What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League 14

Super League to 14?
The talk in the papers this week was that Super League clubs are discussing an increase to 14 clubs, which would likely see Toronto and Toulouse join the party. Whatever it is happening, time is certainly running out to get things confirmed and announced, as promised, prior to the start of the 2018 season.

Tight lipped Toulouse
It’s been a busy few weeks off the field for Toulouse. They have overseen the start of their stadium renovations, including the demolition of their main stand; pulled out of the Challenge Cup; become part of Magic Weekend and now moved their Championship home game with Leigh just 75km up the road to Albi. Apparently, the Magic Weekend idea was sprung on them, much to the disappointment of a few club officials and sponsors who had already started looking at a trip to Canada. Their decision not to play in the Challenge Cup was a financial and logistical one – as non-member clubs of the RFL, the non-UK teams are merely invited and not obliged to take part in the competition each season.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-record-rugby-league-rumours-gossip-96/

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They are leaving it a bit late aren't they? If it went to 14 and Toronto and Toulouse were invited straight in I would imagine Leigh and London would feel a little aggreived.

adamkungl

Immortal
London have no business even being in the conversation for Super League at this stage.

Except they were a couple of very close losses from playing in the MPG, while Toulouse didn't even make the Qualifiers and Toronto were mucking around in Division 3.

If SL goes to 14 and P&R remains then Leigh and London should move up. Otherwise scrap the whole thing and go back to licencing.
The quality of their stadium and number of fans is irrelevant since SL doesn't have any minimum criteria rules on promotion (If i'm wrong here I'm happy to be corrected).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wont be until 2019/2020 at earliest. You have to question why unless there is a direct financial benefit to the competition via increased broadcast rights or greater corporate attraction. I don't see Toronto or Toulouse providing either tbh. SL is littered with failed SL expansion sides, lets not rush in again!
Celtic Crusaders
Sheffield Eagles
PSG
London Broncos

adamkungl

Immortal
Not really sure what 14 teams achieves. If they have that much extra funding to spare better off raising the standards of SL and the next 2 tiers.
It seems like there's a view that certain teams "should" be in SL. But they also want to keep P&R. Can't have it both ways.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Except they were a couple of very close losses from playing in the MPG, while Toulouse didn't even make the Qualifiers and Toronto were mucking around in Division 3.

If SL goes to 14 and P&R remains then Leigh and London should move up. Otherwise scrap the whole thing and go back to licencing.
The quality of their stadium and number of fans is irrelevant since SL doesn't have any minimum criteria rules on promotion (If i'm wrong here I'm happy to be corrected).

Yes that was my point on London and Leigh. If they finished the Super 8 Qualifier's high enough, they would have been in SL anyway - so if two more spots open up, they were the next two in line based on the current rules.

I don't actually mind if Toulouse and Toronto get given the nod, I think it is good for the game. My point was just that Leigh and London would rightfully feel a bit p!ssed off.

Not really sure what 14 teams achieves. If they have that much extra funding to spare better off raising the standards of SL and the next 2 tiers.
It seems like there's a view that certain teams "should" be in SL. But they also want to keep P&R. Can't have it both ways.
I think the thinking about getting Toronto into Super League is to try and break into the lucrative North American sports market and try and get North American corporate's on board.
I'm given to understand as well that they wouldn't be adverse to letting other North American cities into their comp and even raising it to 16 teams for the same reason.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
I think the thinking about getting Toronto into Super League is to try and break into the lucrative North American sports market and try and get North American corporate's on board.
I'm given to understand as well that they wouldn't be adverse to letting other North American cities into their comp and even raising it to 16 teams for the same reason.
step by step!!

deluded pom?

Coach
Wont be until 2019/2020 at earliest. You have to question why unless there is a direct financial benefit to the competition via increased broadcast rights or greater corporate attraction. I don't see Toronto or Toulouse providing either tbh. SL is littered with failed SL expansion sides, lets not rush in again!
Celtic Crusaders
Sheffield Eagles
PSG
London Broncos

Crusaders and PSG were SL failures. London and Sheffield were around long before SL began.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Both Toronto and Toulouse have proven they can attract crowds big enough and they are handled professionally enough, neither could be said about Crusaders or London.

You cannot just equate every expansion team.

Neither team costs the RFL ANY money so they would have nothing to use to “improve Super League”.

The only reason one might be against it is the same attitude that has kept Rugby League stuck in northern England while Union was spreading everywhere.

This is probably the last roll of the dice for northern hemisphere Rugby League. Either grow the pie, or any talent will always leave for NRL or Union.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Both Toronto and Toulouse have proven they can attract crowds big enough and they are handled professionally enough, neither could be said about Crusaders or London.

You cannot just equate every expansion team.

Neither team costs the RFL ANY money so they would have nothing to use to “improve Super League”.

The only reason one might be against it is the same attitude that has kept Rugby League stuck in northern England while Union was spreading everywhere.

This is probably the last roll of the dice for northern hemisphere Rugby League. Either grow the pie, or any talent will always leave for NRL or Union.

When you say they wont cost any money, surely they will get the SL grant same as the other clubs and then there are the costs of holding an extra game each round for the SL. Then travel has to be factored in and who will carry the cost of that? Pretty sure the SL players wont be happy with backpacker quality travel and accom that Toronto currently cover!

I want expansion but it has to be sustainable and add value to SL. Too many cases in last 20 years of failed expansion whims, lets have just one that is successful please!

roughyedspud

Coach
No...it's the rugby league world and we can shape how we like...

We've tried transplanting teams into SL and it's failed each time..I'm more than happy to have Toronto & Toulouse in SL but they need to earn it,they'll be stronger for it.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Yeah, i like the idea of earning their way in and for future clubs to have to do so too. With all the new transatlantic clubs coming in there is an actual prospect of the Championship being a really strong division and having a really solid profile. Managed the right way and the Northern hemisphere can have what the NRL will never have in having a viable route to expansion through promotion relegation.

Latest posts