What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suncorp Stadium set to host NRL grand final

Shorty

Staff member
I think it's a cannibalistic attitude because you think that the GF should stay in Sydney unless...it features two Queensland teams which to me hightlights segregation in League which basically dwarfs what League could be and is detrimental for it.

The SB is so successful as is the AFL GF because the spectactors don't care who is playing.
Now if this was the case with League as well,then why should it matter of the location(let's pretend Suncorp can hold 80,000)?

A lot of people like to use the tradition line - But as was highlighted in the thread earlier a lot have a selective memory in regards to tradition.
If we were really going to go traditional the GF would still be at SCG.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think it's a cannibalistic attitude because you think that the GF should stay in Sydney unless...it features two Queensland teams which to me hightlights segregation in League which basically dwarfs what League could be and is detrimental for it.

The SB is so successful as is the AFL GF because the spectactors don't care who is playing.
Now if this was the case with League as well,then why should it matter of the location(let's pretend Suncorp can hold 80,000)?

A lot of people like to use the tradition line - But as was highlighted in the thread earlier a lot have a selective memory in regards to tradition.

Or even the Sydney Sports Ground :crazy:

Your explanation still doesn't dispell the 30,000 less seats argument. People can cast that aside due to emotion all they like but it would be the biggest factor standing in the way.

The only people "highlighting segregation" as you put it are Queenslanders with superiority complexes.

adamkungl

Immortal

Tradition can and should change occasionally for the right reasons. In that case, improvement. The SCG is a terrible RL ground, regardless of what the old timers think. Worst i've ever been to. SFS to ANZ, for the double (nearly triple orignally) capacity. But to Suncorp? It offers no real gain, other satisfying a few QLDers with chips on their shoulders.

Shorty

Staff member
Or even the Sydney Sports Ground :crazy:

Your explanation still doesn't dispell the 30,000 less seats argument. People can cast that aside due to emotion all they like but it would be the biggest factor standing in the way.
Pretty sure I said that should be the only reason Suncorp shouldn't host it.
As of the present time with the amount of seats available at Suncorp,I think it should stay in Sydney.
The only people "highlighting segregation" as you put it are Queenslanders with superiority complexes.
I can't be bothered,but there is far more NSW orientated people in here...I think one was 'Who let you into the competition':roll:
Tradition can and should change occasionally for the right reasons. In that case, improvement. The SCG is a terrible RL ground, regardless of what the old timers think. Worst i've ever been to.
And ANZ is the best ground ever is it?
It's got terrible atmosphere.
But to Suncorp? It offers no real gain, other satisfying a few QLDers with chips on their shoulders.
Oh please,that's a load of crap.
If the biggest benefit to the game was to keep it at ANZ then I'd agree but I think it'd be a huge boost for RL if they could have the GF in two different locations and it be successful.

Timmah

Staff member
Pretty sure I said that should be the only reason Suncorp shouldn't host it.
As of the present time with the amount of seats available at Suncorp,I think it should stay in Sydney.

I can't be bothered,but there is far more NSW orientated people in here...I think one was 'Who let you into the competition':roll:

And ANZ is the best ground ever is it?
It's got terrible atmosphere.

Oh please,that's a load of crap.
If the biggest benefit to the game was to keep it at ANZ then I'd agree but I think it'd be a huge boost for RL if they could have the GF in two different locations and it be successful.

Being a Brisbaneite, how many times have you attended ANZ Stadium?

When full, the atmosphere is electric. Origin or GF.

Far more NSW orientated people in here?

These arguments are dominated by self-righteous Queenslanders and you know it.

Brycey

Juniors
Tradition can and should change occasionally for the right reasons. In that case, improvement. The SCG is a terrible RL ground, regardless of what the old timers think. Worst i've ever been to. SFS to ANZ, for the double (nearly triple orignally) capacity. But to Suncorp? It offers no real gain, other satisfying a few QLDers with chips on their shoulders.
Its not about satisfying Qlders with chips on their shoulders - its Qlders wanting a share of GF action.

Many Qlders have not seen a GF - you go on about the 30k of people who miss out on the GF - what about the millions in Qld that haven't been able to make the trip down to see a GF.

You Sydneysiders are too spoilt and the majority of the GFs played at Olympic Stadium have not sold out. If the Qld Government can pay the loss of the 30k seats and offer a better deal than it deserves to come to Qld.

