What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strongest 2004 team

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seeing as how there are so many new faces at Manly next year, I was wondering if you had a rough estimation of what your strongest 17 would be.
Cheers

Slugs

madunit said:
Seeing as how there are so many new faces at Manly next year, I was wondering if you had a rough estimation of what your strongest 17 would be.
Cheers

Why do you care MadUnit......all you worry about is Owen Craigie, MacDonalds hamburgers and picking your nose :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW their weakest 17 would beat your strongest merged scum side :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also noticed you have achieved your objective in having yet another thread locked. Congratulations you must hold in the record in Australia for having the most threads locked by any one individual.....must be a record that you are proud of.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I couldn't care less if they beat us or not, that's not the question I was asking, I would like someone with any sort of League knowledge from the Manly supporters to list their strongest team, because quite frankly a lot of people have been saying that they'll be challenging souths for the wooden spoon, but in reality I think they are certain top 8 material for next year.

Can someone please answer my question and ignore slugs and his one dimensional views. Thank You.

Disco

Bench
1.A Walker/B Stewart
2.S Donald
3.K Mcguiness
4.A Torrens (after suspension)
5.C Hicks
6.J Mullane/A Walker
7.M Monaghan
8.J King
9.C Randall
10.D Heckenberg
11.S Haumono
12.S Harris
13.S Menzies

14.I Donnelly
15.J Hoppoate
16.L Williamson
17.A Watmough
18.S Dunley

*where Walker will play is likely to depend on the trial form of mullane (possibly lennon) and Stewart, tho i don't think we should through stewart in the deep end

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disco said:
1.A Walker/B Stewart
2.S Donald
3.K Mcguiness
5.C Hicks
6.J Mullane/A Walker
7.M Monaghan
8.J King
9.C Randall
10.D Heckenberg
11.S Haumono
12.S Harris
13.S Menzies

14.I Donnelly
15.J Hoppoate
16.L Williamson
17.A Watmough
18.S Dunley

*where Walker will play is likely to depend on the trial form of mullane (possibly lennon) and Stewart, tho i don't think we should through stewart in the deep end
would it be possible to play Torrens at Fullback, and have Walker at 5/8? I reckon if you can have a class ball player like Walker supplying Menzies with some good ball, you will see Beaver rack up 20 tries again in a seaon, like he did when running off Cliffy Lyons. When Menzies is getting good ball from his halves he is the most dangerous player in the comp. If he isn't getting this assistance he struggles to penetrate the defensive line and therefore the team struggles. I see this as being a contributor to Manly's poor season this year, what do you think?

Disco

Bench
madunit said:
Disco said:
1.A Walker/B Stewart
2.S Donald
3.K Mcguiness
5.C Hicks
6.J Mullane/A Walker
7.M Monaghan
8.J King
9.C Randall
10.D Heckenberg
11.S Haumono
12.S Harris
13.S Menzies

14.I Donnelly
15.J Hoppoate
16.L Williamson
17.A Watmough
18.S Dunley

would it be possible to play Torrens at Fullback, and have Walker at 5/8? I reckon if you can have a class ball player like Walker supplying Menzies with some good ball, you will see Beaver rack up 20 tries again in a seaon, like he did when running off Cliffy Lyons. When Menzies is getting good ball from his halves he is the most dangerous player in the comp. If he isn't getting this assistance he struggles to penetrate the defensive line and therefore the team struggles. I see this as being a contributor to Manly's poor season this year, what do you think?
I definantly wouldn't be playing Torrens back there unless it is absolutly needed, he is a caretaker at best, and young B Stewart is a huge talent
tho for the time being i can't see why walker couldn't play a lockyer type role, just chiming into the attack at 5/8 every now and then, and still being deadly on the kick returns

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Righto. That could work. I just feel that if you guys are gonna be a force you need a good five-eighth and a fit Menzies. If those 2 can combine, your go forward will be unbelievable. and with the speedy backline you have, the support play for Menzies should be phenomonal.

CliffyGC

Juniors
Paul Stepheson will be the smokey
apparently a big strong centre bound to put pressure on alby and co

fish

Juniors
I wouldn't be suprised if Hicks turned out to be another Girdler with the exposure to first grade he lacked at Penrith.That is my tip for next year.

roofromoz

First Grade
I reckon that Chris Hicks is a great buy for your team. He didn't play any first grade at all this year for the Panthers, but he had a full season for the Cougars in the first division, and was one of their best.

He's a good player. You can slot him anywhere in the backline, and he can kick goals too.

He could very well be your buy of the year.

