway and blaming cruise control, regardless of if it's faulty or not, you still had the power to turn it off or step on the brake...

Again... In that situation, I have no issue with the police booking people for it...

MsStorm

Bench
The process was diabolical but you have to think, would it be worth it? QUOTE]

Of course its worth it Belle. I understand your sentiments about News pulling out and us moving forward but the players, the coaching dept and hundreds and hundreds of emails sent by supporters to the Storm and phone calls complaining about the process of imposing such severe penalties, has left no alternative for the independent directors to go ahead with this action.

Have more faith girl.:)

PS I think this poll should be only for Storm supporters, and not trolls like Ulysseus who have ample opportunity to vent their venom elsewhere on this site.

Last edited:
lol. I might also fit into that category.
Look, all in all I hope something positive comes out of it for the club. I'm not talking about victory, I don't know what the hell is going to happen.

I believe we were denied natural justice and that the NRL process was unfair.

Fact: The NRL system is flawed.

Perhaps, but its the system the Storm and all other clubs agreed to be in. If they don't like it, try changing it from within, or go play in another league (oh hang on, thats been tried, and failed, before).

Fact: The salary cap system is flawed.

Again, it undoubtedly is, but again all NRL clubs agreed to these rules. Again, don't like it, argue to change it, or go play somewhere else. It is not an excuse to blatantly cheat it. If the club was so anti the cap, it should have argued that with the NRL and all its stakeholders, or ultimately challenge it in court. It was not a valid response to simply try to sneak their way around it.

Fact: We won those premierships in 2007 and 2009. There is no need to strip us of that.

What premierships? I can't see them in the record books.

Penalise us other ways if it makes them feel better.

Punishment is meant to discourage you from doing it again, and others from trying. The fact that the Storm aren't premiers in 2007/9 seems to be the thing hurting most - therefore it is a good and devastating punishment.

Fact: Melbourne is being used as a punching bag and smokescreen to cover up the failings of the NRL and the widespread rorting that happens in other clubs.

No, Melbourne got caught, and the consequences of getting caught were severe, as I'd expect them to be for anyone else who gets caught. If any good comes out of this, it will be a strengthening of the salary cap policing system and maybe better acceptance by all assoicated with the game that cheating is not acceptable. I hope all the cheating clubs get weeded out.

If News won't help us with serious reform, then we will take News Ltd down. This court case will be a catalyst to get rid of the conflict of interest News has in the game.

Take News out and the Storm disappears about 5 minutes later.

If we go bust we will resurrect ourselves one way or another.

I think you'll find just how few people in Melbourne actually care.

Perth Red

Post Whore
whilst the process of deciding the punishment was a joke, at the end of the day those premierships were won by the club cheating the system. There is no excuse. Time to move on and look to the future by learning from the past.

ps at the moment the Storm club and fans have generally got the sympathy of the RL world, it would be very dangerous to lose that by moaning about injustice.

bfoord

Juniors
Mate, I see it this way. we went over the speed limit because of a faulty cruise control in a car manufactured by the NRL.
They've taken everything away from us. We have nothing to lose.

I actually think the Storm still have a lot to lose.

• They would be in grave danger of folding if they lose News Ltd's funding (they currently lose around 6 million a year, good luck trying to find someone willing to buy the club just to lose $6million a year). i think it is a very real possibility that News will pull out of the Storm if the law suit goes ahead since the directors are infact suing the owners of the club (because of their 50% share in the NRL)
  • The players and directors jobs are at risk, if it is found out that they knew or participated in the rorting.
now with regards to your analogy;

if you get caught going over the speed limit for what ever reason you still have to pay the penalty.

if you want a proper analogy with regards to the rorts. it is like you were going 300km/h in a 60km/h zone

Last edited:

drago brelli

Bench
The Melbourne legal team is going to argue that it is right for Melbourne players to be paid more than the cap because of the fact they have to reside in Melbourne. Melbourne, a place where 90 000 turn up to watch two suburbs play each other.

badav

Bench
Fact: We won those premierships in 2007 and 2009. There is no need to strip us of that. Penalise us other ways if it makes them feel better.
Fact: Melbourne is being used as a punching bag and smokescreen to cover up the failings of the NRL and the widespread rorting that happens in other clubs.

I think you need to look up the meaning of fact, because every point you've made there apart from the 3rd is subjective and opinion, not to mention lacking of any evidence.

hellteam

First Grade
Don't do it, it's bound to lose, and cost way too much for the Storm. They will lose A LOT of respect from the rugby league community as well. If they take this punishment respectfully, some people even feel a bit sorry for Melbourne, especially the supporters. By taking legal action and complaining about it will not do any good because the fact is the Storm cheated. Just accept the penalty and rebuild.

It's just damaging the game even more, it will end up costing the NRL a sh*tload of money as well

little_aza

Juniors
Don't do it, it's bound to lose, and cost way too much for the Storm. They will lose A LOT of respect from the rugby league community as well. If they take this punishment respectfully, some people even feel a bit sorry for Melbourne, especially the supporters. By taking legal action and complaining about it will not do any good because the fact is the Storm cheated. Just accept the penalty and rebuild.

It's just damaging the game even more, it will end up costing the NRL a sh*tload of money as well

Despite having valid legal avenues, I agree with this 100%. We just cannot gain out of legal action. Copping it on the chin, and having a good crack within in the rules next year is the best way to put this crap behind us. Dragging the game through sh*t isn't going to help anyone; especially us.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
I believe we were denied natural justice and that the NRL process was unfair.

Fact: We won those premierships in 2007 and 2009. There is no need to strip us of that. Penalise us other ways if it makes them feel better.

If News won't help us with serious reform, then we will take News Ltd down. This court case will be a catalyst to get rid of the conflict of interest News has in the game.
If we go bust we will resurrect ourselves one way or another.

Fact: The Storm are disgusting cheats and deserve to be booted from the NRL!
Fact: You are a Moron!

STG-Dragon

Juniors
ps at the moment the Storm club and fans have generally got the sympathy of the RL world, it would be very dangerous to lose that by moaning about injustice.

Mate that's what the media (especially FOX) want you to think, while they are surrounded by all there agenda's. You will actually find most people are very angry and will only get angrier with this court stuff!