Qld and NSW should take it in turns.

Shorty

Staff member
Being a Brisbaneite, how many times have you attended ANZ Stadium?
Doesn't stop the countless amount of people saying so...
When full, the atmosphere is electric. Origin or GF.
Now there's a good point,when full...how often does that happen?
Origin didn't sell out last year and the last few years either has the GF.
So...
Far more NSW orientated people in here?

These arguments are dominated by self-righteous Queenslanders and you know it.
Um...no that's why I said so in my previous post.
Hell there was just another one before with mr roosters fan.
We've all apparently got chips on our shoulders:roll:

Well why let me stand in the way of a good presumption huh.

Timmah

Staff member
Doesn't stop the countless amount of people saying so...
So what you're saying is, you've never been to ANZ, so you can't actually comment?
Now there's a good point,when full...how often does that happen?
Origin didn't sell out last year and the last few years either has the GF.
So...
So in an 80,000 seat stadium, because it's got 78,000 instead of 83,000, we should remove the GF from there?

The AFL Grand Final isn't always a sell-out...
Um...no that's why I said so in my previous post.
Hell there was just another one before with mr roosters fan.
We've all apparently got chips on our shoulders:roll:

Well why let me stand in the way of a good presumption huh.
This has never been an issue before, and nothing has changed to make it an issue. NSW crowds have always been healthy, and despite QLDer protestations still are. Even when facts are presented that prove as such, they are ignored in place of emotional rants and Sydney bag-outs.

Shorty

Staff member
So what you're saying is, you've never been to ANZ, so you can't actually comment?
What does it matter I haven't developed my opinion from nothing.
The opinion on ANZ actually comes from most Sydney people I know.
The acoustics and lay out of the stadium is there for all..

Sorry but I don't have to go to ANZ to know it has a sh*t atmosphere.
So in an 80,000 seat stadium, because it's got 78,000 instead of 83,000, we should remove the GF from there?

The AFL Grand Final isn't always a sell-out...
Oh well you're ready to lynch Suncorp for not having 30,000 extra seats..so I thought you'd pretty much understand...
This has never been an issue before, and nothing has changed to make it an issue. NSW crowds have always been healthy, and despite QLDer protestations still are. Even when facts are presented that prove as such, they are ignored in place of emotional rants and Sydney bag-outs.
This isn't about the crowds.
It's about having the GF in different locations to strengthen the game and also give people up north a chance to watch a GF.
Share the game around with fans from different locations.

As I said,Suncorp should have more seats before hosting it but I don't see what the big deal is and can only see this being a good thing for RL.

adamkungl

Immortal
I wonder if Adelaide AFL fans spend half their time bitching about which teams to cut from Melbourne, and the other half about moving the GF from Melbourne.

Timmah

Staff member
What does it matter I haven't developed my opinion from nothing.
The opinion on ANZ actually comes from most Sydney people I know.
The acoustics and lay out of the stadium is there for all..

Sorry but I don't have to go to ANZ to know it has a sh*t atmosphere.
Based on others' experience. Opinions. You know, the things that are like arseholes. Everyone's got one, most stink. If you wish to take part in this argument with any sort of relevant input, having been to ANZ Stadium would surely fit the criteria.

Oh well you're ready to lynch Suncorp for not having 30,000 extra seats..so I thought you'd pretty much understand...
Nope. ANZ has never been less than 95% full for a Grand Final. Since it moved to there, the lowest GF crowd was 79,600-odd, for a GF between two out of town teams.
I'm lynching Suncorp for the less seats because even when ANZ isn't full, that 52,000 seater still cheats tens of thousands of people of a seat, when something bigger and better is available.
This isn't about the crowds.
It's about having the GF in different locations to strengthen the game and also give people up north a chance to watch a GF.
Share the game around with fans from different locations.
No issue with that at all if the infrastructure is there, sadly it isn't.
As I said,Suncorp should have more seats before hosting it but I don't see what the big deal is and can only see this being a good thing for RL.
If Suncorp has 83,000+ seats one day, I'll have no issue with it being a rotational basis sort of thing. For now, it having 52,000 seats makes it a no-go-zone. Simple as that.

