What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sub sinks Socceroos

Kasper

Bench
August 20, 2003

Republic of Ireland 2 Australia 1
MARK VIDUKA finally broke his international goal drought but it was not enough to stop the Irish coming from behind to win this international friendly at Lansdowne Road today.

Socceroo defender Lucas Neill (right) challenges Irish dangerman Damien Duff. AP picure.

A goal by substitute Clinton Morrison 10 minutes from time gave the Irish the win after they fell behind in the 49th minute.

Morrison beat an advancing Mark Schwarzer in a race to a slow rolling ball in the penalty area, and just sneaked it past the Australian goalkeeper to edge it inside the upright and into the net.

Viduka put Australia 1-0 up when he trapped a long cross from Stan Lazaridis on his chest and knocked the goal in from point blank range, only his third for the Socceroos in 23 internationals and first in over two years.

He had the perfect chance to make it 2-0 10 minutes later but missed an open goal as he dribbled toward Colgan, slamming his shot straight into the advancing keeper.

The Irish started to get on top midway through the second-half and finally broke through with the equaliser in the 74th minute when John O'Shea headed in Ian Harte's free kick from near the corner.

The home team continued to pressure the Australian defence which was caught napping to allow Morrison in to a huge ovation from the 37,200 crowd.

The Socceroos had some late chances but failed to snare the equaliser.

Australia were without gun striker Harry Kewell who pulled out with an Achilles injury but was still the more threatening team in attack and proactive in defence in the first-half.

Australia had several clear chances before the break, the best of which came from Marco Bresciano and Danny Tiatto who were among the Socceroos' busiest players.

In the 13th minute, Brescianio pounced on a loose ball off a Steve Finnan handball and hammered a volley from just outside the box. It slammed into the underside of the crossbar but bounced out.

A minute later, he followed up with a rasping left foot strike from 30m which keeper Nicky Colgan fumbled before retrieving with the assistance of his defence.

Tiatto then had a chance in the 21st minute as he ran onto a long clearance from 'keeper Schwarzer and only had Colgan to beat, but rushed his left foot shot wide.

The Australians worked well to shut down Ireland's most attacking weapon, Damien Duff, with defender Lucas Neill covering him and Brett Emerton constantly dropping back from midfield to double mark the Chelsea forward.

The Irish suffered a blow when their other potent force, Robbie Keane, was taken off on a stretcher just before halftime.

Keane fell awkwardly over defender Tony Popovic after a clever combination with Mark Kinsella forced Schwarzer to do everything he could to block the shot with his feet.

The 23-year-old Tottenham Hotspur striker was taken to hospital for an X-ray and could miss Ireland's crucial Euro 2004 qualifiers next month with Russia and Switzerland.

0,5001,278730,00.jpg

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,7010331-23209,00.html

Big Mick

Referee
really typical Australian soccer.

Get 1-0 up, then defend...then lose. I was picking it.

It was soo stupid. When will people learn that Attack is the best form of defence. No doubting they tried their guts out but they shouldn't have switched off.

We missed Kewell i think.

weasel

First Grade
No need to be so harsh Big Mick. Considering the speed and scope of information spread throughout the internet isn't it a bit foolish for anyone to be browsing online at the same time they are trying to watch a delayed telecast of a sporting event? There are so many ways to unintentionally get results spoiled while online and in my opinion it's at the user's own peril if they want to tempt fate like that.

chileman

Coach
Ireland have won seven internationals in a row so they weren't going to be a pushover....I think we did reasonably well considering Kewell was out. I wish Morrison was still at Palace :(

Anonymous

Juniors
I think they took the Ozzies more seriously because of there win over England, sounds like they played well ;-)

Tigerpete

Juniors
Thought Australia were the better side until Tiatto went off and forced Laza up to midfiled wif Vidmar at LB. Bresciano went well in the centre while Okon seemed to struggle after 20mins.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I think Australia played pretty well.

This may be harsh, but Lazaridis really isnt good enough IMO to start. As a bench player he could be useful, coming on against tired defenders, but that about it. He struggled this morning and it really showed.

Lucas Neill played EXCELLENTLY. He closed down Duff very well and kept him out of the game for most of the time.

Okon did have a good game, but i still think he shouldnt be there. By 2006, i dont think he will be in the starting team so why is he there now? He doesnt even have a club after him. This would only happen in Australia. I mean come on - the captain not having a club?? :roll:

This would be my line-up for the next friendly, to test things out a little:

(4-2-3-1):

-----------------------------------Kalac---------------------------------

Neill---------------Moore-------------------Popovic------------Muscat

--------------------Grella--------------------Skoko----------------------

-----------------Emerton-------Bresciano------Kewell------------------

-----------------------------------Viduka---------------------------------

Mad Dogg

Juniors
That looks like a pretty good side. Although Kalac instead of Schwarzer? I suppose the friendly against Jamaica would be a good game to give him a go. I haven't seen much of him, so would like the opportunity to see what he can do.

SP

Bench
Ive been reading that Kalac has been going great for Perugia, so i guess it would be too bad to see how he'd go

aqua_duck

Coach
I think Australia done well considering Kewell wasn't there and Viduka was pretty sluggish, he never produces his club form for Australia. For Ireland I thought John O'Shea was the man of the match, scored a nice headed goal, solid in defence, made some good runs and delivered a perfect cross which Morrison should've scored with.