What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suncorp Stadium set to host NRL grand final

davi

Juniors
The word in the media Brisbane could host a NRL Grand Final. The fact ANZ stadium will go under reconstruction will cancel them out hosting the NRL Grand Final for one year. I think Brisbane would be the best option then other suggestions thrown up (SCG, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, etc).

Queenslanders should relish it if it does happen because it probably won't happen for another 20 years.

Premier makes a play for NRL final at Suncorp Stadium
Sarah Vogler, The Courier-Mail
July 9, 2017 12:00am
premium_iconSubscriber only
PREMIER Annastacia Palaszczuk has vowed to step up Queensland’s push to hold an NRL Grand Final as early as next year, with such a coup tipped to pour more than $30 million into the economy.

Queensland has been negotiating with the NRL since plans to redevelop NSW’s ANZ Stadium were announced. No date has been set for a construction start.

Ms Palaszczuk said Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium was the best choice for an alternative venue and she is hoping NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian will be inspired to start the reconstruction effort after travelling to Suncorp for the Origin decider this week.

That could potentially mean a grand final in Queensland as early as next year, she said.

“The delay in giving the final go-ahead for the work down south is exasperating for us and the NRL which is trying to finalise its 2018 games schedule,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“We’re ready to go. We’ve already made a strong case to NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg. “They were very encouraging talks.

“Now we just want to finalise our bid and secure this marque event.”

The Premier is also championing a rematch of the Jeff Horn and Manny Pacquiao world title bout in Queensland.

With a state election looming, the two events could help Ms Palaszczuk and her Labor Government secure some support from sports fans at the ballot box.

“The world title fight between Manny Pacquiao and Jeff Horn once again proved beyond any doubt, Queensland knows how to host major events,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“And everyone recognises Suncorp Stadium as the world’s best venue to watch rugby league.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...m/news-story/d1ce1a8a822e5c32da1bd200e413dab7

Last edited:

Nice Beaver

First Grade
This bumping shit is ridiculous.

The referee thread had a bump for a thread over 10 years old with a single f*cking post in it.

He's taking the piss.

davi

Juniors
This bumping shit is ridiculous.

The referee thread had a bump for a thread over 10 years old with a single f*cking post in it.

He's taking the piss.

Piss off. This post is on topic and if you are going to complain about this thread then why don't you complain about the future stadiums thread.

King hit

Coach
Would any Queenslanders go to a Grand Final that doesn't have QLD teams though. I know people who tune out of the NRL when all the Queensland teams are out because Queenslanders aren't generally interested in a game with no Queensland teams. I would still rather play in front of 80,000 plus then 52,000.

If ANZ is out of action it makes sense. The only other option is SFS which is even smaller. Some have said SCG but that's unlikely. Eden Park would be good if it was a day game but never going to happen. MCG might be possible if a week after the VFL but we wouldn't sell it out unless the Storm made it, and perhaps not even then, plus the outcry would be massive.

davi

Juniors
Would any Queenslanders go to a Grand Final that doesn't have QLD teams though. I know people who tune out of the NRL when all the Queensland teams are out because Queenslanders aren't generally interested in a game with no Queensland teams. I would still rather play in front of 80,000 plus then 52,000.

I agree that with the larger venue ANZ stadiums wins out, but because it's under construction and if you are being consistent with who has the largest attendance Suncorp Stadium wins out.

Sydney Cricket Ground: Capacity: 46,000
Sydney Football stadium: 44,000 (seated capacity)
Suncorp Stadium: Capacity: 52,500

The other thing too is that Sydney had no problems with selling out Grand Finals between Storm vs Broncos 2006 and Cowboys vs Broncos in 2015. The mixture of hardcore team fans, and the casual fans would suggest they would be easily able to sell it out without a Queensland team.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
If Homebush was unavailable then playing it at Suncorp would be appropriate as it does hold more than Allianz and the SCG and it is the best ground to watch Rugby at (from my perspective). I have a feeling they would try to take it to Melbourne but I hope not as the MCG is the worst place I've ever seen Rugby at. I saw a Wallabies test there in 2007 and you were so far away from the game it was ridiculous.

And with the crowd in Sydney not being a problem in 2006 and 2015. Broncos, Cowboys and Storm have big followings in NSW and I imagine there would've been a good amount of locals at those grand finals. In NSW life doesn't revolve around states unlike how the QLD and Vics go on about NSW clubs and NSW as a state in general.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
would sellout @ suncorp in a few days regardless of who's playing
it would be history
& when ANZ is out of action for its refurb/ knock down / whateva the hell they end up doing
its a no brainer for at least one of the alternate GF venues

Raiderdave

First Grade
PS
but
it should never be moved anywhere while Homebush is able to host it with its 82000 plus capacity.
so this talk of the 2018 GF being moved to Suncorp for no reason other then that they want it is pie in the sky stuff tbh

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The idea that ANZ won't be available in 2018 is utterly ludicrous - the business case for ANZ hasn't been put forward - barely a sod has been turned on Parramatta yet FFS!

The GF won't be going anywhere for at least two more seasons, that much is certain. It's locked in there with a get-out clause during construction which IMO will start 2019 or 2020 at earliest.

Timbo

Staff member
I thought they'd already agreed that two of the four grand finals during the reconstruction period would be at the SCG for 'historic' reasons?

I think if it is to be out of action for four years as a grand final venue, the obvious solution would be four different venues - SFS/SCG, Suncorp, Eden Park, MCG.

Shorty

Staff member
Lol um didn't Storm vs Broncos look a bit shakey for a while there down south?
I'd happily attend unless it was someone like Manly/Storm/Roosters.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Piss off. This post is on topic and if you are going to complain about this thread then why don't you complain about the future stadiums thread.

You are either taking the piss or aren't the full quid.

Take your pick.

King hit

Coach

I may be wrong but I think the 2006 Grand Final is the most viewed GF of all time. Yes the crowd was lower than the others by a few thousand but it got massive tv ratings all throughout Australia and was a grand success either way. A Storm V Broncos GF would also be the NRL's dream GF I would imagine.

Nice Beaver

First Grade

Well considering you've just picked off the 3 most represented teams in NRL grand finals for the past 15 or so years, you might be shit out of luck.