What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Tele: Calling the shots at the Sharks

Calling the shots at the Sharks
By ADAM HAWSE
November 9, 2003
THIS is the first picture of the beleaguered Cronulla Sharks and the man most expect to be their new coach for the 2004 season.

0,1658,300215,00.jpg

While Stuart Raper, seen here controlling a Sharks training run at Wanda beach on Friday, is still officially an assistant to Chris Anderson, that situation is expected to change this month.

Anderson will attend a meeting with the Cronulla board when he returns from the Kangaroo tour on November 26, where it is anticipated his contract will be terminated.

Raper, who joined the Sharks after coaching stints with Castleford and Wigan in the UK, has settled in despite the constant speculation he is set to take over the head coaching job.

"Stuart's fine, he's going great," said Sharks chairman Barry Pierce.

"He had a meeting prior to Chris going overseas and they outlined pre-season training.

"He's settled in well and I spoke to him yesterday and he said he was very impressed with the fitness levels of the guys."

Anderson remains determined to see out the final year of his contract, but should he be sacked by the club, one of Raper's first tasks will be to convince Test centre Phil Bailey to stay with the Sharks.

Bailey has a get-out clause in his contract if Anderson is not coach, a fact bandied about after the latest public stoush between coach and club officials over the sacking of Anderson's son, Jarrad, from the player roster.

"For as long as the Anderson thing has been an issue, it's very clear that since Cronulla have taken an open approach to this, that Phil has an out-clause in his contract," said Bailey's manager George Mimis.

"As a result of that a number of clubs have expressed a show of interest if Chris is not coaching and Phil exercises his out-clause. Phil's position is he'll reserve his judgement.

"He enjoys playing under 'Opes' and he was a big factor in him leaving Manly to join Cronulla."

Pierce, however, said any attempts by an NRL club to poach Bailey would be in breach of the premiership's anti-tampering laws.

"I know nothing of any approaches, but if we found out then naturally we'd take it through the correct channels to the NRL," he said.

"Phil's over there in the UK playing in a Test so I don't think he'd be interested in talking about back home at present anyway.

"The bottom line is he's under contract to us and that's how it is."

Cronulla players have been told by the club not to speak publicly about the coaching imbroglio.

Prop Danny Nutley said the team is focused on consigning a poor 2003 season to history.

"It's got nothing to do with us, so we're just staying out of it," Nutley said.

"Last year was disappointing but we've got to put that behind us."

Meanwhile, Wests Tigers and the Bulldogs are set to again feature in a first-round double-header at Telstra Stadium on a Saturday night.

Both teams will host games against yet-to-be finalised opposition.

Penrith and Sydney Roosters will be given a home game, ruling out a grand final rematch to open the season.

However, sources have informed The Sunday Telegraph that at least one of the clubs is interested in transferring their first encounter next season to Telstra, believing they could draw a crowd in excess of 40,000.

The Sunday Telegraph

Macca

Coach
I have to say that this is much better from the Tele. Adam Hawse takes an objective stance it is simply facts being reported. More of this type of journalism please.

Shark

Bench
Bllody hell, I nearly choked on my cuppa when I saw that pic of Peach 'pointing wildly' at the short, stocky and balding bloke with the Krusty-The-Clown combover blowing in the wind...I thought for a minute Peach was chatting with bloody Deano!

the phil bailey band said:
Raper will have to adress this pointing problem of peachey so he doesnt get sent off again

That wins quote of the month as far as I'm concerned. Brilliant!

Stuart was quoted earlier as saying that some of the Cronulla players were a little underdone and needed about 5kg. Perhaps Stuart could offer some of the extra weight that he looks like he's carrying.

And I love the Avatar El Garbo. Great work!

Eskimo Sharkie said:
Stuart was quoted earlier as saying that some of the Cronulla players were a little underdone and needed about 5kg. Perhaps Stuart could offer some of the extra weight that he looks like he's carrying.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking something along the same lines Eskimo!

imasharkie

Coach
Shark said:
Bllody hell, I nearly choked on my cuppa when I saw that pic of Peach 'pointing wildly' at the short, stocky and balding bloke with the Krusty-The-Clown combover blowing in the wind...I thought for a minute Peach was chatting with bloody Deano!

