What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super Duper Double Header

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/e7e2f5fa5579d5b31fd400e326b12300

THE NRL season is poised to kick off next year with a spectacular international double-header in front of a huge crowd at ANZ Stadium.

Plans are well advanced for South Sydney and St George Illawarra to play two English Super League teams — Wigan and Hull FC — on the same day in the pre-season.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Souths would confront Wigan while the Dragons would play Hull on February 16 in an exhibition extravaganza which should attract at least 40,000 fans.

It is understood the traditional pre-season Charity Shield between the Rabbitohs and Dragons would be played a week later.

68aafb125ce43167387b1f52a4f6fa6b

Perennial powerhouses Wigan are expected to take on Souths.
With the Nines and indigenous All Stars matches off the agenda in 2018 due to the World Cup crowding the off-season calendar, this double-header could serve as an unofficial start to the NRL year ahead.

The Daily Telegraph has been the told Souths and the Dragons are just awaiting final confirmation from England before the matches are officially announced.

The NRL isn’t contributing financially to the planned matches but Wigan and Hull would pay their own way with gate receipts and corporate sponsorship to cover their costs.

The double-header — which would be the first at the Olympic venue since 2004 — would create enormous interest from fans starved of footy over the summer and enjoy considerable commercial success.

BARGAIN: The seven best value players of 2017

BOOZE: Blues duo at it again

Rugby league has never engaged two English teams to help kickstart a season.

It is unknown whether the World Club Series — which incorporated the annual World Club Challenge — would now continue being played during the off-season in England.

Wigan officials were recently in Sydney to hold discussions surrounding their match against Souths.

The two games would give South Sydney’s Burgess brothers — Sam, George and Thomas — and Dragons five-eighth Gareth Widdop a chance to play against Old English mates.

One well-placed source said: “It will be a great way to promote international rugby league after the World Cup.

706a085ccb01b4ec6b71bb91826dd750

Hull FC are also expected to make the trip.
“Souths and the Dragons have strong and traditional supporter bases. Both also play games out of ANZ Stadium.

“It be interesting to see how many English fans make the journey out to get some sun, surf and footy.”

Wigan and Hull have indicated they would be sending their strongest possible sides to Australia.

Souths have a strong Super League connection with Michael Maguire having coached Wigan in 2010 and 2011, winning a Super League title and the Challenge Cup.

Rabbitohs general manager of football Shane Richardson launched Gateshead Thunder and was also the successful chief executive of Hull while Souths CEO Blake Solly was previously Super League general manager.

Coastbloke

Bench
54,000 attended in Brisbane in 1994 when Wigan saw off Brisbane.
1997 SL WCC was a shambles and not sure of crowd figures.
Almost 32,000 attended in 2014 when Roosters def Wigan at the SFS..
Dunno, it could be done I suppose. Will need a fair bit of promoting..

They can't get 40k for proper premiership games.

If they made it cheap it might work but the pommy clubs will want a pay day out of it so they'll probably gouge the dwindling regular fans. It's too late for any pommy fans to make the trip on any numbers, not to mention any pommy fan willing to pay for a trip down under will already be doing it for the WC. A few ex-pat Wigan and Hull fans will go but if there's even a hint of rain or it's really hot and the locals won't show.

Barkley

Bench
“It be interesting to see how many English fans make the journey out to get some sun, surf and footy.”

If I had to take a guess, I'd say sweet FA. It would be more likely that the English fans that came out for the Ashes might go to the game although that is right at the end of the cricketing summer.

carcharias

Immortal
Glad my team isn't involved.

This is a massive injury waiting to happen.
Will coaches even use their top squad?

What happens to the charity shield?
( I didn't read the entire article btw )

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Quality negativity in here as usual.

Would draw 40+ at the SFS easy. Anz... ?

lol

What's there to get excited about here?

Its just that WCC crap, without any premiers playing and shifting it from England to Sydney.

Very exciting news for Souffs and Dragons fans.

What do the rest of us have to get all perked up about this for?

adamkungl

Immortal
What's there to get excited about here?

Its just that WCC crap, without any premiers playing and shifting it from England to Sydney.

Excellent. I will definitely attend. Rugby League clubs from across the world playing each other is always something to get excited about.

Hopefully the premiers World Club Challenge game is played here for once too.

Charity Shield on the other hand, wouldn't go if you paid me.