What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strengthening RL gloabally

global13

Juniors
I think if we are to see true growth internationally of our code some measures need to be put in place now to ensure we can continue on with the sudden surge of our great game.

Personally I think the RLIF and the appropriate bodies should really be looking to strengthen the game in the following countries:

France, Russia, USA, South Africa, Argentina, Lebanon and Japan.

By strengthening the game in these nations, I mean all efforts should be made to see these nations fast tracked to a truly competitive level. If these nations can be developed I believe they can then assit the other nations in there particular region.

Here in an example of what I believe should be happening:

BIG 8:
*Australia
*New Zealand
*England
*Japan
*Russia
*France
*South Africa
*USA

From there, each of these nations should be assisting teams in their region. eg.-

AUS- Fiji, New Caledonia and PNG
NZ- Tonga, Samoa and Cook Islands
England- Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Holland
Japan- Singapore, China
Russia- Ukraine, Georgia, Lebanon
France- Italy, Greece, Serbia
South Africa- Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria
USA- Canada, West Indies, Argentina

If we could create the situation where by these SUPER 8 were able to compete on an even level with each other and then they could lend their vital knowledge and resources to assist with the smaller nations close by. It all makes sense, yet I understand the financial plight associated with this. However, if the RLIF was to focus mainly on these countries and then have those countries claim responsibility for the lesser nations then I think it could work. That way the RLIF is not forced to feed everyone. Then again the smaller nations could revolt the lack of support then from the RLIF and this is not something the RLIF or the fams wish to see.

It is a delicate situation, nbut imagine is those 8 nation were to be gievmn everything needed to compete at the top level of our game? Imagine going to the SFS to see Australia play the USA and not knowing before hand who was going to win. Or going to Old Trafford to witness England playing Russis in front of 50 000 people?

That is my dream and all signs lately are giving me more hope everyday of seeing this become reality.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
The lebanon team will beat USA and Japan. I think in the next five or so years the game is really going to grow. However we have to have lebanese players playing in the NRL make themselves available for the national team.

Mango

Juniors
Global,
keep it going mate. I havn't laughed this much in years, I pin your musings on the notice board for the staff and they love it. :roll: :twisted: ;-)

dimitri

First Grade
i think you mean hours

if you have been watching the rugby yawnion world farce

then you would be in hysterics

or perhaps crying from how bloody boring and slow the game is

In-goal

Bench
I don't think some of those nations are the way to go, for starters France wouldn't want to be seen collecting handouts from an upstart nation as they have a proud history.

1978 France series win 2-0 over the Kangaroos

global13

Juniors
It point is not so much being given handouts (although France would welcome it I think) and not that some of these nations struggle presently. The fact is that for rugby league to be truly strong worldwide then we need to see these particular nations strong and eventually assisting other nations within their particular region. It is not to say that nations such as Lebanon and Italy need to be second rate sides, rather they should be being assisted by the bigger nations such as France and Russia in this instance.

bazza

Immortal
We need to have things that countries can aspire to.

For example if we had a European Cup and a Pan-Pacific Cup every 4 years and a World Cup every 4 years there would be reasons for countries to play nations with similar and better ability.

A nation can aim firstly to get infrastructure in place to be able to compete in qualifiers for these tournaments.

The next step would be to improve themselves so they actually qualify for the tournaments.

At the moment - the only real incentive to play RL in countries like Fiji, Samoa, Ireland and Scotland (besides enjoying the game) is to get a contract in the NRL or SL

global13

Juniors
I agree Bazza. If we had in place regular competitions, such as a full blown Pacific and Euro Cup every 4 years and a guarenteed World Cup in the middle it would give these smaller nations something to aim for and also give coutries like France and Russia a time frame in which they can prepare around.

Signs are looking better all the time and lets hope it continues like this and we can see some of these tournaments back on the agenda on a regular basis.

dimitri said:
if you have been watching the rugby yawnion world farce

then you would be in hysterics

Maybe now you finally understand how bad the league world cup looked to non-league fans.

Mate, as much of a joke as the union cup might seem to you guys, the league cup looked much, much worse.

There needs to be a lot of work done before it can be put on again without copping a lot of crap.

dimitri

First Grade
why did the league world cup look worse?

on average our scores were much closer

and dont give me that crap aboiut all the players being aussie

because the yawnionb world cup uses the grandparent rule and the residency rule even more

MARKETING

it all comes down to MARKETING

Latest posts