What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Expansion (possible)

Friends in England tell me that when Toronto and London are in Super League and either Catalans or Toulouse or both are there as well the RFL will go back to licensing. Just saying

deluded pom?

Coach
No one would be forced to move up from their current level. Just suggesting that the possibility could or should exist through structured promotion rather than application when the RFL feels like changing things up again.
I don't disagree with you adam. The RFL should sound out any amateur clubs who are interested in joining the pyramid. Another problem though is the RFL/BARLA situation.

Which clubs would be good for Super League that are not in Super League now?

The answer is

Hull KR,
Toulouse,
London,
Toronto
Bradford.

If we want these clubs in SL then we have to restructure the rules to make it likely. The only guaranteed way to do that is licensing. This is especially true when you consider that Montreal's bid is not far behind.

With licensing you could drop Leigh and Widnes, and promote the five mentioned, making a total of 15 clubs. That leaves one spot to be filled by Montreal when it is ready and viable, which would even the SL to 16 clubs.

Also if you want teams from the USA in SL in the future then you definitely must have licensing, to be able to open new slots when the USA clubs are viable and ready to come in.. That could eventually increase SL to 20 clubs or more. Again, it cannot happen with P & R. It will only happen with licensing.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Leave the usa out. Even montreal is a stretch, similar to Toulouse. At what point should you strengthen your own domestic league? Or create a new regional league? Or do you create domestic leagues with the top 4 joining a champions league? What does the future look like? RFL? Hello?

adamkungl

Immortal
Leave the usa out. Even montreal is a stretch, similar to Toulouse. At what point should you strengthen your own domestic league? Or create a new regional league? Or do you create domestic leagues with the top 4 joining a champions league? What does the future look like? RFL? Hello?

That's the question.

I believe in the French case, there should be an integration with the RFL system. With Elite One offering promotion into either the Championship or Super League. Then you have top French teams playing at the highest level and at the same time increasing the value in the French system.

In the American case - playing in the RFL system is a short term solution. I don't think more than 1-2 American teams is sustainable or ideal. Wolfpack should be used to invest in the sport in Canada and increase the standard and visibility of local competition to the point where playing in England is no longer necessary.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Yes agreed Adam. And remember that France only just changed their season to be closer aligned to the RFL, so not completely out of reach what you're suggesting.

deluded pom?

Coach
In today's Rugby League Express it's reported that at a recent meeting of SL clubs, six of them stated that they wouldn't support Toronto entering the SL if they were in a position to be promoted. Make of that what you will.

adamkungl

Immortal
In today's Rugby League Express it's reported that at a recent meeting of SL clubs, six of them stated that they wouldn't support Toronto entering the SL if they were in a position to be promoted. Make of that what you will.

lol too stupid for words.

Let me guess, the answer for growing Rugby League is to throw money at the heartlands

deluded pom?

Coach
lol too stupid for words.

Let me guess, the answer for growing Rugby League is to throw money at the heartlands
That's the gist of it. Some people can't see past the end of their nose. Apparently the reasoning behind it is that Toronto won't bring many away fans! Small minded people with too much control are holding the game back.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Do they actually get a say though? Isn't promotion automatic once it has been earned?

deluded pom?

Coach
Do they actually get a say though? Isn't promotion automatic once it has been earned?
Apparently because teams like Catalans and Toronto aren't actually RFL members their inclusion in the SL is at the discretion of the SL clubs. I believe Catalans don't get a vote on SL matters. I do agree though that to ask them to start at the bottom and then deny them promotion would be totally immoral.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Apparently because teams like Catalans and Toronto aren't actually RFL members their inclusion in the SL is at the discretion of the SL clubs. I believe Catalans don't get a vote on SL matters. I do agree though that to ask them to start at the bottom and then deny them promotion would be totally immoral.

Thanks for the info. Wow - hopefully the other clubs see the big picture.

You are right though, I can't imagine Toronto joining without a written agreement of inclusion into SL if it is earnt. If they were denied it would single handedly undo the progress made in Canada and NA

deluded pom?

Coach
Thanks for the info. Wow - hopefully the other clubs see the big picture.

You are right though, I can't imagine Toronto joining without a written agreement of inclusion into SL if it is earnt. If they were denied it would single handedly undo the progress made in Canada and NA
Hoe often do rugby league clubs, wherever they are, see the bigger picture?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Restructure will be forced on the RFL soon. I would love to see a Euro Pyramid build:
European Superleague with 14 clubs.

Underneath the ESL we have:
English System - English Championship & League 1 for all clubs not involved in ESL
French System - French Championship & League 1 for all clubs not involved in ESL
European System - European Championship for all clubs too strong for their domestic league and have ambition to play in SL one day

The Euro System could resemble the Pro 12 in Union with clubs from Wales, Ireland, Scotland and may also include clubs from Serbia, Lebanon, Italy. This would also be the place where future Toronto Wolfpack sides would start from.

P&R could be worked out by a playoff system at the end of the season:
ESL team 13
ESL team 14
English Championship team 1
English Championship team 2
French Championship team 1
French Championship team 2
European Championship team 1
European Championship team 2

This structure would be sustainable into the foreseeable future, it would allow all ambitious clubs from RLEF member countries access to SuperLeague, will open up more commecial investment and encourage investment into clubs from Canada, USA, Serbia, Lebanon, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Italy.