What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strongest French Lineup

milton

Juniors
What do you think, short a starting centre and second rower:

1. Escare
2. Cardace
3. Duport
5. Pala
6. Bosc
7. Fages
8. Elima
9. Boudezba
10. Casty
11. Larroyer
13. Mounis

14. Simon
15. Pelissier
16. Baitieri
17. Bosquet

The Daddy3

Juniors
Antoni Maria at second row, decent player but doesn't seem to be getting game time. Gadwin Springer is one for the future.

JasonE

Bench
I'd put Tony Gigot to 5/8, he has been really good since rejoining Catalan albeit in the centres

Storm13

Juniors
Seems to be a fair few younger players being picked up by the English clubs of late so could finally get some depth to the team for the next world cup and beyond.

jim_57

Staff member
Agree, there seems to be a constant stream of Frenchmen heading abroad to play which can only help the National team. It looks like the days of Catalans providing 90% of the national team are well on their way out.

A potential team for the 2017 WC. (Club/Rumoured)
1. Escare (Catalans)
2. Pala (Leigh)/Cardace (Catalans)
3. Duport (Catalans)
4. Gigot (Catalans)
5. Yaha (Catalans)
6. Albert (Catalans)/Marginet (Featherstone)
7. Fages (Salford/St Helens)
8. Bosquet (Catalans)
9. Pellisier (Catalans/St Helens)
10. Casty (Catalans)
11. Garcia (Penrith)
12. Larroyer (Hull KR)
13. Baitieri (Catalans)
14. Boudebza (Hull KR)
15. Springer (Castleford)
16. Nzoungou (St Helens)
17. Mickalezyk (Roosters)

Then there is a lot of young players both in France and at English clubs who could make the step up in coming years. With any luck Toulouse will be full time by then as well.

A lot of young talent coming through, looks good for the future.

Storm13

Juniors
Hopefully if Toulouse joins the super league structure (in whatever division) they copy the Catalans structure and still have a continued presence in the the French comp.

I believe the Catalans u19's are officially part of the comp from next season.

Also be interesting to see how the five players from Avignon go with their trial with Warrington.

langpark

First Grade
Hopefully if Toulouse joins the super league structure (in whatever division) they copy the Catalans structure and still have a continued presence in the the French comp.

Also be interesting to see how the five players from Avignon go with their trial with Warrington.
The certainly will. Right now their 2nd team, Toulouse Broncos are in Elite 2. They will no doubt move straight up to Elite 1 if/when Toulouse make the shift to the English Leagues. As was the case with St-Esteve XIII.

Storm13

Juniors
Is the Broncos team full of young French kids?

Also surely Toulouse won't be going to league 1?

jim_57

Staff member

I read that too, to me this is right up there with Toulouse in importance for the French game. I don't think it's a major coincidence that since they started playing SL opposition regularly this year more and more French juniors are trialling at English clubs. Junior internationals show the talent is there and it finally appears to be capitalized on. Can really see France being competitive with the big nations in 5-10 years if recent trends continue.

jim_57

Staff member
more than anything they need a decent coach. always been a big problem.

Definitely, trying to snare Trent Robinson must be priority number 1 for the French for the World Cup.

This might sound a bit outrageous now but IMO France should be targeting top 2 in the 2021 World Cup which you would think they'd be co-hosting. With the young players they have coming through now in their prime, a good coach, the home ground advantage and a fair chunk of luck I wouldn't completely write them off achieving such a goal.

Storm13

Juniors
That's a big ask considering they haven't qualified for a 4 nations spot on merit yet.

I would like to see them host the European Cup and for England to play them at home to build momentum off the pitch. They've had great crowds in recent times but never build upon it.

jim_57

Staff member
That's a big ask considering they haven't qualified for a 4 nations spot on merit yet.

I would like to see them host the European Cup and for England to play them at home to build momentum off the pitch. They've had great crowds in recent times but never build upon it.

For sure, but having a big goal like that would be good for them IMO. 6 years to build towards it.

Agree with the England game. Those 2 should be playing each other at least once annually and not just a friendly. Lock it in for after the Grand final EVERY year, put a big shiny trophy on the line and be ambitious with the venues and marketing. Should be aiming for 20k+ in England and France.

langpark

First Grade
Forget top 2. Top 4 is more accurate, which still is not an easy target given the improvement of Samoa, Tonga, PNG and Fiji in recent years.

jim_57

Staff member
Forget top 2. Top 4 is more accurate, which still is not an easy target given the improvement of Samoa, Tonga, PNG and Fiji in recent years.

6 years of working towards it and a lot of luck and it hardly the most unrealistic ambition of all time. Still very unlikely but what is wrong with aiming high?