Phillips

Referee
i reckon manly will go close or even make the 8 next yr, this would be my strongest lineup:

1. Walker
2. Donald
3. McGuinness
4. Stephenson
5. Hicks
6. Monaghan
7. Lennon
8. Leuluai
9. Dunley
10. Donnelly
11. Haumono
12. Watmough
13. Menzies (C)

14. Rennie
15. Harris
16. King
17. Mullane

Disco

Bench
Phillips said:
i reckon manly will go close or even make the 8 next yr, this would be my strongest lineup:

1. Walker
2. Donald
3. McGuinness
4. Stephenson
5. Hicks
6. Monaghan
7. Lennon
8. Leuluai
9. Dunley
10. Donnelly
11. Haumono
12. Watmough
13. Menzies (C)

14. Rennie
15. Harris
16. King
17. Mullane
King will be starting prop, no doubt about it, and Heckenberg is ahead of Both Rennie and Leuluai, and expect Hoppa to play off the bench as a forward

And Dunley ahead of Randall.....Don't think so

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you have a capable enough 5/8 to feed some quality ball to Menzies, a la Cliffy Lyons?

If Walker takes the number 6 jumper, then the question is, do you have an adequate fullback?

I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that, I am just curious, as I think that 5/8 and halfback is a position a lot of clubs don't have much depth in.Would you be willing to move Walker to 5/8 and take the risk of having a rookie start the season as fullback? Or are you going to keep Walker at fullback and have someone not quite as skilled as him at 5/8?

fish

Juniors
Walker must be at fullback,we saw the problems that arise from not having someone safe there when Reeves was injured last year.The problem position is 5/8 for sure but here is one out of left wing,if Mullane fails I would put Lennon at 1/2 and Monaghan at 5/8.I think this position would suit him and I think lennon could definately do the job at 7 from what I have heard and a bit of what I saw in the wales game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
anywho, do you think that Monaghan is capable enough of providing quality ball to his forwards. He hasn't impressed me too much in some of his performances. He does the basics but hasn't really expanded on them.

fish

Juniors
Firstly piss off slugs,if you didn't notice this is a friendly conversation and your rubbish is not wanted.By all means add your opinion but don't take another thread down the path you guys have over the last month.

Madunit from the games I watched and since I knew he was coming to our club I have paid close attention,he has impressed me.He has a good direct pass,likes to take on the line,quick out of dummy half and has a good kicking game,I think he will be very good for us next season.

chileman

Coach
Phillips said:

1. Walker
2. Donald
3. McGuinness
4. Stephenson
5. Hicks
6. Monaghan
7. Lennon
8. Leuluai
9. Dunley
10. Donnelly
11. Haumono
12. Watmough
13. Menzies (C)

14. Rennie
15. Harris
16. King
17. Mullane
I believe you've got to have Williamson in there even if he is coming off the bench, he is our best defender by a long shot and has good go forward...like Disco said too, I'd have Chad in there instead of Dunley and King would be starting for sure!

Disco

Bench
madunit said:
do you have a capable enough 5/8 to feed some quality ball to Menzies, a la Cliffy Lyons?

If Walker takes the number 6 jumper, then the question is, do you have an adequate fullback?

I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that, I am just curious, as I think that 5/8 and halfback is a position a lot of clubs don't have much depth in.Would you be willing to move Walker to 5/8 and take the risk of having a rookie start the season as fullback? Or are you going to keep Walker at fullback and have someone not quite as skilled as him at 5/8?
Walker should start fullback but young Stewart is definantly the future, anyhow u'll probably see walker play fullback in defense 5/8 in attack

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disco said:
madunit said:

Walker should start fullback but young Stewart is definantly the future, anyhow u'll probably see walker play fullback in defense 5/8 in attack
A la Darren Lockyer?

I just feel that without a class 5/8 you guys seem to lack that attacking prowess of Menzies. Mind you I haven't studied as many Manly games as you guys obviously have. I have always felt that Menzies was under rated, still is, and that he is one of the best players in the game. If I could have anyone from the NRL in my team he'd be my second pick behind Johns. I rate Menzies very highly yet it seems that he is sorta missing in attack as he doesn't have a classy 6 opening up the defence for him. Am I wrong?

Matt M

Juniors
Here's my team

1. Walker
2. Donald
3. McGuiness
4. Stephenson
5. Hicks
6. Lennon/Mullane
7. Monaghan
8. King
9. Randall
10. Heckenberg
11. Menzies
12. Harris
13. Williamson

14. Haumono
15. Hopoate
16. Donnelly
17. Watmough

On the bench, all can play in the forwards but Hoppa and Watmough can come into the backs if needed.

Latest posts