I thought it was deano........thanks for pointing out my stupidity shark :oops:

cheese

Bench
Merrit must have stolen a few of Owen's pies...

Man boobs and a tyre ....what the?!

Anonymous

Juniors
cheese said:
Merrit must have stolen a few of Owen's pies...

Man boobs and a tyre ....what the?!

I was thinking the same thing... although a few weeks of running the dunes should set him straight.

imasharkie

Coach
Shark said:
Nothin stupid about that, Bluey! Amazing what we see when we really want something...
Yes Shark I am a Dean Triester fan and would jump for joy if he resigned with us and on top of that I would make the pilgrimage to Shark park for the season opener just to make sure I would see Deano playing in the flesh, he represents the real patronism to a club and I reckon we would be absolute specials to win that game. Crikey I reckon we should start up a petition titled BRING BACK DEANO.......whata you think on that shark?

SirShire

First Grade
blueboatboy2 said:
Shark said:
Nothin stupid about that, Bluey! Amazing what we see when we really want something...
Yes Shark I am a Dean Triester fan and would jump for joy if he resigned with us and on top of that I would make the pilgrimage to Shark park for the season opener just to make sure I would see Deano playing in the flesh, he represents the real patronism to a club and I reckon we would be absolute specials to win that game. Crikey I reckon we should start up a petition titled BRING BACK DEANO.......whata you think on that shark?

Here here BBB. Deano represents a true Shark - he is the heart and soul. I would love nothing more to see the man back with us for 04.

I'd be first to sign that petition!

Shark

Bench
Well, the ball started rolling back in early Season 03...Recall seeing that banner 'Without Dean, The Sharks aren't my team' at the Home Sharks-Newcastle game?

Well, I was one of the clowns behind that banner. Sludge even had a laugh when I propped it up near the tunnel at full time.

But I don't think we need a petition. It broke Sludges heart to let him walk, so I don't think we'd need to influence him too much.

SirShire

First Grade
Mate, if you've still got that banner handy and Deano isnt with us at the start of 04, bring down to a game!

Shark

Bench
Salmon said:
Mate, if you've still got that banner handy and Deano isnt with us at the start of 04, bring down to a game!

Well...uummmm...it kinda died.

See, getting it written up was a bit of a rush job, and let's just say that the blokes painting it were good at sinking beers, not swinging paintbrushes.

Anyway, the poles were too lightweight, and they broke.

The paint was still wet, and it rained. P!ssed down, actually...

So, by the time first grade blew full time, the poor old sign was a smudged mess of black oil paint smeared all over a once-pristine, brand-new sheet purchased from Big W especially for the purpose of sticking it up Chris Anderson.

Anyway, it ended up getting propped up against the fence by the tunnel after the game, blurred smudgy lettering and all. I last saw it being dragged onto the field by a few keen but muddy rugrats. They tried a few AFL-style banner runs, but nobody told them that the mexicans use crepe paper and sticky tape to make their banners, not a polyester/cotton blend. So, once the third or fourth future Sharkie got entangled in the mess, a security guard rolled it up and our tribute to Deano was but a memory...

Well, I made the stuff up about the AFL banner runs, but it's a true recollection of events up to that point! Ahh, but it made it onto the Channel 9 coverage and Deano loved it, so may our poor banner RIP.

imasharkie

Coach
Everyone should roll up to the 1st game with a small banner on a stick with a BRING BACK DEANO slogan....wonder if that would get a mention at board level and yes shark I did see the sign on tv...well done

Genius Freak

Juniors
Hopefully we won't have to rock up to the opening game with banners calling for Deano's reinstatement. Hopefully by then this entire mess will be well sorted and Deano will be back where he belongs.

Does anyone know where Deano would be found right now?

Frenzy I know you would even if youre one of the tiny minority who arent pro-Deano!

Latest posts