What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super 8's

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Featherstone!!!! WTF? The Dobbins can't hold on to a lead, that's why they've gone down. Good riddance. It'll be interesting to see if Hudgell continues to put his hand in his pocket with less central funding and attendances slashed in half.

I actually think Featherstone would be great in super league. I woudnt promote them over a London or Tornonto but when comparing them to clubs like wakefield and Hull KR I think they have a stronger fan base despite years in the championship

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
You know festherstone is a village with a population of just 15,000 don't you?

I had no idea I thought it was a similar size to a Carstleford or Wakefield. Either way if they were in the super league at the expense of a Wakefield or Hull KR I can see them still getting bigger crowds

roughyedspud

Coach
Nah they wouldn't...they'd max out at 6000,7000 tops with little or no scope to attract anymore...where as wakefield,hullkr,salford have the potential,given the metro population,to attract 10k plus crowds

Evil Homer

Staff member
Nah they wouldn't...they'd max out at 6000,7000 tops with little or no scope to attract anymore...where as wakefield,hullkr,salford have the potential,given the metro population,to attract 10k plus crowds
It would be closer to 2-3000 to be honest. I doubt there are too many people in Featherstone that are interested in watching RL that don't do so already.

Out of the 30+ pro clubs in the British system, Featherstone would be close to the worst candidate to be in Super League.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Rovers should be kicked out of the Challene Cup for a couple of years for their fan behaviour too. And heavily fined.
Yes I remember being in Australia and watching a news bulletin about KR fans kicking off and bringing the goal posts down in 2000, I bet they where Hull City fans.

Someone call the looney bin

marwan-koukash-million-pound-game-celeb-salford_3799261.jpg

Yes I remember being in Australia and watching a news bulletin about KR fans kicking off and bringing the goal posts down in 2000, I bet they where Hull City fans.
That was Hull. And they were punted from the CC for a year. Rovers should go for this too.

adamkungl

Immortal
Arrrrh... but hold your breath.

Koukash has come out and said he'll probably stay on but is looking for a change of strategy. Wants to sign a couple of decent players, get more fans in the gate, cut off-field wastage that has resulted in him pouring in too much of his own money. The goal is for the club to grow its fanbase and become self sufficient.

Not many people will argue against a strong Manchester team so good luck to them.

Evil Homer

Staff member
So he wants to have a better team, more fans and pay less. Well der. Surely that would have been his strategy all along and it hasn't happened.
I feel a bit sorry for the bloke to be honest, he was very naive when he started and made some poor decisions as well as being taken advantage of by certain people. They actually seemed to have turned things around this year prior to the points deduction, there are still a lot of issues they need to fix up but the fact that they managed to avoid relegation in such a spectacular way will hopefully give the club a boost to do that, God knows they need it.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
That was incredible by salford to win that game. koukash looked very pleased so I cannot see him leaving short term. hopefully they use this as a fresh start to build their fan base.

Commiserations to Hull kr, they seem to have a very loyal fan base that turn up more so than say Salford.

Let this be the last "million pound game" as I hate the concept. the 7 games in the qualifiers are sufficient to sort out the 4 super league clubs for the year and make sure the teams going up are ready and have done so on merit.

Very interesting championship next season. KR, Bradford, Toulouse, London would be favourites for top 4, but then you have the likes of Halifax, Sheffield and batley who could be in the mix. Go Toulouse!

Hopefully wire destroy Wigan next week.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Very interesting championship next season. KR, Bradford, Toulouse, London would be favourites for top 4, but then you have the likes of Halifax, Sheffield and batley who could be in the mix. Go Toulouse!
Sheffield will be lucky to still be in existence in 2017.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Sheffield will be lucky to still be in existence in 2017.

What's the latest there? last I heard they were back in talks with council

If they have to fold and reform in league 1, I assume Barrow as playoff finalists would go up to be the twelfth team.

adamkungl

Immortal
Let this be the last "million pound game" as I hate the concept. the 7 games in the qualifiers are sufficient to sort out the 4 super league clubs for the year and make sure the teams going up are ready and have done so on merit.

It's great imo. My only issue with it is how draw out it is. Cut the number of teams in the round robin to 6 or 4 but keep the same concept.

WireMan

Bench
Finishing top of a league should be enough to win it. Not finishing bottom should be enough to stay up.

However sky call the shots and they need the drama.

I wonder if Eddie has calmed down yet. He sounded a tad upset after his beloved saints got beat.

deluded pom?

Coach
Finishing top of a league should be enough to win it. Not finishing bottom should be enough to stay up.

However sky call the shots and they need the drama.

I wonder if Eddie has calmed down yet. He sounded a tad upset after his beloved saints got beat.
Sky had nothing to do with the 3 x 8 concept. The clubs wanted more games to generate more money. The clubs voted for it albeit with a bit of blackmail from the RFL.