What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super 8's

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'd consider ending the season earlier (late August/early September) and then hold a 'War of the Roses'. Yorkshire v Lancashire is a huge fixture during the county cricket season and a proper county rivalry could help to spark some interest in the game from neutral and part time supporters. Plus, playing against the best players should lead to better players being produced for the national team, making them stronger which would lead to more interest from the public as they genuinely begin to compete for silverware at an international level.
Nah

emesssea

Juniors
You sound desperate here to make a point that has failed.

Oh and if you want to attract fans in the UK using a system everyone knows would be a start.

What next wire vs Wigan in a best of 7 final? Play over 5 days? What sport would you like emulate?
Sports fans in the UK know football. Introducing a new concept to Northern sports fans sounds like a good plan for growth. No really.

But I dont need to attract fans in the UK to that system, as its already been embraced by those fans:
Super Legaue
English Premiership
Pro12
One day cricket
Twenty20 cricket

Those 5 UK based leagues/competition all have playoffs instead of a home-away, team with the most points wins format.

County championships, and the soccer leagues are the only ones that don't, and as I've said before those leagues have a pseudoplayoff race in the form of UCL and europa league places that keep the league interesting even if a team is running away with the title, something the Super League doesn't have the luxury to rely on.

WireMan

Bench
But I dont need to attract fans in the UK to that system, as its already been embraced by those fans:
Super Legaue
English Premiership
Pro12
One day cricket
Twenty20 cricket

Those 5 UK based leagues/competition all have playoffs instead of a home-away, team with the most points wins format.

County championships, and the soccer leagues are the only ones that don't, and as I've said before those leagues have a pseudoplayoff race in the form of UCL and europa league places that keep the league interesting even if a team is running away with the title, something the Super League doesn't have the luxury to rely on.

Pro12? Cricket?

Do you know the market rugby league need to get into to grow?
I will give you a clue, it has nothing to do any sport you have mentioned.

emesssea

Juniors
Pro12? Cricket?

Do you know the market rugby league need to get into to grow?
I will give you a clue, it has nothing to do any sport you have mentioned.

Whatever market the super league, which exist in a vacuum, needs to get into will ignore it if it has no playoffs, as many games especially by June will be meaningless and all of them will be meaningless if one club is above the rest. Thus the need for playoffs, it keeps the season generating interest.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The issue that i see with that is SL doesn't have the talent to spread across 24 clubs to keep things somewhat even. Either the gap between top and bottom would become excessive or the talent will be diluted to a level of mediocrity, leading to a weaker national team due to a lack of exposure to opposition talent at club level.
I'd go as far as culling the leagues to a 10 or even 8 team competition with standard promotion/relegation and the top 4 playing off to be champions.
All the Super 8 idea does is drag the season out unnecessarily, leaving people to grow bored of the product at around the time that the EPL kicks off and has the most excitement around it.

I have long said cutting the top 2 tiers to 10 teams each with P&R would have a much better balance. the shortfall in games on the current format can be made up by a Scottish style single round robin league split (18 + 4 + playoffs + GF) and an additional group round robin into knockout tournament for the top 20 clubs. licensing into the top 20 would be strictly Controlled on financial, development and stadia criteria with the goal of all 20 being full time professional. league one remains the entry league and formatted accordingly, perhaps split into multiple leagues/levels itself.

20 teams could be, in an ideal world
-Leeds, Bradford, hull fc, hull kr, Huddersfield, Halifax, castleford, Wakefield
-Wigan, Widnes, wire, saints, Leigh, Salford
-London, Newcastle, Toronto, Toulouse, catalans, welsh side

Basically it's expanding on the idea of when we had the period of licensing with the 14 teams.

Latest posts