Sadly I think we mostly agree with each other here, you just have it in your head that because I come from NSW, I hate QLD. While that's partly true (i.e. during Origin), I don't object to them having the GF if the circumstances allow.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I wonder if Adelaide AFL fans spend half their time bitching about which teams to cut from Melbourne, and the other half about moving the GF from Melbourne.

Adelaide is a piss-ant town with a second grade stadium. Sydney has a better shot at an AL Grand Final then them

Its not about satisfying Qlders with chips on their shoulders - its Qlders wanting a share of GF action.

Isn't that another way of satisfying Queenslanders with chips on their shoulders?

Many Qlders have not seen a GF - you go on about the 30k of people who miss out on the GF - what about the millions in Qld that haven't been able to make the trip down to see a GF.

Of course, go down then. If it was up there, wouldn't there be many New South Welshmen who won't be able to make the trip up, despite most of the competition being filled with New South Wales teams a good chance we'd be in there, wouldn't there. Heck, 100/101 enough for you?

Many Queenslanders make the trip anyway.

And millions...no.

You Sydneysiders are too spoilt and the majority of the GFs played at Olympic Stadium have not sold out. If the Qld Government can pay the loss of the 30k seats and offer a better deal than it deserves to come to Qld.

No, but the laughable thing is, they still go over 80,000. Why should it be about the f*cking money here, doesn't 30,000 fans count for you? It doesn't deserve. And we're too spoilt? Oh god, you got the World Cup final, yet, it seems you don't give a flying f*ck about that, don't you?

I hate this idea. It's...stupid really.
Like I previously explained, let's pretend what could happen.

@ Suncorp - Roosters v Tigers
@ ANZ - Broncos v Cowboys

Clever.

beave

Coach
The only thing wrong with ANZ is the higher stands are too far away from the action (they should have built them closer, overhanging the lower tier)and the lower bowl doesnt have enough of an incline to give the best possible views. Other than that, the 3 GF's,few origins, semis and club games I have been to there, i didn't really mind the joint other than the view. The facilities are alright, theres a train station there, plenty of toilets. In all honesty, until Lang Park gets a few more seats, I don't really want to see it moved from Sydney. There's more opportunity with an 83k seater to be able to see my team play in a GF is they should ever make it again. Cutting back the number by 30k will make it just like the old days at the SFS where only a select few could actually attend the game. I always as a teenage kid in the early 90's, wanted to be able to go to a GF there, but getting tickets was neigh on impossible (as were orgin tickets). I don't see a problem with it being there until Lang Park gets a few more seats, which may never happen, so for mine, Sydney all the way. The excuse of QLD'ers not being able to go down doesn't fly with me. If you team is in, make the f$%king pilgrimage for gods sake, it's not like an Origin where it's mid week, and you need to take 2-3 days off, take a monday off, fly down on the saturday and come back to brisbane or wherever on the monday. It's all part of the experience IMO.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
If Suncorp has 83,000+ seats one day, I'll have no issue with it being a rotational basis sort of thing. For now, it having 52,000 seats makes it a no-go-zone. Simple as that.

Sadly I think we mostly agree with each other here, you just have it in your head that because I come from NSW, I hate QLD. While that's partly true (i.e. during Origin), I don't object to them having the GF if the circumstances allow.
No we obviously just had our wires crossed.
My main argument sits me on the same side as you - Suncorp doesn't hold enough seats and as a result the GF should stay in Sydney.
If Suncorp earns more capacity then I would like the GF to go to it every so often.
So we have the same opinion I had just thought that you had other reasons you disagreed with me.

If Melbourne(here's to positive thinking) ever gets the same kind of support I'd be for it going there as well.
Hell that's another argument,I'm sure Sydney siders would be even more aggressive if the GF had the possibility of going to Melbourne:lol:

Bluebags1908

Juniors

The World Cup Final at Suncorp wasn't at ground capacity either. It got 50-odd thousand when the capacity was 52,500. The attendance at the World Cup Final was good, but not a sellout - every Origin match held at Suncorp has got a bigger attendance that the World Cup Final.

And besides - even if ANZ Stadium gets 80,000 and is not sold out at 82,500, it's still 27,500 better than you can get at Suncorp.

Last edited:

Dutchy

Immortal
GF should not be played at Homebush or Brisbane.

Screw crowds and revenue. Stop f**king Tradition!!

Moore Park!! Moore Park!!

Latest posts